My cat has been poisoned

(163 Posts)
ScoobyDoo2012 Sun 17-Jun-12 17:12:06

Devastated is an understatement. Charlie began to look dizzy yesterday, I then found him barely conscious, took him to the emergency vets where they concluded he's been poisoned with anti-freeze.

My poor baby is fighting for his life, vet has given him vodka (?!) intravenously but I am feeling horribly miserable after doing some research and learning they often don't recover. He is only 2 and usually healthy. Seeing the vet at 7.30 to find the results of his bloods now they have done everything they can - this will then prompt either further treatment or euthanasia.

I went to warn my neighbours, who informed me their FOUR cats were killed the exact same way, and never told us?!?!? Have informed RSPCA and police. I am really struggling to deal with the fact this is most likely a deliberate poisoning.

Charlie was showing early signs of renal and kidney failure yesterday but has made it through the night and these bloods will tell us if the treatment has helped. Feeling very very sad right now.

I guess I am just posting in the hope that someone knows of a cat who has survived this sad Please keep your fingers crossed for my precious Charlie sad

ScoobyDoo2012 Sun 17-Jun-12 17:58:46

Hi, based on our neighbours 4 cats and cats from the other side of the village all dying from the same thing we suspect deliberate. And yes, from what I understand antifreeze has a sweet taste that animals are drawn to sad

BodyOfEeyore Sun 17-Jun-12 17:59:45

link to petition

I really hope he pulls through. There are some wicked people around. I have heard to dogs being poisoned by slug pellets too. sad

Pickles77 Sun 17-Jun-12 18:00:23

I really hope he's okay, <hugs>

ScoobyDoo2012 Sun 17-Jun-12 18:10:12

Thank you everyone... I am both praying for 7.30 and dreading it. I feel utterly sick. That cat is a member of our family and if human to cat kidney transplants were possible I would be the first in line to be tested sad Little Charlie has no idea how many people are praying he'll be okay.

SleepyFergus Sun 17-Jun-12 18:19:03

So sorry to read of this. Some very depraved and wicked people out there. Hoping Charlie pulls through. In meantime have signed petition and about to post link into my FB page. Hugs x

Elkieb Sun 17-Jun-12 18:23:55

How could anyone do that to a cat sad. Hope Charlie pulls through okay and is home soon.

Pinkie29 Sun 17-Jun-12 18:25:04

scooby I feel the same about my cat! It's vile how someone can hurt them like that and chances are its some stupid old biddy who had her flowers trampled on one too many times and doesn't realise the damage it can do! Hope he pulls through he's clearly a much loved kittie!

NoVegBeforeHerMej Sun 17-Jun-12 18:25:10

sad
This is horrible.
Your poor Charlie, and poor all of you.

Wishing all the best.

Petition signed!!!!! Willing Charlie to pul thru!!! sad

NatashaBee Sun 17-Jun-12 18:52:12

Everything crossed for Charlie sad

ScoobyDoo2012 Sun 17-Jun-12 19:01:11

Thank you, will be leaving in 15 minutes to go to the vet... Oh god I feel sick. We are wondering about the old lady who lives behind us, Charlie doesn't stray far but does go in her garden. She's got a gardener and is very particular about her garden... But I doubt we will ever know who did this sad

RandomMess Sun 17-Jun-12 19:09:29

Petition signed and will pass the link on, hope he pulls through.

edam Sun 17-Jun-12 19:57:12

signed petition, sending v best wishes to Charlie again.

ScoobyDoo2012 Sun 17-Jun-12 21:06:09

Charlie is hanging in there. Vet said he thought he'd be dead by now... So I guess this is a good sign? He seems better in himself but his blood results showed he now has full blown acute renal failure. Giving him another 24 hours on fluids and then re-assessing. Amazing vet even coming in tomorrow for charlie- on his day off. WISH we'd got him insured sad

I'll be thinking about him all day tomorrow sad he sounds like a tough kitty I really hope his kidneys recover!!! sad

Surely not deliberate? Why?

So sorry.

Fingers crossed xx

ScoobyDoo2012 Sun 17-Jun-12 21:19:00

Thank you so much. Non pet owners just don't understand sad Devastated just want him better. Even if he did get better now, the damage to his kidneys means he'd probably only live a year or so :S

edam Sun 17-Jun-12 21:24:26

Oh, poor Charlie. <crossing fingers the kidney damage isn't as bad as vet thinks at the moment>

Pinkie29 Sun 17-Jun-12 21:30:51

Ormiriathomimus sadly it is often deliberate, people deliberately put it out in their gardens it's very tasty to cats and usually a disgruntled gardener whose had their flowers ruined or vegetables pee'd on!

There was a story in the mail a few years back a woman was convicted of putting antifreeze in tuna and leaving it out for her neighbours cat she 'thought' it would just give them a dodgy tummy and put them off coming back? She killed both of them in a horrible way sad

QOD Sun 17-Jun-12 21:37:48

Horrible horrible people out there!

Have shared the petition on Facebook

People r just disgusting! It's such a nasty cruel thing to do. Not just the animal who suffers tremendously but the families who love them dearly. I hope who ever is responsible is caught and punished. Poor poor Charlie sad

YardBroom Sun 17-Jun-12 21:41:30

Come on charlie boy. You can pull through for your mum x

Send a leaflet to all local houses 'warning' them of the problem and letting them know that the police are involved.
This will warn cat owners but hopefully scare anyone doing it.

Charlie sounds a toughie , fingers crossed for him.

I am sorry Scooby. How horrible. There was a spate of that in our area too. It was in the paper a few months ago. Are you near me I wonder? Somerset?

ScoobyDoo2012 Sun 17-Jun-12 22:00:23

Nope, we are in Chester, Cheshire. I have read about Somerset and the daily mail article. Also shared it on Facebook, I have set up a group. I want to fight this, the fact is this is becoming more and more common. I am designing leaflets, warning people, telling them the symptoms and also including the fact this is illegal and that the perpetrator can be imprisoned.

I am so, so proud of charlie. Whatever happens he has put up a bloody good fight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now