Bands/Artists that everyone else loves and you just don't get...

(94 Posts)
YokoUhOh Sun 02-Jun-13 21:12:23

The music press always rave about Arcade Fire: they are utterly without merit as far as I can tell. Emperor's New Clothes. They sound like New Order, you say? Not in their wildest dreams with a 60ft pole. Finking, frugging, hippy-dip, tuneless shite. I feel the same about Editors and Mumford & Sons. Pasty, sweaty men with guitars and limited record collections, the lot of them; whenever I hear them I channel Adam Ant pulling a huge jukebox plug out of the wall in the Antmusic video.

Thank you for allowing me to get this off my chest grin

<hides from a melancholy-looking bunch wearing Converse>

smile

YokoUhOh Sun 02-Jun-13 21:19:13

Come on, haters! Who really makes your ears feel sad, but is inexplicably loved by everyone else?

PrincessOfChina Sun 02-Jun-13 21:22:03

Radiohead. They just leave me cold. I went to see them with DP. They were slightly less dour than expected.

Mumford and Sons. They just got lucky. Could be anyone.

U2. Meh on a plate.

I do like The Arcade Fire though. Excellent live.

YokoUhOh Sun 02-Jun-13 21:27:56

Yeah, I've seen Radiohead a few times, slightly boring (dangerous thing to say here in Oxford!). Definitely overrated and - dear God - Nigel Godrich is the world's most conservative producer...

happyreindeer Sun 02-Jun-13 21:37:08

Any britains got talent shite, or the voice shite that everyone loves for 5 minutes.
One direction.
hip hop and gangsta wrap.

PrincessOfChina Sun 02-Jun-13 21:37:28

They just make me sigh a bit. Just don't get it.

usualsuspect Sun 02-Jun-13 21:38:02

David Bowie
Muse

Allthingspretty Sun 02-Jun-13 21:40:22

Mumford and sons. I saw an interview with them when they were at the Brits and one of them said something that pissed me off. Dont like the music either.

YokoUhOh Sun 02-Jun-13 21:44:06

So we're agreed on the Mumfords then? <righteous>

usual noooooo not Bowie, he's got something for everyone! limps off like a wounded dog, yelping

YokoUhOh Sun 02-Jun-13 21:45:42

reindeer love me a bit of hip-hop/gangsta rap although, like any genre, it has its fair share of dross

usualsuspect Sun 02-Jun-13 21:46:59

Queen

peggotty Sun 02-Jun-13 21:48:12

Mumford and sons - surely those jangly banjo bastards have had their day? I liked them for about a week in 2011. Muse are always on these threads.

I agree with U2, and I hate Rat pack Frank Sinatra type stuff.

peggotty Sun 02-Jun-13 21:48:50

ANd I love Arcade Fire!

chimchar Sun 02-Jun-13 21:48:59

I like Mumford and sons blush, but cannot STAND Florence and the machine.

I'm sure that Florence is a lovely lady, but I hate her voice.

Mumfords here too. In theory I should like them as I'm into folk rock, alt country etc. but I just find them really dull.

Also - The Beatles
<ducks and hides>

PoppyWearer Sun 02-Jun-13 21:50:34

Rihanna/Beyonce and the Jay-Z stable leave me cold.

Oh, and Coldplay.

YokoUhOh Sun 02-Jun-13 21:50:39

Jangly banjo bastards smile

I have a wholly rational and carefully considered fear of Marcus Mumford, he's like sweaty sour milk with five chins

gwenniebee Sun 02-Jun-13 21:51:52

Pretty much anything played on Radio 1 and most of the stuff on Radio 2 - with just a few exceptions.

I have always felt this way. I think I was born in the wrong century.

queen
u2
abba grin

YokoUhOh Sun 02-Jun-13 21:54:01

If you'll allow me a gavel, The Beatles sit atop the pop mountain, surveying with disdain all those who try to match them. They are without equal.

And not just because I'm John's wife, before you call me on it.

bountyicecream Sun 02-Jun-13 21:59:03

Lana del ray. - just want to string myself up whenever I hear her start

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Sun 02-Jun-13 22:04:58

Manic street preachers

Ok so not so much raving about them gets done these days but what a collection of droning, whining dirges. Thank duck they seem to have fucked off for now

And these days biffy clyro have in my brain become tje new them. Utter shit. And I'll listen to any old shit but not that

The Smiths

YokoUhOh Sun 02-Jun-13 22:16:14

smellslike did you see the 'This Life' revisited episode where they all danced to A Design For Life with their arms in the air? Christ. I love The Holy Bible, insane album.

Now I used to say The Smiths. I was wrong.

HappyJustToBe Tue 04-Jun-13 21:22:29

I saw Mumford and Sons at the beginning and they're amazing live in a small venue. I'm very upset they have... haterz sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now