Further freakingly fantabulous adventures of the 40+ Mummies

(1000 Posts)
10000Fireflies Thu 17-Jan-13 20:13:44

For gorgeous, frolicking and fabulous 40-somethings to share the joys of becoming a Mummy, just a little bit later than most!! grin. Park your zimmer-frame next to your baby buggy, put your feet up, and come and join us in the snug.

knickyknocks Tue 26-Mar-13 17:57:09

Thank you all for your lovely posts - it really has made me feel so much better.

eagle I honestly think you're amazing to keep going with BF. It really can be so tough and I completely admire your tenacity to keep going, especially as you feel you may be mentally scarred by the whole thing. It's just not as easy as people make out is it? If only...... Thanks for the tip of witchhazel, funnily enough the mw suggested that today, so have asked DH to pop to the pharmacy to get some. Need something, it all still feels stretchy where the stitches are, yuck! At least, the antibiotics are working, thank good ness I no longer fell like I'm weeing broken glass. God, it's glamorous isn't it!!

BBD you're so right about separation and guilt re leaving them at nursery etc. I sobbed the first time (and the second and the third time) I left DD at nursery, but they kindly rang me about an hour after she had arrived to tell me she had settled in and was busy enjoying herself. Plus, same as your nursery, there's a webcam that I can log into if I wish and DD always looks like she's having a whale of a time.

Wondering what this evening will bring. At the moment, Baby KK is fast asleep in the moses basket. Last night was pretty awful with crying for about 5 hours - it's not called the witching hour for nothing! Crossing fingers that was a blip!

eagleray Tue 26-Mar-13 18:19:54

Oh glad you've got some witch hazel on the way Knicky - you can pour it directly onto pads, and apparently it's also nice to have a sports bottle containing some diluted witch hazel to squirt as you wee (I didn't do this myself but others have recommended it). The broken glass feeling sounds just awful - poor you.

To avoid poo traumas I would recommend a couple of spoonfuls of linseeds soaked in a bit of water overnight then drink directly or stir into a nice yoghurt and eat that way. Greases the pipes, so to speak!

I am sure you are all sorted in the postnatal pant department but I will proceed anyway - I got a pack of big pants from Primark which are made of a synthetic, super-elasticy fabric rather than cotton and they were just heavenly. The cotton ones I had dug in quite a bit, whereas with the synthetic ones they were super stretchy and could even tuck my floppy tummy in very comfortably and still can

And so endeth Eagle's TMI lecture on hints and tips for broken fanjos.

blueblackdye Wed 27-Mar-13 08:41:38

Knicky, how was your night ? How about every one else ? Goat, Midget, VQ, LRM, Seaside ? I will get A to send out a message to all babies it is time to go back to good sleep pattern. The beginning of the night is the most difficult still for me, A can wake up after every cycle between 7pm and midnight. I have twisted a bit the CC on this occasion, around 11.30pm, I would feed her in my bed and transfer her in the cot when she sleeps. The past 3 nights she has slept until 7am. I m now looking into quantity of food to find out if it is hunger that wakes her up....

Sorry to hear about the jabs aftermath eagle hopefully is all out of her system now!
bbd BG crawls forward, and is getting fast - I have to be on my toes sometimes to stop mayhem! Re bottle, we do mid morning, mid afternoon, evening, and midnight. We had to separate it from eating, as he was getting confused between sucking and chewing. He has cut down a lot, to 800 ml. While this is much more than the recommended minimum, he ate insane amounts for about three months while he put on 4 kilos and grew 7 cm!! He is taking this catching up thing very seriously, obviously... He is also eating less at present, as he is less interested in purées and much more interested in finger foods, but his hand/eye coordination is only just catching up with his intention.
Sleep remains a problem for us in the second half of the night. I tried just leaving him to self settle last night when he woke at 2, but gave up at 4:15!! He is not unhappy, doesn't cry, is just wide,wide awake. Played in his cot and chatted away to himself. confused Brought him into bed with me, he eventually fell asleep for another hour. I can't keep him awake much past 6pm, so a later bedtime isn't possible, he still wakes for that feed at about midnight (won't take more during the day) - all suggestions gladly welcomed!

knickyknocks Wed 27-Mar-13 14:51:07

Hmmm Goat not sure what to suggest if he's not unhappy. How old is your LO? Can he pull himself up yet or does he try to, because I found the pick up put down technique very handy with DD when she attempted to get up in her cot at night. There again, he may not be old enough for that yet. How are his daytime naps? I'm just thinking (although know it's very difficult) is there any way to adjust his naps to allow him a slightly later bedtime? You've said that you can't keep him awake much past 6pm, so please forgive me if you've tried this route and it's a no go.......
Baby KK was fine last night, no hassle really. Just feeding him when he wants feeding. He still seems fairly chilled and sleeps for chunks at a time in the moses basket. I do wonder though when it's going to change, and people are starting to knowingly say that the 2 week mark is the time that it all goes pear shaped....

Midgetm Wed 27-Mar-13 20:06:29

I feel that if Anastasia gets back in track there is hope for us all!

The first few months of breastfeeding suck. Even the second time round. It is relentless and painful and draining. This is rarely in any of the books.... So glad I am now in the easy street but of it all. <touches wood before I get bastard mastitis again>.

Well I managed to give midge a huge bump on his head. Carrying him and Knocked his head hard on the door handle. It's the most he has every cried and even the boob couldn't calm him. Poor little thing and bad mummy. He seems fine so just keeping an eye on him. Big waves to all best go kiss dd good night. And look at my car. Delivered today but due to head knock I've not even taken it out yet. There is always tomorrow...

blueblackdye Wed 27-Mar-13 20:19:42

Knicky, what is this pick up put down technique ? Can you explain please ? Hope you are feeling better down there !
Eagle, how was osteopath consultation ? Is baby Eagle more settled ?
Goat, omg 4 kg and 7 cm ? Waouh you must be on 12 month clothing now ! Well done baby G, you are indeed catching up nicely ! I read somewhere that overstimulation could lead to night waking. DS did the same but he was older than baby G, I think we ended co sleeping as I was back to work when it happened, will see if DH has a more vivid memory and report later to you. With A, if she does not get enough sleep during naps, she would wake up several times on the second part of thenight. Sorry Ihave no advice but will keep this at theback of my mind in case some one mentions it.

blueblackdye Wed 27-Mar-13 20:22:02

Midget, as usual, you bring smile to my face ! Poor master Midge, though. Enjoy the ride tomorrow !

blueblackdye Thu 28-Mar-13 08:39:57

Midget, this is a lovely day to take the car out with kids and dog.
My American friends leave today. Shame shame shame... But this is life.
Sorting cloth again today for a friend who is expecting a LO in June. Realised I have only 6months+ cloth as we came back to the UK when A was 4 months. Any one has newborn and 3 months stuff they don't want, I m happy to take them for her. Gender will be a surprise.
Better get going, enjoy this bright sunny day

bytheseaside Thu 28-Mar-13 18:35:58

bbd hanging on to my teeny clothes until i decide whether we are going to try to do this one more time ... shock

eagle did osteopath help baby s was mega unsettled after injections. lots of crying, a bit like colic, but timing 24 hours after injections each time was suspicious ...

goat amazing growing!! what did you feed him?!

knicky hope all ok today

hi all other lovely 40s mums smile am a bit wrecked today - have been meddling with our workable but foolishly timed sleep routine, and am consequently knackered.

blueblackdye Thu 28-Mar-13 19:00:05

Seaside, waouh ! This is very good news ! Let us know when this happens.
Bringing lots of chocolate for this Easter with all of you in the snug.

eagleray Thu 28-Mar-13 19:06:28

Hi Seaside - hard to tell if osteopath helped as not sure how she would have been otherwise. She slept really well yesterday afternoon, but then from 7pm til 2am she was wide awake and wanting to feed, feed, feed.

Same again today - has barely slept all day and just wants to be on the boob all the time - I cried with the pain earlier as she's been chomping on them fairly aggressively for hours. DP has now taken her away and given her a dummy so that I can try and sort out our weekend away (booked a cottage and supposed to be leaving for there first thing tomorrow but can't get hold of the bloody owners!)

Sorry you are wrecked by sleep routine adjustments - did the meddling bring any success? Hope you get to catch up on some sleep over the weekend.

Oh dear - there are screams from downstairs. DP has just told me he left her in the utility room watching the washing machine as thought that would be a good distraction from boob.

What is everyone else doing for easter? Anything nice? Hope you all have a lovely long weekend

littleredmonkey Thu 28-Mar-13 20:13:47

Easter weekend activity will be training baby m to CIO. Oh can't wait soooo nervous how he will take it. Shite I can imagine. I know I will cry buckets. Dp is doing it initially and I will be back up. I am such a coward which is surprising as I am the first one to say things to people in the street if they dont say thank you for opening a door or poor service in a shop. I know it's different. I was very naughty today and naped him on my boob did not fancy the crying today

blueblackdye Thu 28-Mar-13 20:18:49

Eagle, hope you get some rest with DP's help. It will get easier.
LRM thinking of you and the training.

Midgetm Thu 28-Mar-13 22:39:16

Sounds like baby eagle is having a big growth spurt. Hurts like hell.

I've already had too much chocolate just licking all the ganache off my Easter cake as I was doing the icing. Heaven help me.

Good luck with sleep training LRM - I bloody hate it and can't do it for toffee - good idea to have DP doing it.

Right need to go to bed. Massage in the morning then off to Sussex for the weekend for Easter, at last I will get a good drive of my new car. Did I mention I have a new car?

littleredmonkey Fri 29-Mar-13 08:39:02

Midget wow you have a new car you never said! !!! I have a vision of you with a scarf on your head and the wind blowing. Like Bridget Jones haha.

littleredmonkey Fri 29-Mar-13 08:46:38

There is an easter egg in my kitchen looking at me saying eat me. Bloody chocolate. I shall be strong. Hoping the scales will reward me with only 3lbs more to go and lost 3 stone in 3 months. Midget I want some of your cake even the spoon from the mixing bowl please.
How is everyone today.
Bythesea. Hope your cold has gone and baby e is a happy girl. Need new pics please.
Goat. How's mini Tarzan doing today?
Eagle. How's you hope you are feeling better.
Bbh. Not working to hard I hope. How's Anastasia sleeps going. Thanks for the well wishes for our training honey

Dashing in to say hello to everybody and hope you have as fab weather as it is here. Long may it last. Better nights last two night, BG actually settled again after feeds. Yay. Though up at 5. Not so yay. Good luck with training Lrm, enjoy the new car midget, have a lovely weekend with big and little bbd. Hope you are feeling better eagle. knicky I'm sure it will last more than two weeks. Hello to all.

littleredmonkey Fri 29-Mar-13 08:48:39

Easter egg hunt in the snug.
See you all there

littleredmonkey Fri 29-Mar-13 08:57:30

Hugs to knicky as well sorry forgot ya. I blame the choccy in my kitchen distraction

Btw thanks knicky and bbd for thoughts on BG's wakefulness. I hoping that British Summer Time will sort the later bedtime for us. smile I am hopeless at keeping him awake past the times that he has deemed to be nap time! Maybe as he gets older? Don't know that overstimulation is a problem, I always feel that I don't stimulate him enough, but certainly amount of sleep in naps is becoming a problem. Though last two nights were better so fingers crossed...

Ps yes is on 9-12 month clothes now... I think he has a stash of extra food under his cot I don't know about!

ChairmanWow Fri 29-Mar-13 18:27:08

Hi all

Just joining this thread after having my DD (DC2) by c- section last night. I'm 40 and feeling especially clapped out today. However despite a day of fruitless labour and EMCS am in bliss with my beautiful daughter. Her big bro (just turned 2) handled meeting her this morning really well and was gazing at and stroking her, bless him. She really is totally gorgeous and so chilled out.

Just got a couple of days of hospital to get through. I don't think it was entirely deliberate to put the most irritating and demanding woman in the world next to me, but bloody hell her husband has turned up and is even more annoying. I want to stab him. He keeps picking up the baby and whistling into his face, laughing at himself then doing it again. Baby of course hates it and cries. Both parents find this hilarious. Then there's their daughter, who thinks closed curtains = open doors. Walked in pn me trying to coax my nip into DD's mouth, giggled, ran back to parents, whispered to them and they all started laughing. Pass the codeine and earplugs!

Anyway, sorry to start with a bit of a rant. I'm off for snuggles (or failing that double murder). Nice to make your acquaintance thanks.

littleredmonkey Fri 29-Mar-13 19:41:48

Hi cmw. Welcome to the oldies club. Congratulation on dd and baby brothers new sister. Soon be home and no random people driving you nuts.
Bit about me. 44. First ds born 4 October 2012. Dylan. Good pregnancy. Emacs after 18 hours labour.
Welcome to our gang
Now ladies it was far to light last night at 7 and took ages to get baby m to sleep so thanks to bloody amazon delayed post and bank hols no black out blind so plan b. I have taped bin bags yes binbags to the window and closed curtains which have black out lining on the with pegs attached a blanket to the curtain. It's like a coal mine in there. Ds laughed but only took 2 mins for him to be asleep and hope he sleeps past 5 when it would get light. Will report back in the morning
Goat. Super hugs for baby g sleep. He must have a secret stash of food size 9-12 months. Good work mama goat :-D

eagleray Fri 29-Mar-13 20:50:48

Huge congratulations Chairman! flowers flowers flowers

Great to hear that Baby Wow has finally appeared but sorry you are in post natal ward hell. I paid for a private room when I had Baby Eagle in Jan, such was my terror of being anywhere near anyone I hadn't met before. Problem was, I transferred all my irritation onto DP. There was a bed in the room for him to stay overnight but on the second night I told him to bugger off home as I was too annoyed for words with everything. Oh, and great to see that the feeding is going well too - I know you had an awful time with DC1 and know from personal experience how stressful that can be.

We have arrived at the cottage in the middle of nowhere (10 minute drive on a track to the nearest village!) and it's lovely. Only problem is the bedroom is only a few inches bigger than the bed so not sure yet where Baby Eagle is going to sleep. She's in her new travel cot (Littlelife Arc 2, which looks a bit like a one man tent) and it's nearly as big as the bedroom so think things are going to be a little tricky. Cosleeping is an option, but the bed isn't that big. I'm sure we'll figure it out later after a bit of wine...

Happy Easter to you all and wishing you peaceful sleep routines!

This thread is not accepting new messages.