Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fab Feb 2009 - come rain, wind or shine, we're here for each other with copious amounts of wine

(479 Posts)

New thread for us to quaff and chat away on... though as the sun is out today suspect I'll be pootling around here on my todd for a bit

<starts arranging the deckchairs in best position to catch the sun>

Calico1 Wed 27-Mar-13 22:52:28

I think I saw the sun briefly this morning.....it was a momentary glimpse but yes, it definitely was a yellow orb in the sky. I hate winter, always have blue hands and feet so can't wait until I don't have to wear double gloves.....it's gotta get warmer soon, right?

We all had gastro enteritis last week - a truly awful week. Little Lilian was better for one day and then came down with 'slapped cheek' which I had never heard of. Poor love has been proper poorly. Hopefully on the mend now as she hasn't eaten for a week and weighs no more then a feather. Will endeavour to fill her full of chocolate this weekend.

Hope you all have a lovely Easter / survive the Easter hols! x

dinkystinky Thu 28-Mar-13 20:57:22

Oh no poor you and poor L Calico - really hope you all recover soon. Am sure the chocolate will help feed her up.

SR - hope life starts looking up soon. Sending you hugs x

SilveryMoon Sat 06-Apr-13 19:12:42

Just checking in. Hope everyone's ok.
Calico sorry to hear you've all been unwell and hope Lilian is over the slapped cheek now.
dinky Hope you had a nice break
<waves> to any lurkers grin x

MOSagain Sun 14-Apr-13 09:29:04

hello all, just a quick catch up.
calico hope L is much better now.

dinky how are you feeling now? Is it July you are due?

SM keeping safe on roads? Wasn't you going around roundabout the wrong way was it? wink

All same old rubbish here. Just back from worst holiday ever in Portugal. We rented a villa but the owners failed to mention there was no heating and it was freezing, really really freezing. Just one little plug in heater that we had to keep moving around the house. DD1 and I both got ill and my cold/sore throat has developed into flu despite having had the flu jab. Thoroughly miserable time had by all which is such a shame, we needed a good break.

I'd taking my walking boots and planned on a lot of training for forthcoming Machu picchu trek but only managed 3 decent walks before I got the lurgey. A little worried as only 4 1/2 weeks til I go but ho hum. Looking forward to DC back to school and nursery next week and can hopefully get out a few days and do some long walks.

Hopefully find out Friday that H has got into same school as his big sister. He should be ok, sibling rule and we are only 0.2 miles away (and I'm chair of PTA!) wink

Thinking of our lovely MrsY who has been in my thoughts a lot this past week, one year on sad (((hugs)))
Hope everyone is doing ok.

SilveryMoon Sun 14-Apr-13 22:09:29

Hello MOS no, no, wasn't me on the roundabout grin keeping mostly safe, but still making some mistakes blush
Sorry to hear about your crap holiday. Hope you both recover soon. Can't belive the trek is so soon!
We find out about school place on wednesday (I think). Tbh, if Luke doesn't get a place, will give me the kick up the arse I need to transfer Jacob somewhere else.
Hate that f*ucking school.

{{hugs}} also to MrsY

dinkystinky Mon 15-Apr-13 12:19:05

Hello all. MOS - so sorry you had such a rubbish holiday in Portugal - you'd have thought the owners would have mentioned a small thing like no heating in the description! We've just had a holiday in Lanzarote and it was really cold for the first few days but then got warm and sunny (but still windy) - I guess everywhere has been unseasonally cold this spring! Hope you recover from your flu soon and that your trip to MP goes well.

Also thinking of MrsY and sending her and all the family love.

Good luck to all for school place results in the coming weeks - I think we find out end of this month. I'm supposed to find out more quickly as filed online but cant remember when it is we find out. Still J is at the school and its in the process of converting to an academy so should be ok - cant imagine too many people will be falling over themselves to get places...

MoS - yes, am due in July (well end of June, start of July). Am size of a house already. A woman in the due in July group on MN gave birth to her DS last week - at just shy of 26 weeks I think - at home alone with her DH. He was a footling breech and her DH had to do mouth to mouth and chest massage till the ambulance arrived - truly terrifying. Am keeping everything crossed for them.

MOSagain Mon 15-Apr-13 14:02:55

oh my gosh, how scary for your friend and her husband, hope the little lad does ok.

Still feeling really fluey but hope it clears up soon as need to do serious MP training. Am getting rather worried about it now.

dinkystinky Tue 16-Apr-13 10:02:32

Yes, the words absolutely terrifying spring to mind MOS! The little boy doesnt sound in too good a shape right now so am keeping everything crossed for them.

Hope the flu clears up soon for you so you can get your training back on track. V impressed at your dedication to the cause!

SilveryMoon Tue 30-Apr-13 19:57:01

dinky OMG about about the woman from your July thread. sad

We got a letter from the nursery at the end of last week saying that they are starting to open up the nursery class to the reception class to get the children ready for next year.
Luke seems to be enjoying it, and he is for sure feeling like a big boy! He keeps asking when he can go to school all day.
Hope everyone is ok.
Looking forward to a summer meet up this year.........anyone reckon we could get something scheduled in? Would be lovely to see you all and the dc's again.

dinkystinky Thu 02-May-13 10:03:27

I know SilveryMoon - he's proving to be a real little fighter though so am keeping everything crossed all ends happily for them all. Its great that Luke is enjoying nursery and getting ready for reception - Danny still veers between liking nursery and hating it. We've got a school dilemma again - have to decide between DS1's current school (which is in special measures, just lost its "Supportive" sponsor to be that its been working with for 9 months and in a total state of flux but just round the corner from us) and a private school 30 minutes or so drive away which has suddenly (and rather unexpectedly) offered them both places. Aargh. Need to decide by Monday.

Am feeling fine thanks - just rather large! 6 weeks left at work till maternity leave. I swear this pregnancy has just flown by.

A meet up over the summer sounds lovely - perhaps we should suggest on the FB page too (as some people seem to use FB more nowadays)? I'd be up for it.

MOSagain Fri 03-May-13 13:32:22

hello, where is everyone?
dinky glad the little boy is still fighting, must be so awful for the parents.
Glad Luke ready for reception, Harrison can't wait.

A summer meet up would be great but things up in the air at the moment as I might be starting a new job in June. Wasn't really going to look until H settled in school but saw something that looked interesting so applied and will find out in the next few days if its a yes.

Had a written test 2 weeks ago, interview last week and a 2 day trial wednesday and thursday. The woman I was working with said she wanted to offer me the job but I'd put forward a proposal about being part time (whilst H in nursery 3 days a week) between June and end July when the person I'd be replacing leaves and then full time (although I'd really prefer to do part time, maybe 4 days a week or 9 - 3pm or similar).

well, will have to wait and see. Jobs in law very few and far between so (DH tells me) I'd be stupid to turn it down. Mixed feelings, I really liked the firm and people but not really what I want (wills instead of family) and I'm not sure I'm ready to be full time and part of me resents DH for bulling me into it.

So, thats me, I'll keep an eye out for news of summer meet up

dinkystinky Fri 03-May-13 16:52:47

Probably all out enjoying the sunshine MoS.

Wow re new job - you're right that jobs in law can be hard to land so well done on getting so far in the application process and fingers crossed the part time option works out.

MOSagain Fri 03-May-13 17:09:58

sad less of the 'wow'. they've just phoned and offered it but less than I thought was mentioned at interview and it will be approx half of what I was earning 7 years ago. I actually feel quite gutted that they think thats all I'm worth sad
I also feel a bit angry as I went to their offices for written exam one week (although only took 45 mins plus travel) a 1 hour interview the next and gave up two of my days to do some training/try it out, days that I could really have used doing other stuff.

dinkystinky Fri 03-May-13 17:37:37

Oh no MoS - that's rubbish. If its less money than you thought and the hours don't suit then definitely don't take it - but do take the ego boost of you being the best candidate after so long away from practicing. Something better will be out there.

MOSagain Fri 03-May-13 17:50:22

dinky flowers

dinkystinky Wed 08-May-13 09:32:39

Hello all - v quiet on here isnt it. Hopefully now the sun has disappeared again you'll check in!

MoS - good luck with your final bit of training for the Inca trail. When is it you're off?

Calico1 Tue 14-May-13 14:47:34

Gosh it has been quiet - thought I would have missed loads of chat.

Unusually Lilian is having a little nap on the sofa - so I have some rare Mumsnet time before I pick up DS from school grin

MOS did you take the job? If they can be flexible on hours that in itself is worth a lot...
I need to find some sort of more permanent job once Lilian is at school - though the school holidays would be hard to manage. I've been freelancing for 5 years doing ad-hoc projects but I really want to get back into 'proper' work now - before I am too old to be employable!

Dinky you must be getting really excited about the little dinky3 now!

dinkystinky Wed 22-May-13 06:24:13

Hi Calico - nice to see you!

Mos is currently off in Macchu Picchu for charity - I hope all is going well and she's having a great, if tiring, time.

Yup getting v excited about baby's imminent arrival - Danny is the most excited of all! Apparently he's been spending a lot of time at preschool playing in the baby doll corner and tells me he will help with the baby - but only if its a girl. Not much to report in the Dinky household - out of the blue at the start of May we got offers for Danny (and then ds1 for year 3) for a small private school we put their names down for a year ago which caused much angst - we've decided to go for it - mostly for the good pastoral care. I am worried we will struggle financially with 2 lots of school fees and a nanny for baby (which we will need anyway as nanny will have to drive the kids to school and back!) but am sure we'll make it work somehow.

SilveryMoon Thu 23-May-13 20:00:17

Dropping by to say hi grin
Hope everyone's well. mos thinking of you on the charity trail, hope it;s going ok and you are well.
dinky Danny sounds like such an adorable boy, glad everyone is well and they're looking forward to baby 3 coming along.
All ok here, nothing much to report.

Hello! So glad to see this group is still active! Haven't been on Mumsnet for aaaaages but often think of you all. I'm afraid I've become a FB addict blush. Things much the same here in Chessington. Had a rough ride with DD recently - she's suddenly become very autistic, but I feel things may be settling down again. Also been having a few illness/behavioural issues with Sam and I've suspected ENT problems - hearing test yesterday suggests glue ear and tonsil problems so that's something to look forward to!!

Am going to try to read back over a few pages of the thread to find out the gossip grin.

dinkystinky Fri 24-May-13 12:20:14

Hi STW - lovely to see you on! Sounds like things have been tough recently with Dd but glad you feel things are getting better, and hopefully easier. The good thing about glue ear and tonsils is once diagnosed its pretty easy to fix so hopefully things will get easier with Sam too. Can you believe our babies start school in September?

SilveryMoon Fri 24-May-13 17:32:39

SWT hi grin
Sorry to hear about Sam, but sure it can be sorted easily. Jacob had tonsils removed (and adenoids) just after he turned 3.
Hope O is ok and continues to settle down.

Luke's been listening to me, he keeps saying "7 weeks to go, 7 weeks to go then we have a long holiday" grin

Did I mention that I have been looking into doing a degree with the OU? I know SR was/is doing hers through them too.
I'm going to do Childhood and Youth Studies. Have spoken to the OU, have spoken to my headteacher (who was supportive of the idea) and spoken to dp who is indifferent.
Really excited but nervous about it too, hoping it's not really above my capabilities and worried about time etc.
I just have to enrol now, but need to finish the course I'm doing through a different college first.

Glad it's halfterm. Need a break from it all.
Dinky when is baby due? It's soon isn't it?
Seen some pictures of mos on fb, looking good on the trail.

Hope everyone else is ok, and <waves> to any lurkers x

dinkystinky Sat 25-May-13 06:52:37

Silvery moon - the course sounds like a brilliant idea - am sure you'll do well as you are interested and motivated. Enjoy half term.

Baby due 4 July - with Danny I had a strong feeling he'd be early, not really getting that with this one who seems to fall between ds1 (v late) and Danny on the in utero activity stakes. Scarily already one baby and another being induced next week on the due in July thread I'm on. Will be crossing my legs and refusing to birth this baby till summer actually arrives!

SilveryMoon Sat 25-May-13 08:11:56

Goodness me dinky well, hoping baby doesn't stay over too long! And yes, that we get a little bit of summer soon.

MOSagain Sun 26-May-13 18:32:14

hello all, just briefly checking in to let you know I returned from Machu Picchu via 3 planes, not in a body bag as I feared at one point. The trek was fabulous, I met some amazing people some of whom I hope will be lifelong friends. As I paid for all my own costs (flight, taxes, insurance and hotels prior to trek) myself, I've raised just under £2,000 which will be split between NDCS and SANDS in memory of our lovely MrsY's Benedict. I'm hoping the total might go up a little in the next few days as last minute money is coming in.

Right, bath time. Hope everyone is doing ok? xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now