Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Will strawberry blonde/'ginger' hair stay?- upset!

(51 Posts)
Bluberry Tue 12-Mar-13 02:43:15

My beautiful baby girl was born with red/'ginger' or strawberry blonde hair. In some lights it looks really fair and in others light brown but today it started looking quite red.
My husband and I are quite dark but I understand the red gene must be in our genes somewhere. My step daughter has bright red hair so it wasnt a complete shock but I didn't realise my family had the gene either so wasn't expecting it really. My step daughter was born with fiery red hair but my daughters is lighter.

I just feel so worried and upset that she may be open to bullies. People are already commenting on it and using the word 'ginger' which I think is hurtful.

Does anyone else have a red head and how does it make you feel?
Did anyone's baby's hair colour change from red to blonde or brown?

I don't want to cause offence.

CarpeDiemCras Wed 13-Mar-13 22:20:42

Sad to hear that about your DSD Bluberry. I hope as she gets older that improves & she comes to feel better about it.

I do know some people who were teased horribly about their hair, but your DSD's experiece sounds like it must've been particularly bad if she's still feeling that way at 16.

I suspect most red heads do put up with a bit of stick & maybe even a bit more than a non-red headed child, but it won't necessarily be a repeat of your DSD's experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now