Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Fab Feb 2009 - come rain, wind or shine, we're here for each other with copious amounts of wine

(479 Posts)

New thread for us to quaff and chat away on... though as the sun is out today suspect I'll be pootling around here on my todd for a bit

<starts arranging the deckchairs in best position to catch the sun>

dinkystinky Wed 21-Nov-12 10:25:31

Morning all. We've been infested with nits in the dinky household - all v scritch scratch. Kids and DH have been Lycleared up and combed out - but I cant use Lyclear. Any top tips on other ways of denitting - other than an entire bottle of conditioner and a nit comb every day (which is proving rather dull!)?

swampster Wed 21-Nov-12 13:53:02

Hedrin basically doesn't poison them, it shrink-wraps them and strangles them. If you look at the ingredients, it is the same as in hair serum to make your hair shiny and smooth so safe, safe safe. Grand stuff. Coupled with a Nitty Gritty comb - and it HAS to be Nitty Gritty! - the little buggers don't stand a chance.

dinkystinky Wed 21-Nov-12 14:39:14

Ta Swampy - will check Hedrin out. Our nitty gritty has gone walk about - I think the nits have hidden it! grin

swampster Wed 21-Nov-12 14:59:29

Order a new one immediately!!!

dinkystinky Wed 21-Nov-12 15:34:28

Its on its way grin

dinkystinky Wed 28-Nov-12 11:43:29

Where is everyone?

Its DS1's school play this afternoon - he's a witch in Macbeth confused Even more confusingly there appear to be nine witches (of both sexes) in the play - am intrigued to see what its like...

swampster Thu 29-Nov-12 00:01:07

I am here, waiting to hear news of your wee six-legged visitors.

Like the nine witches!

dinkystinky Thu 29-Nov-12 09:26:08

The wee six legged visitors have been hedrin-ed to death (though getting the hedrin oil out my hair is proving to be a herculean task!) am pleased to report Swampy - also we now have nitty gritties in every bathroom in the house!

swampster Thu 29-Nov-12 13:07:07

I bet you look really sleek!

dinkystinky Thu 29-Nov-12 14:09:52

More like Slick Swampy grin

swampster Thu 29-Nov-12 16:41:59

That's what I said, Dinky! (With a greasy accent).

dinkystinky Thu 29-Nov-12 17:47:41

grin

Off out to a Scandinavian xmas cookery course tonight (BDay pressie from DH) - DH has kindly volunteered to drink/eat the things we're making (most of them!) I cant eat. Hmm

dinkystinky Fri 30-Nov-12 09:28:29

I am now an expert in curing fish and meat courtesy of my scandi cooking course - and in eating making rice pudding with hot cherry sauce

swampster Fri 30-Nov-12 19:57:29

Stop gloating and bung a cured fish in the post to us.

dinkystinky Sun 02-Dec-12 10:11:33

On its way swampy,!

dinkystinky Tue 04-Dec-12 14:12:38

Hello all - am taking Danny and DS1 off to go see Santa at Harrods tonight. V late slot - 7.30 - so am praying Danny wont be too overtired to charm Santa!
Danny's decided he wants a cat (toy one will apparently do), an oven, a chocolate maker, a lollipop maker and a banana maker for xmas this year. Anyone else's kids come up with something crazy?

SilveryMoon Sat 08-Dec-12 01:54:51

How did the Santa trip go dinky? I'd love to take my boys but they are a bit afraid of Santa.
Luke wants a dog for Christmas. My friend's 4 year old told him he wanted a Lamborghini!
Just got a few more bits to get present wise and get the tree up.

dinkystinky Sun 09-Dec-12 18:38:30

It was really lovely thank SM. We met the boys with their nanny at Knightsbridge tube after work and loved their faces when they saw Harrods all lit up! We went to the toy kingdom first and the Disney cafe for hot chocolate before going to see Santa - and they loved it and were really good with Santa. Danny was abit fearful of him for the first two years but in the past couple of years has got over the fear. It was great as we were at the end of the day so wasnt too busy and more of less sailed through.

Love that Luke is asking for a dog. Can he too be fobbed off with a fake one?

We got our tree up yesterday (in between school xmas fair and 2 lots of kids parties and swimming class) so feeling very festive now.

dinkystinky Mon 10-Dec-12 20:22:02

Had a fun afternoon in A&E today as Danny managed to split his head open on a radiator. They glued it shut and he was a trooper but still v scary.

Calico1 Thu 13-Dec-12 21:24:48

Ouch poor Danny! How's his head now?

Have been working crazy hours the last few weeks so no time for anything except sleep. All finished now so have to get into gear for Christmas as next to nothing has yet been bought yet alone wrapped.....(panic)

Lilian tried to explain to me what she wanted from Santa.... 'a long thing with a cat head and nice things inside'. After some time I worked out that it is a Hello Kitty pez sweet dispenser! Bless her - that's all she wants.

DS has his school play on Monday night - he is a Polish waiter hmm. Funny, I can't remember that role in the Nativity.

dinkystinky Thu 13-Dec-12 21:54:26

Ah bless Lilian - that's so cute! Danny too is a massive hello kitty fan. He's getting a hello kitty play oven from my mum and dad for Christmas and already has a hello kitty phone (from the hello kitty magazine of course) and pez dispenser. ROFL at the polish waiter at the nativity. Am sure DS will do great though!

Danny seems to be ok thanks - his usual cantankerous supremely independent little self. Made the mistake of trying to make gingerbread men (well, actually ninja bread men as they are all striking karate poses - deliberately honest) with him when I got home and of course as he wasnt listening to me he got flour EVERYWHERE and had to be stripped and cleaned afterwards - and then nearly burnt himself trying to get in the oven to check on them. DS1 wasnt listening either. Makes me wonder what the hell I'm doing going for a third! Still too late now... Had scan today and am 11 weeks today.

swampster Fri 14-Dec-12 10:13:01

Three is brilliant, dinky. Especially three boys - or am I biased?

The fruit trees I ordered back in the beginning of September are due to be delivered today. If they are a bunch of scraggly twigs I shall come back here and cry.

DS2 is off sick. Fingers crossed the throwing up this morning was a one-off. DH was there to catch it. I've kept DS3 home too as I can't handle the nursery run with an unwell child plus he's good company for DS2. I have work to do today.

dinkystinky Fri 14-Dec-12 10:44:06

Thanks Swampy - reassuring to hear someone out there is surviving the onslaught of 3 DSs!

Fruit trees in your garden? Am v envy. What did you order? Hope DS2's vom is a one off and he and DS3 have lots of fun playing today.

swampster Fri 14-Dec-12 11:20:18

If you can call it surviving...

Cherry tree with potential to become huuuuuuge, Victoria plum, and greengage. Plus some raspberry canes, redcurrants, blackcurrants and, I think, a gooseberry. I figure there's no point in growing anything if you can't eat it.

dinkystinky Fri 14-Dec-12 11:44:28

Am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous - have always wanted my very own blackberry brambles¬ Your garden is going to be ace Swampy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now