Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2011: The one where DSM gets married...

(999 Posts)
LittleMissFlustered Thu 02-Aug-12 22:59:00

<dons posh frock and adjusts fascinator>

grin

Aethelfleda Wed 19-Sep-12 23:10:44

Ninja style ((((hug)))) for seven too. Don't feel guilty, it is Not Your Fault.

<hides under bed to avoid estate agents>

GeeandTee Thu 20-Sep-12 07:35:28

(((Hugs))) seven and northern. How is the ear mopsy?

Also curious to know what carrier Cherry bought!

xiao that book sounds like a good step in the right direction sometimes I wish my DH was a perfectionist

I now have the pirate ship nursery rhyme in my head...we're going this way, that way, forwards and backwards over the Irish sea, a bottle of rum to fill my tum and that's the life for me...

BJR Thu 20-Sep-12 08:10:42

(((Hugs))) Seven and Northern

Seven that sounds awful, and horrid that its putting so much pressure on you at the moment. I really hope that the company are just being arses and putting the pressure on as they really want the sale to go through. Proabably not much help but will ask DP about it when he wakes up, he works as a senior busybod in the housebuilding industry so might be able to give an idea if its just pushing tactics or not.

Northern that's really rubbish for you guys. Does your DP plan to take it any further and challange it?

DS is snotty and toothy this week, last two nights he would only sleep on me so am in zombie mode. DP is going to take him out later so I can go back to bed. Well after I finish writing a report for work on my day off, I need to get better at the 'part time' work thing!

In good news 48 hours on new magic milk and most of DS's eczema has started to clear. We've been prescribed numerous creams none of which work in the last couple of months so such a relief that its healing.

CherryBlossom27 Thu 20-Sep-12 08:12:04

Hi Xiao and Gee it's a Birds of Norway pattern Connecta...wish it was here now so I can play smile Not sure what I'll tell DH but I'm sure I can talk him round!

Northern that's bad news for you and your DH, what are your plans now, is it better for him to find a job elsewhere?

Seven that's scary, but it's not your fault. They really should have sat down and had a proper talk about with you and your DH at the time and make a plan of action, not just land it on you at the 11th hour!

Hope everyone has a nice day.

hawthers Thu 20-Sep-12 09:27:30

seven that is ridiculous! And my guess us they are

hawthers Thu 20-Sep-12 09:37:17

Oops posted too soon

Bluffing to try to push the sale through to meet a target. what commercial benefit would they have if they started to remarket the property? They'd have to expend more time and energy and money getting new people in line and in this market there is no guarantee they'll find another buyer in the time it will take for your sale to go through.

Although if you want to speed things up with your sale, I find daily phone calls to solicitors works smile. He who shouts loudest and most annoyingly gets dealt with first.

hawthers Thu 20-Sep-12 09:40:03

And was it you seven who set a time limit on your ds' eating as it was taking so long? It's taking over an hour for DS1 (aged 3) to eat tea with lots of nagging and I'm losing the will to live. How long did you set? What happened when the time was up?

seven77 Thu 20-Sep-12 10:05:46

Thanks all, I know it's not our fault but my dad has the sort of temper I like to keep on the right side of especially as mine is just as bad.

Sorry hawthers, it wasn't me. DS is a fussy eater though, but since we got tough and decided if he doesn't eat there's nothing nice that day his eating has really improved, he doesn't faff about at the table he just gets on with it.

hawthers Thu 20-Sep-12 10:52:22

Hmm maybe that is what I'm thinking of. Hope the house thing gets resolved soon.

OiMissus Thu 20-Sep-12 10:57:06

seven as others have said, tis not your fault. Don't keep your pressure to yourself, that's what you pay solicitors for. Have a rant at them, and have a rant at your parents solicitor too if you like, and get them to work on your behalf, as much as you can, to get a satisfactory conclusion.
Your parents should be doing all the work with their solicitor and the builders. They took the risk in signing for the house. There are no guarantees in house-selling. People change their minds, and chains break very easily. You can not be held responsible. All you can do, is try your best to facilitate the sale. Which is what you have done.
northern sorry to hear about the DH's job request being turned down. that's so shitty. With the economy on its arse you'd think they'd be gratefully accepting offers to reduce their fixed costs.
I'm working from home today. DH has gone to work. smile BOi is at the GPs. I've got the heating on. I'm waiting for a tree surgeon to come and give me a quote. One came last night, I liked him, he sounded cheap.... Ha! we'll see.
I wonder if I can eat my own weight in biscuits today...

LittleMissFlustered Thu 20-Sep-12 12:12:58

Start with the choccy hobnobs...

I'm away to the docs for my MOT. Huzzah:/

What are you all buying our Stb 1year olds for Xmas? As I'm stuck on what to buy Sky! X

mopsytop Thu 20-Sep-12 14:29:31

Hi all, antibiotics are being taken and in the meantime ibuprofen and the codeine left over from postnatal are keeping the pain at bay, although the flight earlier was very painful in spite of eardrum already being perforated.

seven really sorry it's so stressful. It's not your fault though but that won't really help the stress right now sad

Northern, that's a bugger sad why are companies so infexible and unhelpful? It makes so little sense.

Oi step away from the online shops... smile

DSM, I'm only getting minimopsy sth v small. She's too small to notice or care about christmas so I'm not going to be extravagant. Think I'll get her those little push around carts of wooden
blocks from mothercare, you know the ones I mean?

Good idea re CBT book xiao. I've been there myself on the pushing myself/perfection front but have managed to become more moderate as the years have past, and having a baby has in fact seemed to make me a lot more relaxed and happy with 'good enough' (perhaps not ideal timing when I need to finish my PhD!) but it's a hard change to make I think so it's great you're using a book approach!

Hello everyone else!

mopsytop Thu 20-Sep-12 14:30:48

passed, not past. Ha perfect example of my more sloppy habits now smile

Xiaoxiong Thu 20-Sep-12 15:01:08

I think with the last 10 posts on this thread we should all chime in with christmas present ideas for DSM smile

I think we're going to get DS a kinderharp. I know it's meant for an older child but he is always desperate to play with DH's uke. It would be fun to give him something he can twang and pluck without us hovering over him in case he breaks it.

mopsy I really hope you feel better soon. I'm glad we're not the only ones with perfectionist tendencies, and although mine have moderated since DS, they're still there... In fact earlier the senior partner of my dept put his head round the door and asked me to come see him - cue pounding heart and worry about what I could have done wrong, I've been so sleep deprived that I could easily have made a mistake, just this morning I was 30 mins late to a client meeting and I am NEVER late to anything, etc. In fact he just wanted to ask me how I was doing and whether I was looking forward to going part time!

northern so sorry about your DH's application. Did they give any reasons or suggest any alternatives? Or just a flat refusal?

Oi last night was so cold I nearly caved in and put the heating on. Then I put on a jumper and some slippers and put another blanket on DS. I think I am turning into my dad...

LMF hope all goes well at the docs!

Xiaoxiong Thu 20-Sep-12 15:33:23

More xmas present ideas - this website where I found the kinderharp is just amazing:

flappy duck

mopsy, a cart like this?

rainbow millipede

Those of you with older children, they have a "small gifts" section where most things are under £10, mostly for 3+ though. In a few years!!

OiMissus Thu 20-Sep-12 16:07:11

BOi will mainly be getting to play with lots of lovely shiny wrapping paper, and he will be the happiest BOi on Earth.
I am keen for him to play instruments also, so I'll check out the Kinderharp. I saw Plu's LO tootling on a recorder on FB so that may be another stocking filler.
In the main, he will get presents from all the family, so I'll just be wrapping up the stuff we need to buy him and presenting them from Santa (vests, socks, etc - the usual weekly/monthly growing out of stuff bits).

OiMissus Thu 20-Sep-12 16:22:37

Ahem... just seen kinderharpery - t'aint no stocking filler. blush Very lovely. ...As BOi prefers hitting things, I'll give him a wooden spoon and an old pan.
<<walks out sideways, hoping no one notices...>>

Xiaoxiong Thu 20-Sep-12 16:45:18

Oi we might make one for him instead of buying it since that's the kind of thing I like to make anyway and I've made friends with the D&T teacher recently.

They also have lovely pentatonic glockenspiels which are under £30, and a circular xylophone for £12.95 (hand crafted in Sweden by adults with special needs)...

anairofhope Thu 20-Sep-12 16:58:40

Oi my children love hitting pans with wooden spoons and Hope loves exploring kitchen utensils like the pastry brush and whisk smile

I was thinking a ride on for Hope for birthday or xmas.

Hope will be 10 moths old next week shock

It will be lo first Hallowen and bonfire night then birthdays and xmas sooooo exsited smile

Kitty5824 Thu 20-Sep-12 16:59:23

I just looked at the circular xylophone - Seb would love love love that. He currently loves his various bottles filled with bits (one with rice, on with buttons, one with paperclips etc etc) and has really figured out how to give them a good shake this week.

I am actually thinking of getting him not very much for b'day this year. And nothing at all for Xmas. DH will not allow this, so I'm hoping for a comprimise. I've seen some gorgeous Xmas stuff in boots already - so am thinking maybe this for b'day (to wear Xmas morning) and I'll let DH pick a Christmas ornament of some kind.

We're going to make a b'day tree with little trinkets of things to signify what he has done so far this year. And then add to it each year. In the hope that he's not totally overshadowed by Xmas.

I'm actually more worried about his 1st b'day party. Is it massively rude to invite people for nibbles and cake and specify 4-6 rather than letting them pop in all day? <grumpys and don't want people in my house ALL day two days before Chrismas>

OiMissus Thu 20-Sep-12 17:17:34

Inviting people to a party is never rude! sounds like a great idea.

Xiaoxiong Thu 20-Sep-12 17:34:08

And first thanksgiving here air smile - can't wait to give DS his first taste of turkey, cranberry, stuffing and cornbread!

Aethelfleda Thu 20-Sep-12 18:54:28

Oops- we ran out of thread!

Here's a new one.... hope that's ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now