They're not plucky Tuckers, they're turkey pluckers' sons - Archers festive chat

(979 Posts)
PseudoBadger Fri 06-Dec-13 10:06:25

smile

BitOutOfPractice Fri 06-Dec-13 10:08:31

Ah! My festive home :D

OddFodd Fri 06-Dec-13 10:13:47

Fabulous title R4. You are going to come over here aren't you? fwink

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Dec-13 10:15:28

fgrin

ZeroSomeFestiveGameThingy Fri 06-Dec-13 10:22:29

Yay!

But why no festive wine?

Gigondas Fri 06-Dec-13 10:30:12

Shiny new thread grin

BitOutOfPractice Fri 06-Dec-13 10:37:24

I have a question.

Could someone remind me, how on god's green earth Caroline came to be Will's godmother?! I just can't remember!

LondonMother Fri 06-Dec-13 10:52:56

Grundy optimism, I think. They hoped that she would leave him all her money, I suppose. She did provide him with a bedsit in the Dower House after the eviction.

ppeatfruit Fri 06-Dec-13 11:01:53

Thanks for the idea R4 and to Psuedo for the reality of the new festive thread cheers wine everyone!! fgrin I'm going to be away from a working computer for a week or so save me a place fgrin

ZeroSomeFestiveGameThingy Fri 06-Dec-13 11:06:20

Ah... I'm sure I remember Clarrie suggesting it to Eddie - but absolutely don't remember why...

I asked Google "Why is Caroline Bone Will Grundy's godmother?" and the first thing that came up was the Mumsnet thread. "Who the hell are Caroline and Oliver?"

The second was THIS I am so grateful....

Gigondas Fri 06-Dec-13 11:14:31

While we are on the grundys, can someone recap what happened when with will , ed and emmur ?

Did ed and emmur start at hen night? She carried on post wedding then found out pregnant. Did she dump will then and go back when found baby was his?

BitOutOfPractice Fri 06-Dec-13 11:15:23

Gosh! That's all I have to say!

It just seems so...random doesn't it?

ZeroSomeFestiveGameThingy Fri 06-Dec-13 11:22:00

Random but heaven sent!fgrin

ZeroSomeFestiveGameThingy Fri 06-Dec-13 11:31:34

G "It's complicated....."

And I was out of the country sometimes pre-internet so missed the very beginning of the saga. But it had lots of best bits - in particular: Will and Emma giving dinner to Ed and his new cool American GF - stupendous; and Ed and Emma negotiating, pleading and crying their way to a reconciliation - brilliant acting from both (not being mean but was the previous Emma actress - who really made her irressistibility believable....)

HumphreyCobbler Fri 06-Dec-13 11:55:00

great title grin

LondonMother Fri 06-Dec-13 11:55:05

As far as I can recall, it went like this:

Emma knew Will and Ed all her life and in her mid-teens hung out with both of them. Eventually she started going out with Will, but I think there had been some boy and girl stuff with Ed before. There was an incident I only vaguely recall when Ed took a car (Will's car?) without permission and crashed it. Emma was a passenger and had a bad leg injury. The Carters were furious and so was Will. Emma made a full recovery although she may have been left with some scars, can't remember. Anyway, she got some compensation money and decided to blow it on a very expensive wedding.

After her hen night when she was very drunk she sought Ed out and they slept together. I'm pretty certain that was the first time. Ed had been in love with her for a long time but she had chosen Will. Then in the morning she thought better of it all and told Ed it had all been a big mistake. He was absolutely broken up about it. I think he confided in Oliver who advised him to leave the country immediately (wonderful throwback to the old colonial days when the black sheep of the family could be bundled off to the other side of the world). Ed went to Hungary to work for a bit.

While he was gone, Emma and Will got married. She knew some time before the wedding that she was pregnant but he didn't. She also knew that the father could be either Will or Ed, and so did we, of course. There was a cliffhanger scene during the wedding when she went out into the churchyard to decide if she was sure she wanted to go ahead and Will joined her there. She told him she was pregnant but not about Ed. He was ecstatic and they went back into the church and got married. I think that's hard to forgive Emma for.

ZeroSomeFestiveGameThingy Fri 06-Dec-13 12:20:04

Excellent LM But I defy you to render the succeeding events in exact chronological order. Every time I try (caravan, DNA, American, Casa Verde (?) etc) my head starts to hurt....

LondonMother Fri 06-Dec-13 13:02:26

This will help a bit. There's a link at the foot of it to the photo-story the BBC did at the time, but it doesn't work, sadly.

TallGiraffe Fri 06-Dec-13 13:37:18

Love the title fgrin

Panzee Fri 06-Dec-13 13:49:56

Wonderful title!

ppeatfruit Fri 06-Dec-13 14:13:38

I do remember that Ed saved Emm's life at the time of the accident and it wasn't made a lot of apart of by Emm of course because he was in so much trouble.

BitOutOfPractice Fri 06-Dec-13 14:22:52

Could I make a tiny request. If youpost a link with a icture of the actor on, can you warn please? I hate seeing the pictures. I know I'm a saddo

I hope you don't mind such a request from a newbie!

ZeroSomeFestiveGameThingy Fri 06-Dec-13 14:23:11

LM Thank you so much for the Ed Grundy link! Fills in so many "wasn't there" gaps in my knowledge!

Archers Archivist on Feedback later....

choccyp1g Fri 06-Dec-13 14:45:55

Clever how they got Oliver to mention the god-mother thing, which was because Clarry and Caroline worked together in the Bull when they were both young and single.

As for Kathy getting the job, well we worked it out about 6 months ago. Do you think the SWs get all their ideas off here?

Panzee Fri 06-Dec-13 14:49:06

Did she get the job? I'm really far behind. Such a palaver for no reason!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now