Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Residual Parenting Commitments, The Last Turkey In The Shop, Boiled Bunnies, Men With Fish and Stolen Condoms. Dating Thread XXXI.

(1000 Posts)
FlorentinePogen Tue 04-Dec-12 19:49:03

Get on with it, daters.............smile

ike1 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:08:51

Talking about probing by e-mail ..for the last week and a half I have been messaging a bloke on POF who only sends 2 messages a night and then disappears...I am finding it a bit unsatisfactory..d'ya think he is a control freak or has a life??

OhWesternWind Tue 04-Dec-12 22:11:14

Ike sol says only thing to do is take him to court but that will cost money I don't have and take so long the sale will fall through anyway. So, can't really see any options apart from hoping he'll get bored soon and the lure of a bit of money in the bank will tempt him. He's very greedy.

Thank you Yoga. I feel a very long way from awesome most of the time but it's lovely of you to say so.

ike1 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:14:14

OWW God he really is trying to wring his last bit of control out of the situation isnt he? Its not in his benefit either really..

Secret grin

Bill no need to be nervous, just be yourself, take an interest in her and all will be fine.

Western seriously, you are a awesome. Shame your twat of an ex is still at it angry

KirstyWirsty Tue 04-Dec-12 22:17:25

OWW no Mr Cheeky didn't mess me around however there were some red flags ...

We will see how things go with the copper tomorrow

OhWesternWind Tue 04-Dec-12 22:21:42

Oh you lot are making me blush. Thanks NoMore and Juliette. Honestly, I look on this thread and see so many strong and confident women (and men), switched on, witty, perceptive and above all decent, kind human beings and I think the lot of you are great. Ive said before how much I've genuinely appreciated the support from you all and your patience in putting up with my angst-ridden blethering - this thread is Officially Awesome.

OhWesternWind Tue 04-Dec-12 22:25:14

^. See, told you I was getting better at sharing my feelings grin

Secretservice Tue 04-Dec-12 22:27:59

Bill my first OD was more than two decades after my last. You'll be fine, just don't invest too much hope into it, treat it like you would if introduced to someone at work, say, with the advantage of knowing a little about them from your chats

Hark at me a 6-week veteran of OD grin

lulubellaboozle Tue 04-Dec-12 22:29:01

western God you have had to put up with some shit! when I read all you've achieved and you are still having to deal with that twunt it's pretty amazing! Lets hope the ££££ lure him out!

BillMasen Tue 04-Dec-12 22:42:08

Ok so basically the advice is to be myself and smell modern....

OhWesternWind Tue 04-Dec-12 22:42:12

Lulu we'll both get there in the end. Actually in a way I'm glad about what happened as it gave me a huge kick up the backside to get out of the rut I'd been in for years and relocate, which I'd wanted to do for at least fifteen years!

Have seen a potentially good job advertised. Would it be unreasonable to apply seeing as I've only been in my current job for ten months?

OhWesternWind Tue 04-Dec-12 22:44:02

Bill also make sure there's nothing spilled down your front (at least at the start of the evening). And no mad eyebrow/nose hairs ...

FlorentinePogen Tue 04-Dec-12 22:45:26

Be yourself and smell classy. smile

FlorentinePogen Tue 04-Dec-12 22:47:04

OWW, good point about orifice hirsuteness.........nothing worse than nostrils doing hermit crab impersonations.....

OhWesternWind Tue 04-Dec-12 22:49:14

Smell classy but not overpoweringly so. Less us definitely more in the world of aftershave.

Nomorepain Tue 04-Dec-12 22:53:25

Bill - also make sure you have some topics lines up to talk about when you first meet up. Best to get the chat flowing straight away.

Western - defo go for the job! There is no stopping you now! It's brilliant!! Try not to think about your ex and jut be proud of the amazing things you have done with your life since he has not been in it. You are an inspiration.

I am really tempted by pof. Just need to sort out my profile. Any tips on what makes a good profile on pof?

ike1 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:55:49

Listen, I'll be taking those tips myself-the ol chin n nose hairs keep appearin now I am in middle yoof...should put that on my OKC profile under' things I dont want to admit..'

ike1 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:57:34

Yep oww go for it re the job!

ike1 Tue 04-Dec-12 23:11:19

Nomorepain set up a very basic profile press 'hide' and have a snoop on the other side to see what the competition have got on their profiles. ..when you see something you like you could follow a similar template??

ArcticBlast Tue 04-Dec-12 23:19:16

Oh hello again - glad I found you.
I have a question re: the dating websites, do men sending a message just saying..."hey babe" really expect a reply.
Not just the one either, btw confused

48howdidthathappen Tue 04-Dec-12 23:20:39

ike I had a similar one on POF he would only leave me a message if I was offline, as soon as I came online he vanished. They were beautiful messages, well above average. So eventually we spoke on the phone. I am sure he had the church booked. I ran for the hills.

So much Coffee going around. I can't keep up.

I have been texting with Mr Fuck. A tad awkward at first. But Coffee is on for tomorrow night grin

48howdidthathappen Tue 04-Dec-12 23:24:22

artic sometimes it is the same men as well. Over and Over.

ike1 Tue 04-Dec-12 23:27:31

Arctic Blast..lord knows what they want in return...48 we have mainly reminisced about the same youthful music haunts of yesteryear, gigs, architecture nothin too 'beautiful' he has asked me for a date but I've been a bit busy so maybe he is storing up the 'big gun' conversation pieces for when we meet...mm unlikely....

48howdidthathappen Tue 04-Dec-12 23:39:10

I had one last time I was on POF.

Hi hun, I see you are in construction, tell me more.
I had to check him out, who could resist.
His profile was one line. He was well hung.
I messaged back. Hi hun, I see you describe yourself as well hung, really not doing it for me. Good luck finding a fit.
He did see the funny sidegrin

48howdidthathappen Tue 04-Dec-12 23:46:16

I have wondered if 'hun' is code for something. Who says that in RL?

This thread is not accepting new messages.