Tearoom 35: Sun, sea and sand...

(990 Posts)
beanandspud Sun 27-Jan-13 20:33:55

This breathtakingly beautiful island has unspoilt powdery white sand beaches, crystalline turquoise waters that wash over pristine coral reefs, and verdant green rainforest.

Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and sailing trips are available and you can discover the island's charms on foot (with or without Mellors the guide) by mountain bike or private island buggy.

For those in need of pampering the spa offers a selection of luxurious treatments to soothe and heal both body and soul.

For dining, enjoy a freshly prepared meal at the tearoom, a picnic on the beach, or a delicious dinner in the oceanfront restaurant with its stunning sea views. There is wine, brew and good company, everybody is welcome.

Jacksmania Wed 19-Jun-13 18:47:33

I could do with some coffee smile - thanks!

Hello all... I've lurked a bit, not really had time to post, lots going on but mostly good. Well, ok, it's been a bit stressful, but should be good from now on... we're moving our office space next Thursday, so once that's over and everything's been put where it should be, I might have more free time smile
I wish we could move the office the way we move the Tea Room... with a wave of the magic wand grin
I'd even move in an aspidistra grin

UniS Wed 19-Jun-13 19:04:33

WOW, JM wanting to move an aspidistra! Things must be bad.

Here, have a vat of brew coffee. I am just off to try and clear teh dining room table of DHs sewing stuff so I can host a meeting this evening while he is out at Choir practise. DH is making a cycle cap... Its taking him a while as he hasn't used his sewing machine in 15 years.

mistlethrush Thu 20-Jun-13 10:55:30

I would like a picture of your DH's finished item please UniS!

JM - the Aspidistra has been happily growing to the extent that it has been split up and now has a small relative that would be honoured to grace your new premises grin

I like craft kits for girls - french knitting and similar - I always liked them when I was little and at least they're not all branded etc.

I have just got a Neuf gun for DS's friend... presents from that boy to DS have been horrid tacky plastic transformer things that need parental involvement to get them to change, and have bits that drop off and get lost and are generally really irritating... so I thought said present was somewhat less annoying, but still could be fairly trying grin

Scout19075 United States Mon 24-Jun-13 21:36:22

Took SmallBoy to the orchestra yesterday (children's performance/half-an-hour concert) of The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. He loved it -- was completely entranced by it.

mistlethrush Mon 24-Jun-13 22:52:17

good piece to go to too... We would have joined you if we could have done...

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 25-Jun-13 09:03:10

::waves to everyone::

mistlethrush Tue 25-Jun-13 09:46:18

Maud!!! flowers

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 25-Jun-13 11:33:01

Thank you. Let's share the thanks.

UniS Tue 25-Jun-13 12:11:34

Can I also bring flowers

imaginate.redbull.com/videos/riding_film this film is fantastic, short too. makes me want to go and play with boy's finger bike.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 25-Jun-13 12:20:50

Wow. Some impressive skills on display there.

Scout19075 United States Tue 25-Jun-13 13:47:10

Half-an-hour was just long enough for SmallBoy.

I've made a test batch of mincemeat -- my house smells like Christmas in June. I've used the same recipe as the last few years but this time, instead of using normal brandy I've used my (homemade) cherry brandy. My SiL is going to test bake for me since I don't like mince pies. Going to mix up a test batch of Christmas pudding tonight.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 25-Jun-13 14:25:34

That's impressively well-organised, Scout!

I'm glad SmallBoy enjoyed the concert.

Jacksmania Tue 25-Jun-13 15:45:16

I've always thought that Scout was someone I'd quite like to have at my side if I were ever going to organize something big, like a convention, or maybe going to war...

I always feel a bit "oh gosh... I won't get to that for months or, actually, EVER when you list your various activities. blush

That gives me an idea. We're moving the office on Thursday. You wouldn't like to beam yourself and Small Boy over here and do the whole thing for me help? The boys could play...

<waves at everyone>
does not expect anyone to react with flowers

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 25-Jun-13 15:57:00

For Jacksmania, just to confound her

thanks

Jacksmania Tue 25-Jun-13 15:59:34

Maud grin

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 25-Jun-13 16:21:09

wink thanks wink

mistlethrush Tue 25-Jun-13 16:28:50

Looks as though you're giving yourself hayfever Maud

Jacksmania Tue 25-Jun-13 16:40:26

Achooooooo!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 25-Jun-13 16:47:25

::proffers a linen hankie::

Scout19075 United States Tue 25-Jun-13 17:51:05

Oooohhhhh, JM, I'd so there be in a heartbeat! I know, wrong country and wrong coast, but I was thinking today how much I want to get off this continent and go back to my own. Gah, homesickness sucks.

As for Christmas goodies, well, I need to know if I need to make more cherry brandy as it takes about three months to make. I make mincemeat and puddings in September/October time so if I need to make more brandy I have time. Cherries and brandy are really expensive and I don't want to go making loads of cherry brandy if it won't get used.

SmallBoy and I went out exploring the wildlife area across the road and didn't encounter any dogs or other people. Lots of bees and birds, though! We've watered all of the flowers -- our own and the council's (that we're in charge of) -- and our bags of potatoes. I think we're going to harvest the potatoes next week. SB's marigolds have lots of buds and a couple of them have started to open, so much excitement today when watering. My lavender still smells lovely (a gift from MiL last week when I commented that my lavender died over the Bank Holiday weekend when we were away and I didn't water it as they were seedlings and inside so not getting the benefit of the rain). I'm trying to work out if I can actually dry some of it and make lavender & rice heat bags for Christmas keeping in mind I can't sew and don't own a sewing machine. Our Christmas trees don't seem to be growing but they don't seem dead, either, so I'm not sure what to do with them. Our miniature sunflower looks sturdy and strong and not due to blossom until July/August/September sometime. The council flowers are slowly dying. It looks like someone or something has been doing some digging and that at least one of the plants must have had some sort of rot or never rooted. I need to find out what the Council wants us to do with the planter once these flowers die.

We need to get a wiggle on and make more Fourth of July decorations. We've made one or two but the house needs to be bursting with red, white & blue!

Maud, and anyone who was a Guide or even just has an opinion, what do you think of the new Promise?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 25-Jun-13 21:11:48

Scout - I'm a bit nonplussed by it, really. In all my many years now of Promise ceremonies, I've only had one girl who wasn't happy mentioning God (not even her God, and we coped fine with that) and one who wouldn't commit to serving the Queen because her family are republicans (and that's the one area of the Promise that isn't changing). So, I'm glad it's changing in a way that won't deter people who are uncomfortable with any notion of God, but am surprised (and at the same time not surprised) that probably the most controversial aspect isn't changing.

mistlethrush Tue 25-Jun-13 22:29:07

Also a guide -I am not particularly impressed - I can cope with the god bit - but to change 'country' for 'my community' makes me think that everything can get a bit insular rather than inclusive...

UniS Tue 25-Jun-13 23:03:35

&#128569; I found a different emoticon... cut n paste to get it here, anyone now what it is?

tennis is around now too, maybe the &#128569; can chase the tennis whiel we eat biscuit s and drink brew

UniS Tue 25-Jun-13 23:04:06

[&#128569;]

UniS Tue 25-Jun-13 23:06:59

umm, not working when it posted then... ho hum. don;t mind me....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now