Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

OH of 8 years has 2 kids he didn't tell me about. Gutted.

(242 Posts)
Superloopy7 Fri 01-Mar-13 15:54:15

I found out from my OH's mother on Weds that he fathered twin boys 25 years ago when he was a teenager. I knew absolutely nothing about them until I walked into his Mum's house a few weeks ago to hear two strangers calling her Nan. I asked my OH about them and he said they were an ex girlfriend's kids. I asked him again a few days later outright if they were his -they look like his Dad - and again he denied it.

His mum eventually told me because she thought I had a right to know. One of the boys has just become a dad, making my OH a grandad and my 4 yr old and 1yr old aunties. I've been with OH 8 years and no-one, not even him, the father of my two girls thought to tell me till now.

I'm a reasonable, patient understanding person who can forgive mistakes but I can't forgive being lied to and even conned.

I don't know what to think or do for the best. We've been on rocky ground for the past 18months due to his lack of responsibility and preferring to smoke in his den rather than spend time with us. I feel this deceit is the final straw. I feel like I've been catapulted into someone else's life.

How would you feel?

Lueji Fri 01-Mar-13 16:35:59

You may or may not want to finish the relationship over this, but, if you don't break up now I'd insist on no more lies.
Telling everyone, including the girls and DS, friends, neighbours, whatever.
And not another lie EVER.

The same for his lack of responsibility and spending too much time on his den.
Everyone needs some time alone, but there should be boundaries, particularly if you are left in sole care of the children.

expatinscotland Fri 01-Mar-13 16:36:27

So he has a long history of lying to you about money, speeding tickets and other things. He prefers to smoke weed in a den to spending time with his children by you. He has lied to you about two human beings he created and a grandchild?

Sorry, but I'd have to ask him to leave.

He is a serial liar who lies to manipulate you.

expatinscotland Fri 01-Mar-13 16:37:18

Insisting on no more lies is pointless because this person lies compulsively to get what he wants. And not just little white one, but whoppers like hiding two grown men he created.

Arithmeticulous Fri 01-Mar-13 16:53:35

If he's willing to lie to you for 8 years about his two children and then grandchildren WTF else is he lying about?

bestsonever Fri 01-Mar-13 16:56:59

He's not improved much over the years it would seem, ignored his first 2 Ds's, now ignoring your DD's. Begs the question why he fathers children at all as he just isn't interested in being a parent. As his mother kept up the lie for 8 years, it would seem that he has deep-seated learned behaviour from her which is not likely to change.
As lies go, it's a whopper! Now you know how how big they can get, just think how easy he must find many other smaller ones?

lunar1 Fri 01-Mar-13 16:57:25

This would be a deal breaker for me. Who knows what else he has lied about.

So sorry you are going through this OP

Superloopy7 Fri 01-Mar-13 17:02:21

Blu - he doesn't see them as far as I know. I need to talk with him about why when who and hope that I get the truth. My DDs are minded by their Nan when I'm in work and that's where they've met them.

I feel contempt not for the teenager who had the children but for the man who denies them and lies to my face.

Thanks for all your supportive messages. It' helping me get some perspective on the whole sorry, sad business.

bleedingheart Fri 01-Mar-13 17:14:43

What a shock to have to deal with! And to lie and lie again when asked. How could he?
It would be a deal breaker for me.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Fri 01-Mar-13 17:15:56

Wow, OP, you must have very little respect for this man, and therefore it would surely be impossible to carry on in the marriage. It's not like a small mistake, a little white lie, or something else that could be overlooked, but systematic lying over a lifetime. Does he show any remorse at all? Does he smoke a large amount?

Blu Fri 01-Mar-13 17:25:13

Really sorry you have had this shock, Superloopy, very upsetting.

Superloopy7 Fri 01-Mar-13 17:27:36

If I carry on in the relationship I worry what effect it would have on my own self worth and self respect and the message this could send to my girls as they grow up.

I don't know how much he smokes only the amount of time and money he spends doing it. At its worst it was costing us £100 per week and he took money from my kids' money boxes to finance it. He manages to justify it all to himself though which is the scary thing. I'm not sure he thinks any of what he does is wrong.

Seems you have many reasons to file for divorce, and will have no problems citing unreasonable behaviour, as sadly there is plenty to chose from!

Honestly? I can't see how you move forward from this. He's a liar. He doesn't like responsibility. He thinks his own wants and needs trump everyone else's. He cannot be relied upon or trusted to stick with it when the going gets tough. So I'd separate from him, and work on getting my DC and their half brothers some kind of relationship. Because their father will never be worth it, IMO.

Feelingpissedoff Fri 01-Mar-13 17:32:11

I have a thread on here about my husband. He has two children that he never sees or told me about either. Who knew it happened in real life? There is amazing support on here,I am v grateful to the people who have been so kind & I'm sure they will support you & offer great advice.

TalkativeJim Fri 01-Mar-13 18:56:34

Wow.

Sorry OP but it would be game over for me too.

Lying is who he is. You must know that after this it won't ever really matter what he says again- you'll never be able to look at him with love or respect or trust (not that he commanded much of that anyway by the sounds of it). He's a pig.

And you're quite right about the effect of that on your children.

Finally, now that you know what a scum of a father this man is, presumably you won't want him, still lying or not, to be a full-time influence on them. That goes for the 'grandmother' who also contributed to the deceit of you and your children.

You can all do a lot better, including his poor sons. Perhaps you could keep in touch with them independently?

expatinscotland Fri 01-Mar-13 19:01:18

'I don't know how much he smokes only the amount of time and money he spends doing it. At its worst it was costing us £100 per week and he took money from my kids' money boxes to finance it. He manages to justify it all to himself though which is the scary thing. I'm not sure he thinks any of what he does is wrong. '

He doesn't. That's why he has no trouble manipulating people with lies.

£100/week?! Seriously?!

And took money for his kids money boxes to finance it?

And lied about two human beings he created, rarely saw them, didn't pay to support them, lied to you about money and speeding tickets, and takes money from his kids to smoke.

Yes, your self-worth will suffer if you stay with him, because he's a lying manipulative, selfish arse.

colditz Fri 01-Mar-13 19:12:54

Your children have two brothers to get to know. I would advise you contact their mother and find out why your so called partner has been such an appalling father.

lalalonglegs Fri 01-Mar-13 19:13:37

Even if it was a great relationship and you knew all about his sons, the fact is that he cut those two boys out of his life that would be difficult for me to get over.

expatinscotland Fri 01-Mar-13 19:15:50

Is he smoking cigarettes or weed, out of curiosity?

ZZZenAgain Fri 01-Mar-13 19:20:07

what a shock for you. I don't know what I would do in your shoes. I suppose you will have to start talking to your OH, maybe even with a counsellor and try to get to the bottom of this.

Do the sons live far away from you?

Tamoo Fri 01-Mar-13 19:31:24

I don't know much about the price of weed but is it possible he was actually snaffling the money away as maintenance for these two boys? And telling you it was to pay for his habit.

PandaNot Fri 01-Mar-13 19:41:01

I don't often read posts on here and think "that would be a deal breaker for me" but wow, this is absolutely one situation where my DH would be out the door as fast as his little legs could carry him! Wow, I don't even know where to start with how many things are wrong with this situation!

izzyizin Fri 01-Mar-13 22:20:27

Given his colossal sin by omission which others have colluded with for many years, together with the repeated lies he's told during your marriage over 'money, speeding tickets and silly things', the question now is what are you going to do in order to prove true to your word that you won't stand being lied to?

perfectstorm Fri 01-Mar-13 22:31:14

God, I'm so sorry.

It has to be the decision you reach, obviously, but I think you need to ask yourself if you could (and perhaps even should) trust someone capable of this level of cool, ongoing deceit, over so many years and involving so very many people. Is this the relationship model you want for your daughters? And when they find out about their brothers (and one day, they will) do you want them to regard you with the same level of betrayal as you now regard your MIL and OH?

Again I am so very sorry. It's unfathomable as to why he'd do this - never mind to you, awful as that is, but to all four of his kids as well. His poor sons, how must it feel to be some sordid little secret like this?

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 01-Mar-13 22:36:53

Get out of there. You have a whole lifetime ahead of you, you don't need to be tied to this man. If he will lie about having children, he will lie (as he has done in the past) about anything. If he can deny his sons like that, he's not a decent man nor a decent father to any of his children. Dispicable git, get as far away from him as you can and move forward in your life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now