Don't be a Lonely Cow! Come and join in with The Archers chat

(1000 Posts)
PseudoBadger Thu 01-Aug-13 10:10:40

New thread!

Somethingyesterday Mon 05-Aug-13 18:32:47

.....And the incoming Editor used to work on Hollyoaks and EastEnders. So we can expect TA to be more "teen" and more miserable from now on.

Oh dear god at hollyoaks/enders

LondonMother Mon 05-Aug-13 22:04:52

Well, let's look on the bright side. <Pollyanna mode on>

Sean O'Connor was the Producer of The Archers in the late 90s and he's directed in the theatre as well as Hollyoaks and Eastenders. Wikipedia says he 'introduced' Kenton, Lilian, Ed and Emma. This must be a loose way of saying he decided to make them into speaking characters (the younger ones) or to re-introduce them after a long absence (the older ones). Good decisions all, as I think those are four of the best of the current characters.

We'll soon be back to a time when it won't be embarrassing to have TA on in the same room as a non-addict. <Nurse! The screens!>

PareyMortas Mon 05-Aug-13 22:11:17

Hello fellow Archers folk, can I ask a question?

I know it's old news, but remember way back when Nic and Will first got together she was being really horrible to George so Will dumped her? Was this ever mentioned when he got back together with Nic? I've never understood why he'd get back together with her or why Clary would forgive either. Sorry I know this all happened a while ago but it was bothering me today.

Somethingyesterday Mon 05-Aug-13 22:23:49

It gets worse..... I swear I don't know what I've done in my life to deserve this. Tom and Kirsty getting frisky (almost) over piggy hashtags. The horror.

It seems the BBC are now using SWs too young to remember T/K the first time round. And what happens when Brenda comes home - probably all nostalgic and pork friendly, only to find Kirsty padlocked to the mobile burger grill?

JollyGolightly Tue 06-Aug-13 00:24:59

Parry - Nic and Will had a tedious chat over coffee during the course of which All Was Forgiven, even the slapping of George.
And I once answered my mate's phone to Will, or the actor who plays him, which was odd.

R4 Tue 06-Aug-13 08:11:22

I've never understood why...

Welcome to the club.sad There's an awful lot of character-change which causes much head scratching in listeners.

PareyMortas Tue 06-Aug-13 08:33:07

Thanks Jolly, it really doesn't make sense does it but you're right this sort of thing comes up often and yet we still tune in grin.

Somethingyesterday Tue 06-Aug-13 08:57:12

Parey As I remember it the resumption of Will and Nic's relationship was actually quite interestingly done. (Although the SWs were rather ruthless in dragging her poor children from one school to another and then back again.....)

I seem to recall that Brian sent him off to work at another shoot because Will was in despair. And that while he was away Clarrie did some thinking (there may have been a conversation with Nic) and persuaded Will to get in touch with Nic on one of his home visits. Once they realised that they would like to try again they worked out the issues that had led to Nic feeling stressed and overwhelmed the first time round. Basically isolation, being totally dependent on him and insecurity. So she got a job at the Bull and became more involved in village life, learned to drive and eventually they got married.

And now Nic is top dog and has to try very hard not to patronise Emma.

BoreOfWhabylon Tue 06-Aug-13 09:06:30

Hello Lonely Cows! May I just observe that Dreary Cathy has been v quiet about Jolene marrying first Sid and now Kenton?

ArtexMonkey Tue 06-Aug-13 09:34:25

Love the thread title grin

I had the washing machine on during the omnibus, and I 'm feeling it was the way forward because I missed a lot of gubbins. Although I am confused now over who jolene's other bridesmaid is; I heard meriel invite herself, and I heard j ask fallon, then did she ask someone else as well? Couldn't recognise who it was because the spin cycle was on.

WhatSheSaid Tue 06-Aug-13 09:45:24

Lily as bridesmaid.

Freddie asked to do page boy type role but declined.

Fallon as 'best woman'

And Meriel referring to the "prom dress" she wanted to wear as bridesmaid - I'm going to be all picky and point out they are not called prom dresses in New Zealand. They're called ball dresses.

Rob and missing wife have no children, he revealed to Helen they were arguing over it. By "family" she must have meant wife and in-laws.

Tom and Kirsty and the pig chat, oh dear god.

Somethingyesterday Tue 06-Aug-13 09:56:01

BoreofW Yeah... (I have ranted over this...) There was some hopeful speculation that it was a plot thing and she would find out and splinter into wood clippings. But that wouldn't have worked because the proposal happened in the most public of places and would have been all round Ambridge in three seconds.

I suspect the SWs forgot they were painting themselves into a corner - and are now too embarrassed to do anything about it.

WhatSheSaidgrin I'm wondering if I can claim compensation from the BBC for aural trauma.

PseudoBadger Tue 06-Aug-13 10:23:39

I'm on holiday and haven't been able to listen since Thursday. Should I listen again when I get home or not bother?

WhatSheSaid Tue 06-Aug-13 10:27:31

Well I'd listen again if you want to hear some fabulous pig-related Twitter hashtags grin

I listen everyday. Doesn't matter how crap it is, still love it!

PseudoBadger Tue 06-Aug-13 10:33:23

I'll catch the Minibus then grin

ArtexMonkey Tue 06-Aug-13 12:45:03

I thought kathy was a ok with jolene since the jamie shenanigans. Or does that predate kenton and jolene getting it on? Oh i dunno anymore.

Somethingyesterday Tue 06-Aug-13 13:14:13

Artex grin

Are you a Script Writer??

LondonMother Tue 06-Aug-13 13:34:38

Certainly has the same grasp of continuity we've come to expect from TA in recent years! grin

TallGiraffe Tue 06-Aug-13 14:20:41

If whiny Kathy spent less time traipsing round the village to moan and say, used the wonderful leap in technology that is a telephone, she could get a whole lot more done. I hope they sack her soon, I'm not sure how much of this club review I can take.

HarlotOTara Tue 06-Aug-13 16:23:21

A thread just about the Archers! I used to go on the BBC website until they closed the boards and still miss it, there has been nowhere else to go for a moan. Moaning being he only thing ondo in recent times. God knows why I listen a I am not sure I do.
I am fed up with Tom, Helen and their doting parents, I wish they would disappear for a while. I have never understood Kirsty and really hope she and Tom don't get it together again. He was a pig to her last time (unintended pun there shock). I agree about Clarrie definitely a change for the worse.

HarlotOTara Tue 06-Aug-13 16:24:34

Sorry for typos blame my iPad

Somethingyesterday Tue 06-Aug-13 16:39:00

Harlot This is a thousand times better than any other Archers forum. smile

Hello Harlot. I too am a refugee from the old BBC boards. I only found this thread a few minutes ago and it looks good.

I haven't listened for about three months now as I am so pissed off with all the crap story lines and the unbelievable character about turns.

suze

HarlotOTara Tue 06-Aug-13 17:06:23

cutting I used to love the names for the characters eg. Dopey Duo, Hellqueen, baby Cheesus - sadly I was never that witty.

Does everyone agree that The Archers has been in a slippery slope? I think it started with Nigel's death, and am still wondering how that has shaken Ambridge to the the core. The story lines and characterisation is plain stupid now and I don't remember it being so bad some years ago (have been listening for 20 years).

This thread is not accepting new messages.