Just curious - how many muslims are on mumsnet?

(998 Posts)
Galvanise Sat 01-Dec-12 00:21:53

Hello/Salaam,

I know mumsnet has a wide and diverse population and I tend to recognise some MN usernames as regulars. Just intrigued to know how big/small a community it may be.

Of course, I respect that there may be those who do not wish to even identify themselves for various reasons - which is fine too.

I am not asking for 'religiousness' levels or any vital stats! Nor is this a muslim-only thread or an 'no non-muslims' thread.
If you really wish to tell me that you are not a muslim, that is fine too smile

<Waves enthusiastically to all muslims and non-muslims> smile

HardlyEverHoovers Sun 10-Mar-13 23:20:17

I should publically declare that I not pregnant, but shamefully still wearing maternity and feeding clothes 2 years on from my last pregnancy (comfortable and practical).
Lost I had a special breastfeeing cover, you can get them on ebay. Although at first glance they appear no better than a scarf, they're actually really good as the fabric is just stiff enough that it creates a little tent arount the baby that you can peep into and see what's going on, and no-one can see anything. I breastfed anywhere and everywhere and never had a problem.
santuary it's really nice that you still think about the stuff we all talked about.

nailak Mon 11-Mar-13 14:19:11

after wearing maternity bras for so long, underwires and that just feel uncomfortable, i find myself looking for bras that look like maternity bras but are not maternity bras! lol

HardlyEverHoovers Mon 11-Mar-13 16:19:26

Yeah, I had the same thing, and in fact I just stuck to maternity/feeding bras, as I'm still breastfeeding anyway (not for much longer though).

Cuddledup Mon 11-Mar-13 21:19:15

Hi there - here's an interesting article about how islam is the new feminism!

blogs.independent.co.uk/2013/02/08/are-female-converts-to-islam-part-of-a-new-wave-of-feminism/

nailak Mon 11-Mar-13 22:32:50

cuddled up what is your opinion on that? is it just the about dress?

crescentmoon Tue 12-Mar-13 02:26:20

Salam alaikum dear sisters just checking in. Cuddledup I really enjoyed that article you linked to I hadn't seen it at all! I would agree the convert sisters I know really inspire me as well because of their 'can do' attitude!
post more tomorrow only 19 more posts after this! sad naila as for history I think iv been trying to a little on this thread. if I ever did an Islamic studies course after the one I'm on I'd do it on history rather than fiqh or any other subject. I think a Muslim history month would be more unifying than 'mawlid' which is like a lightning rod for where you stand on everything else!
galvanise I read the comments as well and you have to take it easy. Religion and science in the west had a particular trajectory that religion and science in the Muslim world didnt have and so they speak more from their own history/experiences. Plus its more political than scientific- otherwise it would be 'welcome (back) to the ship of human scientific progress!'

HardlyEverHoovers Tue 12-Mar-13 15:25:05

Interesting article cuddleup I recognise a lot of what those women are saying. Think it goes much deeper than the dress code though. I also feel like I no longer compete with men in order to be equally valued. Like I can be female (and really female!) and proud, if that makes sense.

Cuddledup Tue 12-Mar-13 21:05:31

Nailak thanks for reading the article I linked to. I liked it - not because of their adoption of a new dress code - but because I really admired the passion of these young women for their new found faith. They sounded so mature. WOnderful! I agree with the sentiment about western culture can seem so shallow and really doesn't improve the lot of women. Personally I dread my sweet little DD becoming a teenager...

Crescent I never read all the comments at the bottom of the Economist article I'll go back and read them.

Cuddledup Tue 12-Mar-13 21:13:14

Ok I've just read the comments posted on the Economist article. They are horrid and racist. They remind me of a recent incident in Chipping Norton in David Cameron's constituency. The local Muslim population (a small group of people) wanted to use a room in a former shop as their mosque. The council approved the change of use but then the owner of the shop received threatening phone calls and has now refused to rent the shop to the local muslim community because of the threats.
V V depressing. Welcome to 21st Century Britain.
Very sorry for invading your thread - thanks for being so tolerant!

Galvanise Tue 12-Mar-13 21:23:28

We are nearing the end of this thread folks.....should we create another one and continue? What should the title be???

Galvanise Tue 12-Mar-13 21:26:18

smile

rocketeer Tue 12-Mar-13 21:29:21

I am not a Muslim, I am not religious at all but I have really enjoyed this thread as it has made me much more aware and 'educated' about different faiths and cultures. So thank you x

crescentmoon Tue 12-Mar-13 21:48:13

Today started off blah and iv just had some incredible news this evening. Something beyond our wildest wildest dreams I do not even know the words to praise and thank Allah properly. I'm beaming and grinning and feeling foolish- like the man in the hadith whose camel returned to him after he had thought it lost with all his provisions that he called out in giddiness 'oh Allah you are my servant and I am your Lord!' By mistake trying to praise God!

How's your day been hardly and cuddledup? naila fuzzy lost sisters hope your all ok. I loved those breast feed ing covers the one I got when I has dc3 is the reason I breastfed him much longer than the first two.

I'm so glad their baby years are behind me I can't wait for them to get more older so I can talk about stuff

crescentmoon Tue 12-Mar-13 22:11:24

Dear rocketeer I'm so glad for your comment- all along iv wondered how others have taken this thread. We really opened up didnt we? Iv been shy to read this thread through wondering how it would seem to other posters and lurkers on mumsnet! And cuddledup your presence here has been very dear to all of us especially me I'm glad you came back. thanks.
galvanise I'm really glad you started the thread I think it would be good to leave it here. Really i think so! Or set up a new one called 'Muslim chat?'. Got this video in a forward tonight about an initiative done by Muslims in Norway to reach out to fellow Norwegians and I thought its a nice video to inspire us here in the UK to do the same. Invite our neighbours into our homes and offer them the Sunnah of hospitality. Even the queen of Norway went to visit a Muslim family to have tea with them! Inshaallah in going to start with my own neighbours here. I do other things for them and with them but have never taken that step. But I feel inspired now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-vrt-ZeO1IA

The video is called 'how a cup of tea sparked a national movement' -just 3minutes. What do you think - corny? 'Try too hard'?

Galvanise Tue 12-Mar-13 22:25:21

Crescent, my mum and dad used to invite our neighbours over for tea quite often. Used to be really nice. It made one of our neighbours change her mind about selling up and leaving the area - we were the only pakistani muslms in the area. smile

Ok. Will leave this thread to end. Some great contributions. Been lovely chatting with you all. Lots of love and hugs to my fellow Muslim and non-muslim mnetters. smile

Salaam my lovelies. thanks

nailak Wed 13-Mar-13 00:21:04

are we finished now sad but why? I enjoyed getting to know you all!

Cuddledup Wed 13-Mar-13 06:55:42

The cup of tea video is beautiful - I hope it goes viral!
I look forward to meeting you on the next thread and if anyone wants to invite me over for a cup of brew I'll be there.
THank you again for your kindness and friendship. thanks

HardlyEverHoovers Wed 13-Mar-13 13:30:23

Congratulations on your good news crescent, and perhaps you should invite the queen over to yours for a cup of tea? [hot beverage] You might give a better impression than did the king of Morocco many years ago, when he left her sat on a wall for hours and then stood her up for a better invitation!
Rocketeer thanks for that feedback, it's really nice to know we haven't given an entirely awful impression of ourselves!
We're finishing are we? is that cos we're nearly at 1000? Perhaps we should entitle the next thread 'come and have a cup of tea with a Muslim', 'the Muslim tearoom', of course then we would have to decide whether we would allow sheeshas or not...at least that's what happens in my town every time a cafe run my Muslims opens up! Thanks everyone for all the support, interesting conversations and links, and special thanks to cote for keeping us on our toes, and cuddleup for joining in, and lots of others (gosh I feel like I'm making an oscar speech now, time to go...) thanks

nailak Wed 13-Mar-13 16:30:15

lool I how about the "meet the Muslims" thread?

HardlyEverHoovers Wed 13-Mar-13 20:22:20

I like it!

crescentmoon Wed 13-Mar-13 21:00:14

my mum practises something called 'samosa diplomacy' galvanise. ever since i was a child she used to cook for our non muslim neighbours regularly then send one of us to go and take it to them! and they used to send things to us, we used to talk at the door or on the street but very few times going into each others houses! i do a variation of that now as an adult - it can and has won over the most cantankerous people! but iv not taken the step of really properly inviting them in. we talk outside our houses alot, sometimes standing outside for ages but next time im going to say lets continue it inside inshaallah. but first im going to buy a lovely new moroccan tea set like the one in the video. and learn to make sweet moroccan mint tea, the proper one but not the one with orange blossom something something in it - bleuh!

funny you mentioned about shishas hardly, everytime a new muslim cafe opens huh? i think arab men use those shisha bars and the coffee houses as their equivalent of having a drink down the pub! sitting for hours drinking coffee and gossipping talking with their friends!

im going to try and stay offline after this thread finishes sisters, i spend too much time on mumsnet and now i have very little time with other commitments. thats why id prefer the thread dies never to be returned so we can all remember it fondly and itl end on a good note, else il be using a new muslim chat thread as an excuse to keep coming back online!

i laughed when i read you missed cotes pokes. ahh, maybe me too a little. hope she drops by before the end.

its been great talking my sisters. i hope i havent offended anybody with my posts. i love you all for the sake of God.

salam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatahu....
(May the peace, mercy and blessings of God be upon you)

nailak Wed 13-Mar-13 21:33:37

walaykum salaam sis,

we will miss u! was nice getting to know u!

what eva happened to meet up idea....

easter holls coming up!

CoteDAzur Tue 19-Mar-13 11:10:20

Hi all - Good to see I was missed grin and looking forward to the Muslim Tearoom!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now