A bidet - yes or no?

(162 Posts)
Quattrocento Fri 02-Jan-09 16:07:15

Redoing main bathroom and changing things around. Am wondering about a bidet. I would rather like to have one - dd thinks the idea is rather revolting and the boys are keeping well out of the debate (whistling and trying to pretend they did not hear the word bidet).

So then, a bidet, yes or no? Would it put you off the bathroom if you were a hypothetical purchaser?

NAB3lovelychildren Fri 02-Jan-09 16:08:25

There was one when we moved in and we took it out. When I stayed with friends for a few weeks my cat liked to sleep in theirs.

BlameItOnTheBogey Fri 02-Jan-09 16:09:09

I though they were hideous things. Until we ended up with one when we moved into our new place. Love it, love it, love it. They are naffer than naff but so amazing useful. And if you are planning on having more kids, mine was a god send after giving birth and ending up with loads of stitches....

Fimbo Fri 02-Jan-09 16:11:20

My fil insisted on one when he was refitting his bathroom - he suffers from piles and says it is a godsend.

Ds likes to wash his feet in it! grin.

I would see it as a bonus if there was one in a house I was buying.

Quattrocento Fri 02-Jan-09 16:12:33

Thanks both - I'm not planning any more children (although can see that it would be useful if we were). Hadn't planned for it to be a catbasket ...

brimfull Fri 02-Jan-09 16:13:06

I would love a bidet.

Quattrocento Fri 02-Jan-09 16:13:21

Thanks Fimble - I am getting encouraged by that thought

Tinker Fri 02-Jan-09 16:13:52

Wouldn't put me off in a house (unlike the one we viewed that had a urinal) As long as you have enough space for it and it's not squeezed in.

Fimbo Fri 02-Jan-09 16:15:43

If there is one on holiday we always give it a good clean out and chill the booze in it blush

Fimbo Fri 02-Jan-09 16:16:24

101 top tips for bidet use......grin

SnowballsintheSky Fri 02-Jan-09 16:17:42

My mother adores hers. I never got the hang of it when I lived at home though.

Whenever there's one on holiday I only ever use it for sandy feet! grin.

Think if I was buying a house with one in it, it may put me of due to the thought of people washing their shitty arses in it! grin

Quattrocento Fri 02-Jan-09 16:19:00

Makes notes:

1. Good for post-natal fannies
2. Good for cats to sleep in
3. Good for washing feet
4. Good for piles
5. Good for chilling bottles

BlameItOnTheBogey Fri 02-Jan-09 16:22:44

6. Good for putting ds in to hose him down after particularly bad poo...

lalalonglegs Fri 02-Jan-09 16:22:49

Don't forget good for soaking laundry grin

IotasCat Fri 02-Jan-09 16:24:12

I remember my ds2 bathing in one in a hotel room when he was small

Moondancer Fri 02-Jan-09 16:27:35

Noooooo! Ive got one and it gives me the creeps just looking at it. Twas in the house when we bought it. I keep a large plant (in a pot) in it.

wheresthehamster Fri 02-Jan-09 16:28:00

They are just the right height for children to spit their toothpaste into

NAB3lovelychildren Fri 02-Jan-09 16:34:14

grin at Q's notes.

muggglewump Fri 02-Jan-09 16:35:15

I always think they are just for folk with particularly stinky nether regions.

Good for post birth I guess but unless the Duggars are buying your house I wouldn't bother.

Pannacotta Fri 02-Jan-09 16:36:01

IMO think they are a bit yucky, cannot imagine chilling booze in one!

muggglewump Fri 02-Jan-09 16:39:59

I've actually never been sure how to use one.
Perhaps someone can fill me in?

Do you have a wee/poo and then sit in it, or spray the water at your nethers or what?
Is it if the loo roll idsn't sufficient?
Is it every time you use the loo, or to wash your fanjo/arse instead of showering?

mosschops30 Fri 02-Jan-09 16:41:55

I dont get them, think they are maybe a bit 80's and a bit like a hotel bathroom.

Ive used them on holiday to keep bottles chilled in when had no fridge in hotel rooms

hanapartridgeinapeartree Fri 02-Jan-09 16:44:21

I would rather have more floor space in the bathroom than a bidet.
mugglewump they are for washing out your fanjo.

BlameItOnTheBogey Fri 02-Jan-09 16:45:28

Not sure what the official rules are on when you are meant to use them but I use mine in the summer when it's really hot and although I have showered in the morning it's nice to freshen up later. Also they are perfect for post sex clean up before going out to dinner or whatever without having to jump in the shower. Also after poos....

[Bogey realises she needs to stop lurking on the bidet thread and find something else to do...}

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now