The Trinity-Whitgift thread of 2013

(1000 Posts)
hardboiled Mon 14-Jan-13 11:37:55

I thought I would start this tradition once again while we all wait? DS only sat Trinity...

FatalFlowerGarden Tue 15-Jan-13 12:09:32

burntoutdad - had to laugh at your ds writing something entirely different in the essay! I must admit the essay title sounded like it was asking for trouble - something about a photo and a nightmare? Ds said he enjoyed writing it but I'm not sure anyone will enjoy reading it grin

Best of luck anyway - and I don't think you need to worry re: your ds. I sometimes feel W is full of uber-confident boys but I know that's not really the case. Am sure if he gets called for interview they'll know how to get the best out of him. I think the boys can take something in with them to interview as an 'icebreaker' - would that work for your ds?

burntoutdad Tue 15-Jan-13 12:14:54

Marni23, are you sure it was a letter and not phone call? Will be sitting with phone next to door now!

Somelikeithott Tue 15-Jan-13 12:14:58

Yay! DS has interview at (w), next Tuesday. Post had arrived a while ago, but I didn't even think to look. I was doing housework. It was envelope right at the top as well. Just dumped them on the table an hour ago and only just looked now.

Marni23 Tue 15-Jan-13 12:18:35

Yes, definitely a letter. Sounds like they've started posting out now (this was for 11+). Good luck!

Somelikeithott Tue 15-Jan-13 12:22:41

Lol burnoutdad. I wasn't expecting a letter either, hence I didn't even check the mail when I dumped them on the table.

Interestingly, the phone rang twice in that time and I did such a sprint to it, I would've been awarded a sports scholarship.

Ours is 10+

burntoutdad Tue 15-Jan-13 12:32:32

Fatal- Thanks for your reassurances. He really does not take much interest (long term anyway) in anything unless its competitive - sport, game shows, total wipeout etc. Showed no particular interest in any other school (grammar or otherwise) but literally lit up when he saw the sports facilities at W. He actually asked if he got in could he stay at school every evening and go over at weekends. We could see without doubt it was the school for him, just have to convince them that. Hope they see past his quiet demeanour (assuming he's done enough to reach interview!). His essay slip might also have blown any chance of a scholarship. God I sound so negative.
On a positive note glowing with pride that he worked hard and got through a major exam at 9yrs old, no matter what the outcome.

FatalFlowerGarden Tue 15-Jan-13 12:45:20

burntoutdad - our sons sound v similar actually. Mine is pretty laidback but has fallen completely in love with W - tbh it was his idea to take the exam this year! I've tried to manage his expectations and he knows it's not the be-all and end-all as far as I'm concerned but it's tough when you can see how much they love the idea of it. My biggest worry is that he does pass but we're not offered any bursary - taking up a place without hefty assistance is out of the question. I wrestled internally with the rights and wrongs of even taking him to the open day... in the end I figured if you don't ask you don't get... but it's a big gamble.

I too am just feeling v proud of him atm - we forget how young they really are and to get through this at 9 years old and come out smiling is an achievement in itself. And there's always next year!

so interview letters are going out now... <<hides head in hands>>

FatalFlowerGarden Tue 15-Jan-13 12:47:09

somelikeithot - big congratulations to your ds! Fingers crossed, hope it goes well on Tuesday smile

burntoutdad Tue 15-Jan-13 12:57:46

Ah Yes - going to the open day did it for us. Walking around glassy eyed wishing I could be there myself, took us totally by surprise. Oh well what will be will be and yes there's always next year.
Just seen posties bike!

burntoutdad Tue 15-Jan-13 13:20:48

Post here, lots of Bday cards for DS2 -Nothing from W. hmm

hardboiled Tue 15-Jan-13 13:53:14

Yey! DS called for interview at Trinity smile

regentonian Tue 15-Jan-13 13:57:40

That's good news hard.. well done to all who have received calls and letters.

kimalima Tue 15-Jan-13 14:05:45

Helo everyone - I'm new! smile
My DS also sat T and W.
We got a phone call on Sunday asking for Interview on Friday 18th.
Nothing from Trinity yet.
Not sure if this helps anyone.

Somelikeithott Tue 15-Jan-13 14:20:21

Thanks everyone, here's hoping it all goes well on Tuesday for us, and this is a sign of things to come.

All the very best to those still waiting, fingers crossed you all get the good news your DSs deserve after all that hard work.

Kimalima, are you in the 10+ or 11+ camp? All the very best to your DS. Gosh they called you on Sunday, I bet you were not expecting that!

Burntout & Fatal, in someways our DSs seem similar. Keep your chins up, it's not over till the fat lady dances ( or is it sings???, going loopy now). We need to keep the positive mental attitude alive

hardboiled Tue 15-Jan-13 14:27:34

Lots of good news for everyone in the next days, I'm sure!

kimalima Tue 15-Jan-13 14:34:46

11+ camp.

Yes was totally not expecting a call on Sunday. And to make matters worse they called my husband's number - who asked no details whatsoever. Just know the date and time. I presume they will send a confirmation letter as they definitely didn't mention a parent interview.

Marni23 Tue 15-Jan-13 15:09:34

Woo hoo! Well done DC with interviews!

So T have started making the calls then...I bloody hope they don't call my DH's mobile. He wouldn't think to ask them anything!

Really pleased for you hardboiled. Seems somehow right that you got the first T call on here, given that you started the thread!

Marni23 Tue 15-Jan-13 15:13:48

By the way hard, any clue as to why you were called early? Low candidate number? Surname beginning with A? Early registration? Genius DS?!

PopcornPizza Tue 15-Jan-13 15:38:04

Well done Hardboiled's DS! We too have been called for interview at T on Friday - we shall be all interviewed out by the end of Friday. No idea why we should be so lucky to be called early - perhaps because we are first half of alphabet, or maybe because we have applied for scholarships, and the assessments might clash with interviews next week? In any case T clearly state that the order does not reflect performance so hang on in there everyone - not much longer to wait for you all I hope.

Zato Tue 15-Jan-13 15:41:31

Hi all,

Our DS took W and T last week. We received a call from W on Saturday morning to arrange an interview time but have yet to hear anything from T. No idea if a quick call is beneficial at all or just random. Think my hair is falling out with worry over this whole process. Can't wait till its over mid Feb.

Good luck all.

Marni23 Tue 15-Jan-13 16:05:44

Well done popcornpizza's DS! And Zato's on W interview.

My phone just rang. It was my Mum. Gah!

hardboiled Tue 15-Jan-13 16:05:54

Congratulations popcorn, zato...etc!
Marni, no idea why but I am absolutely sure it has nothing to do with the outcome, as many wise and experienced ladies have said on threads like this one. DS name does not start with A btw! Really really hope you and everyone get news soon.

hardboiled Tue 15-Jan-13 16:06:05

surname I mean

burntoutdad Tue 15-Jan-13 16:54:50

We were told that the sports scholarship tests have been pencilled in for the 21st Jan, so next Mon. Would assume that interviews would need to be completed before the invite for sports test? So could it be that those being considered for scholarships are invited first for interview?

regentonian Tue 15-Jan-13 17:16:18

Could be burnt.... but now thinking that if we don't hear by Friday then it's a no as we applied for sports scholarship as well.

This thread is not accepting new messages.