A bidet - yes or no?

(162 Posts)
Quattrocento Fri 02-Jan-09 16:07:15

Redoing main bathroom and changing things around. Am wondering about a bidet. I would rather like to have one - dd thinks the idea is rather revolting and the boys are keeping well out of the debate (whistling and trying to pretend they did not hear the word bidet).

So then, a bidet, yes or no? Would it put you off the bathroom if you were a hypothetical purchaser?

4dadnotmum Tue 08-Jul-14 15:25:29

We have a bidet and could not do without one. To the point that our holiday accommodation searches include a bidet along with a view, pool, toddler friendly and near a beach.
Much more hygienic than just using toilet paper.
We totally renovated our holiday cottage and included one, this has been a major plus for guests booking from European countries. We must be the only ones in the Falmouth area that have one! We tried to get a wall-hung model to match the toilet but in UK they are not so easy to find since they are not popular.
Get one with a mixer tap and directional nozzle and use liquid soap for convenience.
Still not sure if you want one? Book your next holiday where there is one so your whole family can try it out and see the difference.

MuchLessTiredNow Wed 07-Jan-09 19:13:00

my inlaws have one and until I read this thread, thought they were the only people in the world who used one 'properly' - have to say, when I caught ds2 washing his hands in it and drying them with the brown towel kept by the bidet [bleuurgh] - I moved him sharpish

pointydog Wed 07-Jan-09 19:10:11

lol @ grand opening - var funny

I have a bidet which I must confess is used to house a stack of magazines, for those who like loo-side reading material blush.

However, thanks to Franca's wonderful explanations, I am going to reclaim my bidet with pride! Off to wash it now ready for the grand opening (no pun intended)... grin

Well said snowleopard!

Oh dear Blu, sounds like you have a lot on your plate at the moment! I hope your ds is coping well with surgery etc and keeping cheerful.

snowleopard Wed 07-Jan-09 15:32:52

Have absolutely laughed myself to tears at this thread.

I used to think they were weird and pointless, but now having experienced pregnancy and birth I can totally see their usefulness. And would quite like one, if my bathroom wasn't the size of a piece of toast.

What's with all this "oh no just one look at it makes you think of shitty bums and claggy fanjos" etc? Well OK but in what way does that make it any different from a plain old toilet? What do you think goes on on them, eh? Considerably worse you must admit. At least bidets are just for cleaning your crack not collecting its emanations.

Blu Wed 07-Jan-09 15:19:57

aw - thank you Franca!
I am in KBO (keep buggering on) mode after christmas with child mid surgery, mum with broken arm, me with broken finger and endless petty domestic expenses and irritations! A good laugh works wonders, and I'm ok smile

Blu, I hope you are all right? smile

MrsSeanBean Mon 05-Jan-09 18:18:57

<<threadkiller bean strikes again>>

Ignore that post and carry on, please don't mind me. I can't help myself.

grin

MrsSeanBean Mon 05-Jan-09 17:22:21

This leads me to think there is room for a 'wiping' thread. Don't look at me btw.

Everytime DS sees bidet he exclaims - look and italian toilet and pees in it - only time he has seen one is on holiday - I think they are a bit passee now - whats wrong with wiping your asre properly I ask you?

pointydog Mon 05-Jan-09 16:41:15

it has been a funny thread, blu.

And that box of moist ones - I wouldn't be able to stop myself picturing him wiping and looking and wiping again and drying and looking.

Blu Mon 05-Jan-09 14:39:46

I think Moist Toilet Paper is a good compromise, for the mucky, stinky, sticky and sore.

Though I cringed when my American BIL lodger positioned a plastic box of it on my cistern.

Blu Mon 05-Jan-09 14:38:27

Pointydog, you have made me laugh and laugh on this thread.

Brilliant - you don't know how much I need it.smile

pointydog Mon 05-Jan-09 09:31:36

I am actually, quatt. There's dirt fixation at work here. I'm also slightly concerned about the likelihood of chafing caused by all that splashing of the creases.

Repelled? How can you be repelled by such a lovely peace of architecture? Bidets look like loveable house pets!!!!

Quattrocento Sun 04-Jan-09 22:09:52

Ooh had been caught up in RL all day and it's good to see how many people are repelled by or interested in bidets.

Pointy, I think you are secretly fascinated by the thought of all this unnecessary (?) washing of genitalia.

KerryMumbles Sun 04-Jan-09 17:55:37

no, someone below had a list and one item was change pants every day.

Rosa Sun 04-Jan-09 17:20:34

Kerry are you implying that people who use bidets do not change their pants daily ????

pointydog Sun 04-Jan-09 16:48:43

someone close to me tends not to. That's not good.

KerryMumbles Sun 04-Jan-09 13:21:12

do people not change their pants every day? shock

Rosa Sun 04-Jan-09 13:00:58

I miss the bidet when in the uk am a complete convert. Great after giving birth and when had infected stitches and had to rinse with some disenfectant stuff shock. Great for rinsing dd when she has accidents or irritated bum and want to use water only.Also superb for soaking /pre washing minirosas poo vests and babygros.

edam Sun 04-Jan-09 12:03:39

Well, you don't have to, I'm not in charge of any syllabus for adult learning or anything. smile BUT your very succinct post just reminded me of some of his characters. Have just finished his new 'children's' one, The Nation, which is jolly good. (It's just as good for adults, IMO he does Proper Literature just without showing off about it like Literary Novelists do.)

pointydog Sun 04-Jan-09 10:53:20

I've never read pratchett blush

edam Sun 04-Jan-09 10:48:57

Or Granny Weatherwax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now