What is the most unintentionally funny thing your DP has said or done?

(169 Posts)
Psammead Wed 23-Jan-13 21:34:31

When I was in labour with Dd2 and having fairly strongish contractions, I asked Dh to play some silly games to take my mind of it all for a bit. Just something really easy and childish where I wouldn't have to think too hard. I suggested 20 questions. I went first and he guessed it quite quickly (heliopter, I think), and then it was his turn. I must have asked 50 questions. Totally clueless. Very frustrated. No closer to guessing it than I was after question 1. So I asked him to just tell me the answer. You know what he had picked? As something simple and easy as a quick distraction while his wife was preparing to push out a 9 pounder?

The Nobel Prize for Physics.

The Nobel fricking prize for sodding physics.

I laughed so hard when he revealed the answer that a midwife came running in as the comtraction chart went all screwy.

BertieBotts Mon 04-Feb-13 17:59:33

grin Dawn you should write a blog or something! Then when your DH gains a following you can get rich by selling all of his hilarities in book form and on t-shirts.

Jollyb Mon 04-Feb-13 17:49:40

At my 12 week scan the sonographer pointed to a chair and said to my boyfriend that he should sit there if he wanted to get a good view of his baby.

He turned round and said 'I'm not even sure if it's my baby'. The sonographer didn't know what to say.

DP still doesn't know what made him say that. I have just about forgiven him.

FruOla Mon 04-Feb-13 17:34:28

I have literally laughed out loud at that, Dawn!

Not only at the fact that he's lost count of how many fingers, thumbs and toes (various) he has - but I have a vision of MrDawn having to take his shoes and socks off, during the maths test, to use all 20 wiggly bits to do his counting <SNORT> grin

<now weeping with laughter, goes for a lie-down to recover!>

DawnOfTheDee Mon 04-Feb-13 10:11:22

This weekend me and DH were talking about a maths test he has to ake as part of a qualification he's doing. It should be really easy but we were joking about him having to count on his fingers, etc

DH: Haha...well let's see...I've got 8 fingers, 2 thumbs and 4 toes. Wait...that's not right is it?

<face palm emoticon needed>

FruOla Sat 02-Feb-13 09:17:25

The other evening DP accused me of cooking a 'beige' supper. When I asked him what he meant he said "well, it's all beige .... all one colour .... I wanted some colour on my plate" (we had a pie, mashed potato and cauliflower cheese). It wasn't so much that he wanted green vegetables, just some different colours confused. I told him that next time I'd put some food colouring in the mash grin

Thingiebob Fri 01-Feb-13 23:53:54

I've said this before, my DH told me very seriously that he needed to see a doctor about his vulva.

He meant uvula. I was really tempted not to correct him.

CatDilemma Fri 01-Feb-13 23:27:06

It was ds birthday and his presents were hidden away upstairs. Dp said I'll go and fetch them you'll only drop them or something. Two seconds later he fell down the stairs with all the presents.
We were in bed and ds was winding dp up tickling him and running off. Dp had enough, jumped up to get ds got his foot caught on the bed and fell flat on his face. Ds ended up sat by his head looking shocked. I can't breathe for laughing every time I remember this and it was over 2 years ago now.

Kione Fri 01-Feb-13 23:18:46

thank you, crying with laughter and just marking the spot as I have to go now but i will continue reading tomorrow

FruOla Tue 29-Jan-13 20:17:09

Given their respective ages, I think my DP is the 'old guy idiot' that they just pander to (and I secretly suspect they don't actually want to collect him at all, just leave him here with us Earthlings to deal with!). Whilst, at least, your DH is young enough for 'more training' <SNORT>

DawnOfTheDee Tue 29-Jan-13 19:56:32

I wonder if they're from the same planet FruOla...? Depending on how their society works I think DH is either their king or the planet idiot grin

FruOla Tue 29-Jan-13 18:46:43

Dawn, my DP thinks the aliens his friends are going to come and take him 'home' some time soon ............. in fact occasionally he makes me leave the bedroom windows and curtains open so they know where to find him hmm .............. but he seems to be a little better 'trained' by his alien friends than your DH. Mine only comes out with the odd daft remark. Yours is a true idiot genius grin

DawnOfTheDee Sat 26-Jan-13 20:01:26

DH makes me laugh so much. He's like an alien....I love it grin

One more...

DH: What are girl horses called? I know boy horses are stallions.
Me: Mares
DH: Oh (looks unconvinced)
Me: You've heard the word mares before. What did you think it meant?
DH: I thought it was a type of horse
Me: What do you mean a type of horse? Name another type then.
DH: Stallions
Me: No, you know that's a boy horse
DH: Donkeys then. They're like baby horses.
Me: They're not though
DH: (suspiciously) Oh.

Cortana Sat 26-Jan-13 19:16:07

"Morph is brown" grin That is Classic <hint hint hint MNHQ>

ThistleDown Sat 26-Jan-13 18:40:28

I am sitting here laughing like a loon! Mauve, trexing, spiders being bodies with eyes!!! Hahahahahaha, I'm in pain and weeping.

Thank you OP grin

FruOla Sat 26-Jan-13 18:39:59

Thanks, OliviaMNHQ! How often does the Classics Nomination Sub Committee meet?! Do we need to supply you The Committee with gin, cakes, chocolate <insert vice of your choice>?

I do hope The Committee can see its way to moving this to Classics in due course. wink

(At this rate Dawn could have a thread all to herself about her DH's sayings grin)

Mynewmoniker Sat 26-Jan-13 17:48:10

Not DH but MIL years ago after meeting VERY lovely, friendly and gushingly camp neighbour

"He's lovely he is...I don't know why he's not married." hmm

Mynewmoniker Sat 26-Jan-13 17:45:06

Yer never too old to learn eh? MAUVE grin

DawnOfTheDee Sat 26-Jan-13 12:01:10

I can't resist. Here are a few more (not animal related though)....

Sat in hotel lobby waiting for bingo to start
DH: (looking at bingo machine) What's that number?
Me: It's....
DH: (interrupts) Is it the number of people in this room?
Me: No. It's the bingo machine.
DH: I can probably count the number of people in this room.
Me: Only probably?
DH: I mean, I definitely could
(There were approx 30 people in the room. DH did not attempt to count them. The number on the bingo machine was 72.)

DH: (pointing at purple-ish sunset) What colour would you say that is? Purple or blue?
Me: Mauve
DH: Morph?
Me: No, mauve
DH: Morph is brown
Me: Not Morph, mauve!
DH: Oh. What colour is that then?
Me: Sort of purple-ish
DH: Hmmm, mauve. How do you spell that then? M A U V E?
Me: Yes.
DH: Mauve. I'm learning stuff

DH: (smugly) I know what you think when you look at me.
Me: Oh yes?
DH: Yes. You look at me and think 'penis'.
Me: Yep. Not going to argue with that.
DH: (no longer smug) That came out wrong

CloudC Fri 25-Jan-13 23:41:04

Passing the Lewis Grassic Gibbon centre I suggested we stop and visit and have afternoon tea. As we got in the door, dh looks around and says "I can't see the monkeys" me "what?" Dh "maybe they are behind the curtain" me grin

DH (biology graduate) and I took his SIL out for a drink after the arrival of her first child. Went out early as SIL mentioned that, what with the stitches, she couldn't really stand so needed to be sure of a seat.

Coming home, DP comments "I didn't think SIL had a CS"?
Me: Umm, no, she didn't
DP: So where are the stitches?
Me: [Provides explanation of where, and why]
DP: shock
Me: [Laughter for next ten minutes]

It got better though. Mentioned story to DM, in DP's presence. She snorted and came out with "Well, I had stitches too, but we only had shiny loo paper to wipe with back then". Why didn't I have a camera for that one? grin grin

Wereonourway Fri 25-Jan-13 23:05:40

My ex and I went looking for a new bed and pulled into a retail park to see a new shop had opened, the Bed Depot.

"Oh how lucky is that" said ex "there's a bed dee pot".

He thought depot was prounounced dee pot, like tea pot.

Eglantyne Fri 25-Jan-13 22:50:11

I've read the whole thread, and my prize goes to Pollykitten's DH grin

grin Dawn. "Is this going in your book?" hahahahaha brilliant!

DP calls his down below area his "appendice" instead of appendage.

timidviper Fri 25-Jan-13 22:42:25

My DH once suggested to save money I should buy mince that is minced more finely because you were paying for less air inbetween the meat. Despite pointing out you bought mince by weight so it didn't matter, he just could not see it. This is the highly qualified engineer who knows all about physics, maths, etc

Mynewmoniker Fri 25-Jan-13 22:07:58

I keep laffin at bats n eggs spiderlight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now