Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2011: losing sleep and gaining shoes, toddlers share with us their news

(997 Posts)
ecuse Mon 01-Oct-12 17:34:02

I have taken the liberty of starting a new thread.

Pile in!

brew wine biscuit etc

Daisy17 Thu 06-Dec-12 10:09:31

Fizz re eczema, I had it really badly when I was little and get bouts of it mildly now in the winter etc. It can get maddeningly itchy IF you scratch it, so yes, as Gsy says, keep it moisturised and it should be fine. S gets little patches, we use Cetraben on him, works well, it's what DP and I use too. Bad skin genes here!

GlaikingAroundTheChristmasTree Fri 07-Dec-12 10:31:15

Doctors surgeries are not the place to keep a 19 month old occupied for 35 minutes. I have no control over him, he runs, he crawls under desks In offices where the owner was stupid enough to leave the door open, he broke into the disables toilet (not really broke in but ykwim), he visited the ladies in reception. Old ladies were giving me daggers, younger ones sympathetic looks with an undertone of "thank god he's not mine". Finally 30 minutes after our appointment time we were called and he sat still for the doctor to examine him! Wtaf?? She must have some sort of voodoo.

Anyway, his cough is nothing to worry about and I have a prescription for oilatum cream and bath for the eczema. Doc thinks it will clear up and the weather has caused it.

He is napping now, but I would expect that, he has been up since 3 <yawn>

Kittycatcat Fri 07-Dec-12 11:15:36

Ouch anothernamechange
Glad you got him sorted

ILikeToHoHoHo Fri 07-Dec-12 14:36:41

Since 3???? Yikes, you must all be knackered.

Glad you got it sorted. I think ds2 has got some skin thing going on behind his knees (red but not cracked, scaly or peeling). Guess I need to buy some emollient type stuff <clueless>

Off out tonight on a girls night so the nail varnish has been applied. I love the look of it when I do it, but I really can't be arsed with the up keep of it.

Tomorrow I'm taking ds2 to the cinema. I can't wait. Time with just us two is so rare these days.

GlaikingAroundTheChristmasTree Sat 08-Dec-12 10:03:34

He slept til 6 this morning <bliss>

I have no idea where the early wake ups are coming from, but when he does wake up he is full of beans! He can't be my child! Anytime between 3-6 is when he is waking. I've checked train times on the line near us and I don't think it's those he's hearing, we have a working farm out the back but again I don't think it's that. He just demands to be taken out the cot.

I'm thinking about converting it to the cot bed. Is he too young?? Anyone done it yet?

chillikat Sat 08-Dec-12 14:24:54

That sounds like a killer Glaking M will wake at 3 sometimes but we can (eventually) get her back to sleep. We tend to blame early wakings on being a bit chilly and she seems to settle ok snuggled up in between us. I won't tell you about last weekends lie-in - but we did pay for it during the week.

Secret Santa is now wrapped, packed and ready to go. We started the Christmas cards last night so I feel marginally more organised but still have a to-do list as long as my arm.

ILikeToHoHoHo Sat 08-Dec-12 18:54:10

There is an 18 month sleep regression and it wouldn't surprise me if ds3 has been going through this. The past few weeks his sleep has been erratic and his speech has started to pick up, so I think they're both linked.

Ds2 only had his cot bars taken off this summer grin and actually we almost had to wrestle them from him! I wouldnt take the bars off of a childs cot at this age because of the risk of them getting out of their bed and arsing around - but then again I am loath to do anything that may mean less sleep for me <selfish>

Gawd I'm knackered tonight. SCD, takeaway, wine and an early night for me smile

GlakitFizzogTheChristmasElf Sat 08-Dec-12 22:29:41

Ok, so regression it is! How long should it last? Please not long!

How old is ds2 iLike, I should know, but my memory is terrible!

GlakitFizzogTheChristmasElf Sun 09-Dec-12 09:06:46

7.30! He slept til 7.30!!!! <does little dance>

Dh still in bed as its his turn for a lie in! So me and b are cuddled up on the sofa watching handy manny! What is the deal with him and Kelly? And mr lophart, does he hold a torch for manny too? I am obviously over thinking this!

ILikeToHoHoHo Sun 09-Dec-12 09:55:43

Ds2 turned four in Sept! So on the older side of having his bars taken off, infact only the other week he asked to have them put back on! He is a creature of habit an routine though.

Sleep regression can be a matter of days or a couple of weeks - everyone is different <sits on the fence!>

Lol @ Mr Lophart grin

Ds2 is going to a party at a soft play place this morning. I can't wait. He will be running around madly with his mates while I sit about sipping tea and chatting to the other parents <bliss>

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Sun 09-Dec-12 13:38:10

I have just been to hell and back! Or the shopping centre as it is more commonly known! Posted the parcels I had to post them picked up some wee bits I can't get online! I am so grateful for amazon/eBay etc! I would be demented otherwise!

So I think <fingers crossed> I'm finished my shopping, bar food and booze! Yay!

I Definately agree with leaving the cot bars on as long as possible. DS moved straight from his cot with the bars still on into a big bed at around 3.5 with no problems and even then it was only because we needed the cot for DD.

Mr Lophart reminds me of up the teacher in South Park, they are both very needy. Manny and Kelly? Defintely. and I quote from an episode DS was watching the other day.
MANNY: "Oh Kelly, you always have exactly what I need"
KELLY: "Anytime Manny"
<<channelling Eric Idle, Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink, Say no more, Say no more>>

Of course Andy & Kelly are nothing compared to the Bob the Builder love triangle of Bob, Wendy & Marjorie.

Right back to Christmas, better finish the tree and then iron the school uniform for tomorrow morning.

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Sun 09-Dec-12 21:29:31

The exasperation of turner when he is convinced Kelly won't have what they are looking for, and then she accidentally knocks something off a shelf and surprise surprise what's behind it. A unicorn horn, exactly the right size and colour they were looking for! hmm grin

I'm not that into bob the builder! B knows to press 611 on the remote! That's bad isn't it! He also knows where his game is on the iPad! Kids and technology, amazing!

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Mon 10-Dec-12 10:37:45

B was up 11-3 then up again at 6. I'm knackered, he's knackered. I've just put him down and he is screaming he is so tired. I could cry. He's had calpol incase it teeth, he's eaten loads this morning, 2 weetabix, banana, handful of raisins, drink of milk and half a slice of my toast. So he isn't hungry.

I don't know what else to do. Dh is at work. I'm lost.

Starshaped Mon 10-Dec-12 10:50:55

Oh Fizz, that sounds horrific. Poor you and poor B. I think it might be a case of bringing back out the 'this too will pass' mantra. It does sound like it might be a sleep regression. Fingers crossed it sorts itself up soon.

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Mon 10-Dec-12 10:56:00

He is sleeping now thank god, I'm off to bed too.

ILikeToHoHoHo Mon 10-Dec-12 11:44:35

Sleep regression and a growth spurt = hard work.

This too shall pass, this too shall pass ........

There's not much else you can do Fizz. it's hard dealing with it when you're knackered though. Going to bed for a nap should hopefully re-energise you smile

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Mon 10-Dec-12 12:13:30

I can't sleep! Postie knocked, then the phone rang, it was one of those PPI shysters. So now I'm downstairs again having a sandwich. All is quiet on the B front!

fraktion Mon 10-Dec-12 12:34:45

Fizz I might join you on the knackered couch. M has another chesty cd so I get no evening and no sleep. I'm so behind with Christmas as a result! Any kind of cold call is annoying but I hope you told them where to get off for disturbing naptime.

Re: cot bed we went over in October but he went from our bed to his own bed so not used to bars anyway.

I really need to dye my hair again. I'm looking distinctly ginger hmm My last colour was a purply brown but obviously the red pigment stick to my natural blondeness...

Cinema sounds lovely ILTMI. What are you going to see?

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Mon 10-Dec-12 13:06:25

<passes brew to Frak>

I can do hair colour! I've been every colour under the sun!

copper blonde? under the peaches and cream headline?

Or would you prefer darker?

fraktion Mon 10-Dec-12 14:16:11

I'm currently what they describe as copper blonde. I prefer to be at least caramel brown if not more chocolatey...

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Mon 10-Dec-12 14:23:30
GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Mon 10-Dec-12 14:26:55
fraktion Mon 10-Dec-12 16:54:48

Possibly slightly darker. I've discovered I can 'do' dark after 25 years if blonde so I' experimenting a bit. I was this

Kittycatcat Mon 10-Dec-12 17:29:01

Eek fizz. Hope it improves soon.

Oh lovely frak. I'm currently returning to blonde to hide the grey. I'm naturally brunette. I too like a colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now