Just curious - how many muslims are on mumsnet?

(998 Posts)
Galvanise Sat 01-Dec-12 00:21:53

Hello/Salaam,

I know mumsnet has a wide and diverse population and I tend to recognise some MN usernames as regulars. Just intrigued to know how big/small a community it may be.

Of course, I respect that there may be those who do not wish to even identify themselves for various reasons - which is fine too.

I am not asking for 'religiousness' levels or any vital stats! Nor is this a muslim-only thread or an 'no non-muslims' thread.
If you really wish to tell me that you are not a muslim, that is fine too smile

<Waves enthusiastically to all muslims and non-muslims> smile

crescentmoon Wed 27-Feb-13 02:34:06

(Just in case anyone wondered I asked sister hardly before I linked to her thread!)

naila that's something I don't do enough of- make dua. i do the sunnah duas It's not that I feel self sufficient. I feel Allah does so much for me anyway I feel embarrassed to ask for more. Sometimes id hide from Allah if I could I have so much goodness in my life and I don't even express enough thanks for it. i walk around with good people as if I'm one of them and Allah doesn't mark me out with all the rubbish inconsistencies I have.
For His Cover over me alone I sometimes feel I can't even lift my head up May God forgive me.I found for me making alot of Salawat on the prophet (pbuh) - reading prayers for him- helped ease that feeling sometimes as i just thought 'Ya Allah You love him and I love him sallallahu alaihi wa Salaam so can I come to You that way that if I pray for him You will send Your peace on me.'

nailak Wed 27-Feb-13 02:59:47

I understand how you feel sis. In my blog post I wrote about that. I hardly ask for things, and making dua for something is not an easy decision for me. But if there is nothing but khayr in it, it works.

And the rest of you, when crescent said that I was busy, what she meant is that my non Muslim dad died in the early hours of mon morning.

I am confused. I have made a thread in bereavement.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/bereavement/a1693899-Am-I-In-denial-My-Dads-died

HardlyEverHoovers Wed 27-Feb-13 07:05:29

So sorry to hear about your dad dear Nailak, may Allah ease your pain. I felt very confused when my gran died. In the end I just consoled myself that Allah is just and that's all I needed to know.

As for making dua, I've been led to believe that Allah WANTS us to ask Him for things, very every little thing that we want and need, to ask Him. It highlights our dependance on Him. Even if we feel we are not worthy to ask (and who is?) and we know He has given so much already.

HardlyEverHoovers Wed 27-Feb-13 07:08:39

Just read your bereavement post Naila, sorry last post based on how I felt when my gran died!
I would just go with what you feel. There isn't a right or wrong way to feel. My mum was surprised and how OK she felt when my gran died, she was waiting for it to 'hit' her, it never really did. I think that because she'd been ill for many years, my mum had already done her grieving along the way.

fuzzywuzzy Wed 27-Feb-13 07:28:50

From Allah we came to him is oru return.

I am so sorry for your loss sis. May allah grant you sabrun jameel.

Regarding duas, I was once with a group of friends and we were disucssing duas and what we ask of Allah, we were all saying small things, till one friend suddenly said, I don't get this, I ask Allah for EVERYTHING, it's Allah there are no bounds on Him.

It struck me so deeply that since then I have been asking for everything, both large and small.

It is Ibadah to be comepltely reliant on only Allah.

crescentmoon Wed 27-Feb-13 10:59:38

salams naila as i said to you in the pms im so sorry. i think the advice on the thread you had in bereavement was good - even my grandmother the one i mentioned earlier - when she died the overwhelming feeling we had in the family was relief for her as well as sadness. she had a stroke years ago that left her bed bound and her mind left her towards the last couple of years, we all took turns caring of her but it was hard seeing her suffering so when death came it was a release from that pain. may Allah have mercy on all of us and give us a good end.

hardly and fuzzy really good reminders. i do pray really hard for some things - preparing for both my job interviews i did alot of istikhara and dua. but on a day to day basis outside of the salah or the daily sunnah duas i dont often but il try now inshaallah.

well inshaallah is a dua by itself isnt it? i say inshallah (God Willing) all day 'when we eat breakfast inshaallah, after we go out inshaallah, when we get to the other side of the road inshaallah'. iv tried to make it a positive word for my kids too, growing up when my parents said inshaallah about something it meant a no!

BlueOrange Wed 27-Feb-13 15:46:34

Nailak, so sorry to hear about your loss. Not very good with advising on this one as i have always felt a range of confusing emotions upon a bereavement. There was some good advice on your thread though.

Agree with fuzzy and hardly about making dua for absolutely everything no matter how miniscule. It is sometimes easy to feel 'greedy' because we feel we always have something that we want from Allah. But Allah swt wants us to be 'greedy' in this sense. He wants us to ask, because we are acknowledging He is the only one who can give. We are acknowledging that we are dependant upon him solely for even the mallest of things. We should also ask of big things because we are acknowledging that only Allah has the power to give us these huge things that we ask of and for Allah these things are not difficult at all. Allah just says 'Be' and it happens.

Allah swt says that the smallest favour he does for us is that we take the next breath! Dont know the source of that statement though but the statement in itself shows the favours Allah does for us which we do not think to ask of!

It reminds me of surah rahman, the verse that continues throughout the surah which translates loosely to mean: then which of your Lord's blessings will you deny. If we spent our every moment saying thankyou to Allah, we would not have thanked him for each of his blessings.

I guess we can just keep asking of Allah and keep thanking Allah for bestowing His blessings on us

crescentmoon Wed 27-Feb-13 22:43:24

great reminder blue and your mentioning Surah Ar Rahman prompted me to read it today i havent read it in awhile. that verse repeated over and over always makes me ponder 'Then which of the favours of Your Lord will you deny?'.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aGyhiPA8hU - translation alongside recitation - i love the flow and melody of these verses the prophet (pbuh) said 'everything has an adornment and the adornment of the Quran is Surah Ar Rahman'.

i once heard a really interesting talk by an american sheikh - his name has left me but his words havent - on the importance of tailoring one's khutbah to what the community needs to hear at the time. the prophet (pbuh) had different words and advices to different people and all of those were recorded to be able to address different problems in the muslim communit(ies). so this sheikh said that urban muslim communities in the cities which had low educational attainment, low ambition, high unemployment needed to hear the part of the sunnah and scripture about working hard. that trusting in Allah doesnt just mean sitting passively waiting for things to come into your lap but that the context of having tawakul is to work hard and pray hard as the antidote towards fatalism or a feeling that one just needs to spend all their time praying and not work...

“Should I tie my camel and have Tawakkul or should I leave her untied and have Tawakkul.” the prophet (pbuh) replied, “Tie her and have Tawakkul.” (Tirmidhi)
“The believer dies with his sweat on his brow.” [An-Nasai]
"No one has eaten better food than that obtained through the hard labor of his hands." (Riyadh-us-Saleheen, Hadith 543)
'that the upper hand is better than the lower hand' (Bukhari)
""It is better for anyone of you to take a rope (and cut) and bring a bundle of wood over his back and sell it and Allah will save his face because of that, rather than to ask the people who may give him or not." (Bukhari)

Imam Al Ghazzali wrote in his Ihya Ulum Ud Deen that Jesus (as) once saw a man who had completely devoted himself to worship. When he asked him how he got his daily bread, the man replied that his brother, who worked, provided him with food. Jesus then told him, “That brother of yours is more religious than you are” (The Book of Provision, Chapter 1).
Al-Ghazali also mentions that Umar ibn Al-Khattab, used to stress this point further by telling people, “Never should anyone of you think that dua for sustenance without work will avail him, for heaven never rains gold nor silver” (The Book of Provision, Chapter 1).

Hasan al Basri said "I believe that my sustenance will never be hijacked by anybody (so I work to attain it). I know that a work that is mine must be performed by me, so I do not decrease my efforts in performing it."

BUT this sheikh said muslims in non urban masjid communities - who in america have higher than average salaries and often composed of professionals - and where educational and career attainment was very high. that imam, in the khutbah, doesnt have to say those reminders because people are already self motivated enough but instead the congregation need to remember all sustenance is in the hands of God. that it is apportioned and there is to be no exalting or thinking that God has honoured them if they are wealthy. so that they do not become too attached to dunya and forget the akhirah to come. in both types of communities it is to encourage balance so that they are not extreme in going after akhirah at the expense of themselves and their dependents in the dunya, or becoming preoccupied with the piling up of wealth and forgetting to put anything forward for the Day of Judgement. its about america but its relevant here in the UK also.

crescentmoon Wed 27-Feb-13 22:48:05

whoops meant to link this one instead..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr6HI6zDt5I

every ramadan for the last, umm, 10 years iv always tuned into the tirawee prayers in Mecca to follow the recitation and the english translations whilst eating iftar with DH. not this year but maybe next year i will get to spend Ramadan in Mecca inshaallah.

crescentmoon Wed 27-Feb-13 22:58:33

(i should have said whilst eating iftar with my parents then after marriage eating iftar with my DH!)

fuzzywuzzy Wed 27-Feb-13 23:03:27

May Allah grant your desire to perform Umrah, I'm hopig to go next year too inshallah.

crescentmoon Wed 27-Feb-13 23:06:03

its a fortune though fuzzy isnt it? i think 2 weeks umrah during ramadan is more expensive than the same period for Hajj. at least thats what i see from the tour companies i look at - what do you say?

fuzzywuzzy Thu 28-Feb-13 06:41:53

I last went 15 years ago!

From what I gather it gets more expensive during the last ten days, I'd aim for the beginning of Ramadan if budgeting, it also gets more crowded at the end almost like during hajj.

If Allah wills it will be made easy on us inshallah.

Intend to go inshallah & start putting money aside for it now inshallah.

crescentmoon Thu 28-Feb-13 08:14:00

pomegranate sis how about you have you been on hajj or umrah? my parents took me as a child but i went with DH again as an adult and then umrah with the dc. i was glad i didnt take ds and dd when we went the first time as it would have been so stressful but one sister brought her baby girl - the only one in the whole group who did - and i thought gosh its too much for small children! but mashaallah in Mina when we had to sleep in the tents this little baby was so cheerful and content we never heard her cry. i thought to myself mashaallah what a mubarak child she was my dc would have been running and playing and crawling over peoples sleeping bags all day and night lol!

crescentmoon Thu 28-Feb-13 08:17:57

i loved hajj though - so many people from so many places i just thought if we werent here for the sake of Allah what would we have had in common!? "and they will come on every lean camel and out of every ravine for the purpose of praising Allah". - until now when i hear the song 'Mountains of Makkah' by Zain Bhikha my eyes start to tear up when i hear that verse.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvbgaw972c4

nailak Fri 01-Mar-13 22:50:59

Yesterday I went to listen to Abu Bakr Shatri at Selwyn road masjid.

Standing in sallah with him reciting made me feel like I was almost in Mecca, and I have made intention to do umrah, inshallah next year when my committee money comes.

Also my ten year old niece pledged to raise £100 for the charity that was fundraising at the event, it is www.ewada.org.uk she pledged for the water borehole inshallah with the Abu Bakr shatri tour they are trying to raise at least £80 000 which is cost of one borehole.

Her mum is very worried how she is going to do this!

fuzzywuzzy Fri 01-Mar-13 23:28:39

Assalamaualaikum Naila,

Set up a just giving page with her and put it on your fb then ask for people to share it inshalla hshe'll make the moeny her intentions are wonderful mashallah.

My friends went too I missed it as I had madness yesterday friend has said one of her bucket list has been ticked off.

nailak Sat 02-Mar-13 00:22:07

aww i would have liked to have met u!

EWADA doesnt seem to be linked to just giving, so i sent an email reccomeding that they do link up!

sweriously it was amazing i was in tears

crescentmoon Sun 03-Mar-13 06:28:56

Salams my dear sisters,

fuzzy what does bucket list mean?

naila your so lucky in your end of London you get the superstar Qaris visiting! That must have been amazing to have Abu bakr as shatri leading the prayers. I also have my favourite qaris recordings.when I hear their recitations I feel the words of the Quran move me so much more. I love watching quran competitions during Ramadan or on YouTube for the same reason. But then DH likes a completely different style of recitation- he's a sheikh hudhayfi fan and qaris like him,I love the melodious qaris like sheikh Sudais. Or the deep baritones of the Egyptian qaris! Muhammad jibreel, Abdulbasit, menshawi

As for your neice we need to encourage her in things like that. I think it's s great cause and can change a whole community's outlook subhanallah. Has anyone been watching wild Arabia on Bbc? You can watch on iplayer really fascinating programme you will find yourself exclaiming 'subhanallah' all the time.

fuzzywuzzy Sun 03-Mar-13 12:43:09

bucket list is a list of things to do before you die. lol

crescentmoon Sun 03-Mar-13 15:28:55

Aww mashaallah may Allah aid her to achieve all her other goals as well then inshaallah!

Generally this has been a really nice peaceful thread alhamdullillah. I hope more people join in before it ends in 3pages!

nailak Sun 03-Mar-13 17:08:35

we would have to start another one! i am enjoying this! alhamdulillah

HardlyEverHoovers Mon 04-Mar-13 06:56:25

Definitely in favour of a new thread! I'd miss one. Although I wonder if people may miss out on joining in because we now talk about most topics in here, rather than starting seperate ones on the religion thread?

nailak Mon 04-Mar-13 09:48:09

Feels safe here!

HardlyEverHoovers Mon 04-Mar-13 10:50:11

Yes, that's why I like it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now