This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

British Red Cross Baby and Child First Aid app feedback thread. NOW CLOSED

(138 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Nov-13 10:01:11

This thread is for the 250 MNers who have downloaded the British Red Cross Baby and Child First Aid app (available free of charge on iTunes App Store or Google Play for Android).

If you're a tester – once you have downloaded the app and shared/discussed it with your friends, family and/or neighbours – please add your feedback by answering the questions below:

~ What would be your one line summary of the app?

~ How easy or difficult do you find the app to use? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.

~ How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.

~ How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc?

~ Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there?

~ What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here?

~ Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?

~ Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections?

~ Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent

Please also add a review on the iTunes App Store or Google Play for Android and on the MN app review pages

All MNers who take part and who add feedback as required will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a first aid learning pack from the British Red Cross (consisting of two Baby and Child First Aid gift cards worth up to £120, a first aid manual worth £10.99 and a compact first aid kit worth £10.99.

Thanks and good luck MNHQ

PS: Everyone is – of course – welcome to download the app!
PPS: Tell them your story. British Red Cross always like to hear about how you have used the first aid skills that you have learned or situations that have inspired you to learn first aid. Please email your story to redcrosstraining@redcross.org.uk titled 'My story'

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 07-Jan-14 11:28:00

Thanks for all the feedback from testers.

Am pleased to say Mummawalker wins the first aid learning pack from the British Red Cross (consisting of two Baby and Child First Aid gift cards worth up to £120, a first aid manual worth £10.99 and a compact first aid kit worth £10.99). Well done

florencebabyjo Fri 03-Jan-14 08:43:48

What would be your one line summary of the app?
Essential life saving app for anyone with children

~ How easy or difficult do you find the app to use? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.

~ How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.

~ How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc?
5 Preparation and revision would be good. \i wouldn't use it in a life or death situation, but I have learnt a lot from it and hope that these skills learnt from the app would help in that situation. I would check up using my phone in less urgent situations though.

~ Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there?
thought this was useful and doesn't need anything else.

~ What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here?
I wouldn't use this and would not be happy adding my child's details onto a phone app.

~ Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?

Definitely, it is good to know that I have the information on hand especially when I am out and about.

~ Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections?

Drowning, shock, stuck items in noses, ears etc, impaled items, children with items stuck on them, eg fingers

~ Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent 5

rockybalboa Sat 21-Dec-13 15:34:29

Very useful info to have to hand.

To learn (as in I need to sit and read through it all like a book). Potentially in an emergency situation but would definitely use for reassurance.

No, really useful.

I'm not sure I would use this.

~ Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?
Yes, reassuring to know that I have that information easy to hand should the need crop up without having to desperately search the web.

None that I can think of

~ Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent

Manchesterhistorygirl Wed 18-Dec-13 23:17:37

The one night I needed to use the app it refused to open on my iPad or iPhone! My iPad is a 4 and phone is a 5s.

I ended up going to the ooh doctors instead!

evelynj Wed 18-Dec-13 20:30:27

1-all you need to know for fast first aid
2-5
3-5
4-use for all those, mostly to learn and in an emergencyo
5-more info in the app, (useful if e.g. Camping with no wi-Fi/3G signal so can't access web)
6-don't think I'd use
7-Yes, I'd forgotten a lot as luckily not had to put anything into practice so far
8-can't think of any-will add another message if I do later
9-5

EmLH Wed 18-Dec-13 19:14:14

1. Concise reminder of what to do in common situations that would require first aid.
2. 5
3. 5
4. As a reminder and possibly in an emergency if I had the presence of mind to look at it.
5. No, it has all the info you need.
6. No, I doubt I'd use this section.
7. Has reminded me of things I knew but had forgotten, I.e. how treating a choking baby differs from an older child, so yes, I feel more confident.
8. No. It's basic but covers most emergencies and would help you until professional help arrived.
9. 4

ThisIsMeNow Mon 16-Dec-13 08:12:53

* reassurance and confidence at your fingertips

* keep up to date and feel confident dealing with an emergency

* all covered!

* good idea but not sure if I'd use

* yes

* no

ckkj Sun 15-Dec-13 22:45:43

Great first aid app at the tip of your fingers

How easy or difficult do you find the app to use? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.
Very easy as it is split into categories depending on the situation

How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.
5 - It's great that there is learning information for differing ages where applicable and that there are videos to go with the text

How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc?
I think it would be used in all the above

Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there?
No thoughts in particular. It's useful to have links to more information

What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here?
To be honest this is not something I would use as the app is on my phone and no one else would be able to access the information and I would already know it

Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?
Yes

Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections?
It may not be an emergency but I think it may be useful to know what to do were there is no obvious injury e.g. if a baby or child has a fall but no broken bones or head injury look out to see if baby lethargic etc.

Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent

nancerama Sun 15-Dec-13 22:08:44

Very useful indeed

All of the above, but mostly for reassurance and to learn

It included way more than I was expecting. It can be a little disconcerting to be sent to other sites, but I can see the reasoning behind this.

It's not something I would think about using, but you never know.

Yes. And as I always have my phone to hand, its really useful to have emergency information at my fingertips.

It covers loads. There's nothing that immediately springs to mind.

So good I've recommended it to all the parents on our NCT Facebook page.

mummyofcutetwo Sat 14-Dec-13 15:38:52

Sensible first aid info at your fingertips.

I think largely to refresh on previous knowledge and for reassurance.

Can't think of anything else atm.

I didn't think that this section was particularly useful.

Yes, I've realised that my knowledge and instincts are pretty good.

Can't think of anything atm.

5 stars

LittleMilla Fri 13-Dec-13 20:40:44

A useful tool to have onhand should anything horrible happen.

More as prep as I still think that in most emergencies people will simply call 999

I didn't like being sent straight to NHS website. More content actually on the app would be helpful.

Probably wouldn't use it TBH

Yes

Something about drowning/inhaling water in the bath or pool

Really good and I feel reassured that I've downloaded it. My mother-in-law will be chuffed to bits too - she's known as Granny Health & Safety!

MummaWalker Fri 13-Dec-13 14:48:06

I've been reading through this app the last few days. It actually pretty good! Currently I am reading up on the "Learning Section" which has short video clips, simple diagrams, and basic, straight to the point, no medical jargon, instructions and tips. It's all in bite sized bits so it's easy to take in and absorb. There are also little quizzes to see if you actually are getting the right idea.

A fab little learning tool.

There's a "prepare" section which I have only glanced at so far but from what I have looked at it is packed with useful information, some of it might seem obvious, but other stuff maybe not so much. There's is also an "Emergency" section which you could refer to to help you get though a scary incident, everything from a fever or nose bleed, though to meningitis, poisoning, and unconscious baby or child.

There is a Hospital Finder in the Tools section, which I think would be vital if, for example, you're away on holiday or a day out and something happens and you simply don't know where the nearest A&E is!

Obviously - if there is a real emergency - these are not things to do instead of or before you call for an ambulance, but things to learn beforehand, things that you can do to help while waiting for it to arrive, and also to give the emergency response team valuable information. They are also handy do's and don't's so you're not actually making things worse while you try to help.

Basically it's a bloomin useful app to have. We almost always have our phones with us, I know I do, and my iPad too, so it really is to-hand advice and I highly recommend it.

(full review: blog.family-walker.co.uk/2013/11/dealing-with-emergency-with-your-phone.html)

CuriosityCola Fri 13-Dec-13 08:07:56

Riskit, I didn't get notification either.

Stujobohm Thu 12-Dec-13 12:51:02

~ What would be your one line summary of the app? Potential life saving app

To keep up to date and refresh current first aid and also reassurance in an emergency.

~ Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there? All covered well.

~ What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here? Not sure I would use this but it's a great idea!

Yes definitely.

~ Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections? No everything was covered well.

riskit4abiskit Wed 11-Dec-13 22:09:22

I didnt realise i had been selected to review but then mnhq kept sending me emails to review so here's my summary:
line summary of the app?
accessible format for basic first aid in the home

How easy or difficult do you find the app to use?
5 but then I am quite IT savvy anyway.

To learn - 4, but nothing can compare to having a real life course.

do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding?
I found the test a bit redundant and/or patronising but that's just my opinion.
I think to learn and prepare are its best uses, but in an emergency I would follow the app step by step.

Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there?
I thought this was excellent, esp as the info was not too blocky and text heavy. I liked that it referred to everyday items that could be used, like cling film.

What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use?
No as I would hand over babies red book to medical professionals or would ensure any other carer knew this info.

Has downloading and using the app made you feel moreconfidentabouthelpingachildinafirstaidemergency? A bit but I did a hearstart course that helped more.

Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections? No but perhaps a section in prepare for expectant mums, reducing sids risk, how to avoid overheating baby with blankets, how to childproof your home etc.

Overall what star rating would you give the app? 4 stars - but nothing can compare to a real life course. Hopefully I will never need to use it in an emergency!

boptanana Tue 10-Dec-13 22:13:57

A comprehensive first aid app

~ How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc

To learn so prepared for incidents

It was good although some parts seemed a bit simplistic and condescending

No I wouldn't use but would bt useful if child had lots of medicines

Yes I haven't done a course for a few years and it was comforting that my knowledge wasn't out if date.

No

Mainly to learn or react to injury but not in a real emergency

No

It would be useful of your child takes lots of medicines to keep track

Yes

Eyes

AShowerOfBastards Tue 10-Dec-13 22:01:17

Really informative, well thought out and easy to use app

How easy or difficult do you find the app to use? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.

How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.

How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc?
Personally I will use it to learn and to reassure myself that I could handle an emergency situation. I expect most other users will do the same, I hope I am never in an emergency situation but I think if I was I probably wouldn't be relying on a phone app, although I thought the 'emercency' shortcut was a good idea.

No it seems very thorough

What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here?
Probably won't use this particular section but a nice idea in theory

Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?
Yes

Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections?
Again I think my immediate areas of concern are covered

Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent

WitchOfEndor Tue 10-Dec-13 21:50:48

~ What would be your one line summary of the app? Essential first aid guide at your fingertips

5 stars

5 stars

As reassurance and in emergency

~ Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there? No, can't think of anything

I would only fill this out if DS had existing issues

Yes, although I would still panic a bit!

No

5 stars

BlahBlahYackedySmackedy Tue 10-Dec-13 20:39:25

Very easy to use and essential for parents

~ How easy or difficult do you find the app to use?

5. Very easy to navigate around and find what I wanted quickly

~ How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid?

5. It is written in a clear and concise manner with procedure and advice easy to understand.

I would use this as preparation in case something ever did happen. Touch wood it doesn't but its good to feel reassurance that I could do something. If the situation was an emergency, I feel I could be doing something to help my child whilst I await for an ambulance/professional medical help to arrive, which could save a life.

I can't think of anything I would like to include in this section

I don't think I would use this. I cannot see why it would be there as I would be aware of any medications/allergies and would not to record it on my phone.

Yes, and it is useful to read through every now and then just to refresh. It is all easily accessible in one place rather than googling and trawling the internet for info.

No I cannot think of anything

CuriosityCola Tue 10-Dec-13 20:33:59

I found the app intuitive and useful.
Main use - reassurance
Child record is useful, but not convinced I would be organised enough to use ��
Pleased I downloaded the app. Being prepared for my kids is something in very aware of.
Overall I would give a 5* rating. Would happily recommend to friends and family.

Lovescourgettes Tue 10-Dec-13 20:22:38

The app was really easy to use so I would give it 5 stars for that and also a 5 for the first aid content . I think it is reassuring to have in an emergency I have never bothered to learn even the most basic first aid and go completely to pieces at the first sight of blood or bodily secretions so this is helpful . I am rapidly running out of space on my phone but I won't delete this app . The prepare section was a the most interesting but only because it was so disturbing it conjured up an nightmarish scenario of some kind of awful natural/nuclear disaster where I need a 'grab bag' containing a pen knife and survival snacks. I don't want to prepare a grab bag (remember your pets unless collecting them slows you down or exposes you to further danger) so I probably won't survive the apocalypse. Other guides in this section were just patronising .I couldn't even find the child record section but I can probably manage to remember the children's medical histories without having it referenced elsewhere . Yes I would feel more confident about administering basic first aid although I hope I never have to and overall 5 .

Mouseface Tue 10-Dec-13 20:17:16

~ What would be your one line summary of the app?*

A real, easy to follow, life saver

I've had to learn infant and toddler CPR due to my DS but I think any parent would be keen to learn, revise and continue to keep up to date with a life saving ability/skill/knowledge like this

Nothing that I can think of - keep it simple and keep it basic

My son is registered all over the place with his conditions and disabilities so I would be happy to use this app, I can understand that others would not

It's refreshed my memory and training

Choking is a HUGE infant/toddler/child worry, I've had to remove a fridge magnet from my son's throat at the age of 2yrs, I knew what to do, this should be a basic part of the app

4 stars, always room for improvement! smile

daniellewilson1987 Tue 10-Dec-13 19:20:36

1. Amazing so much I didn't no

4. Just for peace of mind, having the knowledge would be alot nicer then just panicking when a situation came up. Love the fact that you can test yourself.

5. Everything seems to be covered

6. Didn't see this section need to have a proper look.

7. Not yet I wouldn't no unless I came across a first aid situation.

8. Nothing that I can see it all looks very thorough.

9. 5 stars an amazing app

Tinwe Tue 10-Dec-13 18:46:59

Useful info about the emergency situations arising from major illnesses/injuries which may affect your child and how best to deal with them.

~ How easy or difficult do you find the app to use?
5 - no problems

~ How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid?
5 - I found it very easy, especially with visual demonstrations to support the text. I have learned adult first aid before though, so I already understood many of the principles. It may have been more difficult if I was new to first aid.

I have used it to refresh my knowledge and learn specific techniques related to paediatric first aid. It is easy to navigate in small sections so I could read bits when I had a minute or 2 to spare and had my phone with me. I do think I would refer to it in an emergency situation if time allowed, for reassurance that I had followed all recommendations.

It was interesting but a little harder to navigate for information and the title didn't really suggest all the content that was in there. For example, the "improvised first aid" section about alternative uses for everyday items might have been better spread across the relevant topics in the emergency section than in a list all together - it is unlikely I'd prepare a pile of items ready to improvise with when I could just prepare a first aid kit but it would be useful to be reminded of these ideas in an emergency. Also, it contained some information about treatment which might have been better in the emergency section, e.g. What to do in a crisis such as drowning.

Although it is a great idea, I wouldn't need it for my children but other relatives looking after my children might or if I was looking after someone else's child.

Yes, I feel much more confident in paediatric first aid.

No thanks. Covers all the key concerns

* Overall what star rating would you give the app?* Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent
5 stars

goingforfour Tue 10-Dec-13 18:28:27

Really useful, easy to use and informative.

I think it is reassuring to know that you have access to the information you might need in a quick easy format.

I think I would be less likely to read this although the information is excellent when you actually do look at it.

I think some people would find this useful, not sure that I will use it though.

It is good to have the information there.

Not that I can think of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now