This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread - tester review thread

(261 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Sep-12 12:43:01

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who have been trying out the new Fruit & Fibre bread from Kingsmill.

If you are a tester please add your feedback to this thread by answering the questions below, as well as any other comments you may have. Everyone who adds their feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 Debenhams voucher.

1) What was your overall impression of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked?

2) How about your DC? Did they enjoy the taste of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about the product?

3) Kingsmill says "By eating a slice of Fruit & Fibre bread, your child will start the day by having 35% of their recommended daily wholegrain" - do you think this message would make you more likely to buy the product or not? Why?

4) Now that you've tried it, do you think you would consider buying Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? If so, why? If not, why not? How about other products in the Fruit & Fibre range such as muffins and bagels, do you think you might try any of these? If so why, if not, why not?

5) Finally, if it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre to your friends/family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.

MNHQ

Nagoo Thu 27-Sep-12 19:50:59

1) What was your overall impression of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked?

I have had the warburtons fruit bread before, and compared to that I found it to be a little dry, and not so much fruit. It was not so sweet, and more bready than cakey, IYSWIM. I liked the other one better blush

2) How about your DC? Did they enjoy the taste of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about the product?

The Dc liked it. I made toast and they ate it and asked for more. I think they liked it better than plain toast.

3) Kingsmill says "By eating a slice of Fruit & Fibre bread, your child will start the day by having 35% of their recommended daily wholegrain" - do you think this message would make you more likely to buy the product or not? Why?

maybe. i would have to look into the amount of fibre it had as compared to ordinary toasty before I went out of my way to buy it. I am not really sold on the wholegrain thing as a reason toi buy food. My Dc are quite good at eating well, if I struggled to get them to eat breakfast or enough fibre then I'd be more inclined to buy it than i am.

4) Now that you've tried it, do you think you would consider buying Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? If so, why? If not, why not? How about other products in the Fruit & Fibre range such as muffins and bagels, do you think you might try any of these? If so why, if not, why not?

I didn't like it much. I found it a bit bland and not fruity enough. It night be better for me, but I like the other kind better. I might try the bagels if they were on offer. It tastes like it has less sugar than alternatives, but i'm not that hung up on sugar.

5) Finally, if it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre to your friends/family? If so, why? If not, why not?

no. It's just not that yummy.

Tasty, although I at first thought "where's the fruit?", I think I was expecting something similar to a fruit loaf. We liked the unusual fruit combinations which gave it a nice taste and smell.

Big hit with both DDs, both were happy to eat it plain untoasted.

Probably not, I am so bombarded with messages about recommended intakes that I tend to disregard them. I think most mums are aware of what food groups their kids eat too much/little of and try to correct this. Wholegrain is not something I am concerned about (certainly not above them eating fruit/veg getting their calcium/iron intakes).

Perhaps if it was on offer but otherwise probably not, we won't buy it regularly as it would probably count as a luxury and I imagine it would be priced similarly to fruit loaf - which we prefer. Actually I think a bagel version with these fruits would be nice and I would consider buying this in bagel form instead of our usual brand if priced similarly.

I certainly wouldn't put them off it, there is nothing offensive about it and it makes a change from fruit/tea bread but is not as "fruity" as some other brands.

greengirlie Thu 27-Sep-12 20:18:01

as soon as the box arrived, my husbof and I immediately shoved some in the toaster! WAS DELICIOUS in fact we ate half the loaf blush

I gave some to my DS (1yo) for supper (1 slice) and then in the morning after his weetabix - he throughly enjoyed it! He loves fruit and loves toast so is perfect. In fairness he is not a fussy eater but some stuff he will reject!

Not especially,but I would buy the item because the family enjoy it, it is a bonus that it has an added goodness but it would be more of an eleven's or snack / supper

I would def buy it again if on offer - I do enjoy F&F bread as it makes a change from regular toast plus i am a massive fan of toasted teacakes!

Def, I like to recommend or hear about new products that are worth trying.

SuzysZoo Thu 27-Sep-12 20:21:04

I have tried Warburton's fruit loaf before and expected this to be like that. However, it was much more subtle and not as sweet. I had it toasted with honey and it was delicious. I bet it would make a lovely cheese sandwich and the fruit would be great with cheese. I liked the fact that although there was fruit there were no gritty bits like you can get with some currants.

All four liked it, and said it was delicious. The older two said that they would like it in their packed lunch. The 3 year old said that he like the "mouldy bits" by which he meant the fruit!!!

Yes, it would but I would be even more inclined to buy it if it counted as any of the "5 a day" fruit and veg. I wonder why it doesn't?

Yes I would buy this again to have as a treat for me or to use in packed lunches. I like it because it is not too sweet and sugary but still seems like a treat. I might try and find some of the other items in the range, too.

Yes, but I don't tend to discuss bread much with friends and family!

Flisspaps Thu 27-Sep-12 20:22:34

It was just nice (or should that be naice)? I was rather ambivalent about it to be honest, there was nothing about it that I loved, nor was there anything I particularly disliked. I was surprised at how small the loaf was, as I'd prefer to buy something the size of a proper loaf if I was buying a fruited bread (which is what this really is). I thought the fruit content was a bit low too, I would expect considerably more fruit than was in it, and I couldn't tell that there was anything other than sultanas in it on tasting, even though I knew there were cranberries and apples in it. The ingredients list was disconcertingly long. I wasn't keen on it with just butter/spread, but it was nice with chocolate and hazelnut spread, but I think that defeats the object of a healthy product!

DD ate it, but wasn't any more excited about it than bog standard bread. DS doesn't know any better, he's only been on solids a week and will try to eat pretty much anything, including the dining room chair. The children I childmind chose normal wholemeal bread to have toasted for their snack. DH liked it!

Probably not, my DD usually has Shreddies for breakfast through choice!)

No, I'd not buy it. The loaf and slice size is too small, there's not enough fruit in it and it was a bit dry with just butter. It has put me off trying other products in the range. I might buy it if it came up on the reduced yellow sticker rack!

Probably not, for the reasons outlined above.

androbbob Thu 27-Sep-12 20:27:26

Ok but just looked like a normal loaf - could easily bypass it on the shelf. Opened it up and tried a slice raw. Was ok but lacking in fruit. Toasted a piece for breakfast and was not overly impressed. Too sweet and too many ingredients in it. Tasted a bit weird. Artificial.

Both turned their noses up and refused to try it. DS normally loves hot cross buns and the like. Froze the other loaf and will take it to parents at weekend for their view.

^3) Kingsmill says "By eating a slice of Fruit & Fibre bread, your child will start the day by having 35% of their recommended daily wholegrain" - do you think this message would make you more likely to buy the product or not? Why? *

We get enough wholegrain in other ways and this would have to be more tasty for me to buy it.

Wont be trying anything else if they taste similar.

No as did not like it. WOuld suggest people try it for themselves.

BigBugs Thu 27-Sep-12 20:40:28

) What was your overall impression of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked?

A)Good first impression really liked the idea of fruit bread and that it was designed for breakfast also liked the packaging and DC'S were quite eager to try it when they got home from school.We all thought it tasted nice.

A)Both DS ans DSS liked the taste and both said they would eat it for breakfast which is great as its usually a nightmare trying to get them to eat anything first thing in the morning.They both liked the amount of fruit in the bread and there was not anything that they did'nt like.

A) I think it would definitely make me more likely to buy the bread as its so important for the DC to eat something before they start the day and the 35% added wholemeal would also appeal over some sugary breakfast cereals.

A)I will buy the bread again because the DC really like it,and would probably give the muffins and bagels a go in the future for a bit of variety.

A)Yes, i have already told a few friends that i am testing the bread and told them my thoughts on how nice it is, thumbs up from here!!

LittleMoo6 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:45:10

I really liked it and even enjoyed it without butter or toasting. I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of fruit in it and the amount too.

sadly, despite my high hopes, my daughter refused to even try it as she said she's decided she hates raisins.

Not particularly as we normally have bread at breakfast anyway.

Because of the raisins I wouldn't buy for my daughter, but I would consider getting the bread again for myself for snacks. I prefer plain muffins and bagels so probably wouldn't buy those.

Yes, I have already mentioned it to friends as I enjoyed the taste and found it a good size too.

Mouseface Thu 27-Sep-12 20:52:31

A - Hmm, now I'm a fussy Mouse when it comes to all things bread, I love Soreen slatthered with propper butter or with strong cheddar on other available fruit/cake/bread products, so was hoping for a similar experience.

It wasn't what I expected, I expected a bread with fruit in, like Raisen Loaf, (can you even get that these days?) I thought it had a funny aftertaste but I'm full of a cold so the Olbas Oil in the room could be tainting the true taste sensation! grin

A - DD refused to try it, but DS licked it and seemed to enjoy it smile

A - Yes, if DD started to eat it especially. DS is tube fed so only licks foods, I ate it and enjoyed so would buy it for me

A - We are a Kingsmill family already and love their thick sliced 50/50 loaf. I will be adding the fruit loaf to the shopping list

A - Yep, I like it, it's a healthier choice than cake for DCs..... so great for every day lunch boxes, and it's tasty, minus the Olbas Oil grin

twinsufficient Thu 27-Sep-12 21:21:17

I liked the size of the slices, but disliked the initial smell. Seemed a bit dry to eat from the bag, but once toasted was lovely.

All 3 dcs liked it toasted. They liked the sweetness of it. They didn't have anything negative to say.

Yes it would. I feel guilty giving them white bread but this must be a healthier alternative.

Yes I would. The kids liked it and it's a healthy snack/breakfast. I think muffins and bagels would be a bit much. The slices are just enough.

Yes I would as it's been a hit in this house.

tobecalm Thu 27-Sep-12 21:32:00

Mine arrived today, looking forward to us all trying it for breakfast!

peachcake Thu 27-Sep-12 21:40:06

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who have been trying out the new Fruit & Fibre bread from Kingsmill.

If you are a tester please add your feedback to this thread by answering the questions below, as well as any other comments you may have. Everyone who adds their feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 Debenhams voucher.

Nice size loaf (plenty of slices) lovely sweet fruity bread, very filling. I particulary liked the type of fruit in the bread rather than the usual sultanas and raisins!

Yes children really enjoyed the bread, straight out the bag before I could butter or toast it!

Yes I do think this would make me more likely to buy it as it would make a good alternative and nice change from cereal!

Yes I would buy it again as it would make a good healthy snack for the children especially after school, I'm always trying to think of healthy snacks!
Yes would love to try muffins and bagels to add some variety.

Yes I would recommend it as I think it's a healthy filling and tasty breakfast/snack/supper item.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.

MNHQ

whojamaflip Thu 27-Sep-12 21:43:44

I found it smelled quite artificial and was rather dry - almost as if it was stale. Taste wise I'm afraid I really didn't like it - imo it would have been better with cinammon or nutmeg. It also tasted too sweet to me

I did like the size of the loaf and the slices would be perfect for dcs.

DD (6) refused to touch as she said it smelled wierd. Ds (5) tried it but didn't finish it. DD2 (3) liked it "raw" but refused it toasted.

Tbh we eat a good diet so it wouldn't encourage me to buy this product.

May try bagels as the dc love bagels. Not convinced I would buy the bread regularly but might use it with a cheese board or to do a summer pudding or bread and butter pudding.

I don't think I would as I didn't really like it - Sorry its not more positive.....

Thank you for letting me try the bread tho

DarkMatter Thu 27-Sep-12 21:55:31

1) It wasn't as different from existing products as I had expected. I was surprised at packaging - it didn't look as 'healthy' as I'd expected and not something I'd gravitate towards in the supermarket. I thought the initial smell from the packet was quite strange, sort of artificial fruit smell. Fruit was nice, but needs more fruit!!

2) My 2yo and 4yo walked around eating slices, when they have rejected fruit breads in the past (both artisan type fruit breads and raisin loaves).

3) No, because their current breakfast choices (wheetabix/porridge plus wholemeal toast) would probably give them more.

4) If it was full wholemeal, I would like to buy a pre-sliced product like this. As it is, I would maybe buy for a teatime snack or treat, to give DCs something different from their breakfast bread. I wouldn't buy often then as it didn't feel healthy - felt more like white bread. Anyone who thinks plain bread tastes 'boring' should buy some decent bread!!

No, I wouldn't buy bagels and I prefer to make fruit muffins at home as they are so easy.

5) Not particularly, in this category I'd recommend some of the amazing fruit and nut breads baked on the premises in Morrisons.

DillyTante Thu 27-Sep-12 22:19:17

Marking place

Firawla Thu 27-Sep-12 22:19:35

When i first read about it on hear before it even arrived I really liked the sound and idea of it, as it seems much more exciting than normal bread, I liked the look of it when it came so had a good first impression

2 out of 3 of my dc liked it, which was the younger 2 (1 yr and 2 yrs), my 4 yr old did not like it but he hates anything with raisins and this seemed a bit raisin-y so not too suprised about that. im glad my 2 year old ate it as getting variety of fruit into him is not easy, due to him only eating bananas and no other fruit.

It sounds good, tbh I think they get wholegrain in things like cereal anyway so the fruit makes me go for it more than the wholegrain, for the reason mentioned above about my 2 yr old

yes i would buy it again. i did not know they have muffins and bagels but i will have a look for it, im sure we will like it so worth a try

yes i would recommend it

beautyguru Thu 27-Sep-12 22:22:49

Overall good impression, nothing negative I can think of. I loved the taste of it (actually polished off 4 slices at first opening!blush) I preferred it plain out of the pack than I did toasted with butter on. Not sure why but when untoasted I really got the flavour of the different fruits yet once toasted they seemed less strong. However DH found the opposite! He loved it toasted but not as much untoasted.

Yes both DDs loved it..DD1 age 7 said it was "awesome!!" untoasted; then after trying it toasted said "mmmm this is well good!!" She thought it had raspberries in it..I didn't correct her and say they were cranberries as she is convinced she doesn't like cranberries so won't touch anything with them in!! DD2 age 22mnths said "nice" and polished off 2 slices easily! Normally with fruit loaves she picks the fruit out to eat then throws the plain holey bread back at megrin

It is a good selling point but as both my DDs love most multigrain cereals its not something that would MAKE me buy it. Certainly not a negative though.

Yes would definitely buy again but would alternate between that and Warburtons Raisin Loaf as we all love that too. Unless 1 of them one was on promo in which case would buy that one as we are on a fairly tight budget at the moment. Yes would also consider muffins and bagels, dependant on price as its always nice to try different things.

Yes, already have done as we all enjoyed it so muchsmile!

Thank you for choosing us to try your bread...if you would like any bagels or muffins trialling we would be only too happy to oblige!grin

pennylovesleonard Thu 27-Sep-12 22:45:34

We all really liked it! Very tasty toasted for breakfast. I liked the packaging - nice bright colours and pictures. I liked the size of the slices, fitted in the toaster nicely! Quite a small loaf - wouldn't last too long in my house! Loved it for breakfast & a quick snack after school.

Dd liked it toasted and just raw with butter. She loves fruit & toast so it was a huge success! She said she really liked the fruity bits.

Yes, I'm always looking for ways to improve our diet. Dd is very fussy so it's always great to find healthy things that she will eat!

Yes, I would definitely buy it and the other products in the range. It tasted lovely and was a quick, easy snack.

Yes, have done already. Healthy and tasty!

I like the taste and mouth-feel of the bread - I am a big fan of 'fruit loaf' in general, and like that it's higher in fibre that the one I normally buy. My dislikes were that it is slightly bland (for me), and that the smell is not that appealing.

The bread is a big hit with my dcs - the package arrived at 4pm, and have eaten the best part of a whole loaf between them as an after school snack and for their supper. My ds is a huge fan, and has already requested this become a regular item in the weekly shop. He particularly likes it toasted with butter and cinnamon.

I personally wouldn't be more likely to buy it, as my dcs already have a diet that is high in fibre, but my ds used to be a picky eater so I can see the appeal for parents who have children like that.

See Q2 for future buying. Muffins and bagels are not eaten by my dcs or dh - if a crumpet version became available, it would be snapped up!

My friends and family already know that I am 'testing' this bread and are green with envy so I will be telling them how nice it is grin

BrianButterfield Fri 28-Sep-12 07:35:07

I liked the smell as it was different to other fruit loves I have bought. The texture was good and the range of fruit in it was interesting. DH, however, took a bite and hated it, but he's not a fruit loaf lover.

DS is 1 so can't give any informed opinion but wolfed down a slice 'raw' straight away and then a toasted slice in the morning, so I will say it was a hit.

Yes, I like the fact it had wholegrain flour in it. If it was a choice between a fruit loaf with white flour and one with wholemeal, I would choose the wholemeal.

I would definitely buy it again and also look out for the other products as DS and I enjoyed it.

Yes, if they were looking for something a bit different.

goingtoofast Fri 28-Sep-12 08:38:14

The name friut and fibre initally made me think of Kelloggs cereal fruit and fibre but the packaging did not.
I toasted my first slice and found that it was too dry for my taste even with butter. I prefered it as bread either plain or buttered.
I was not overly keen on the smell as I don't like the smell of blueberries but liked the taste.

My children liked it, my son (4) had been enjoying it for breakfast everyday - I make it in to a peanut butter sandwich for him. My girls have just been eating it staright from the packet as an after school snack.

My children eat plenty of friut and veg and wholegrain cereals so I'm not really worried about their fibre intake. As such I wouldn't buy the bread due to the message.

I may buy it from time to time but don't feel it's a must have as my children are just as happy with plain bread. I would try muffins and bagels, the muffins sound especially good and I don't think I have seen fruited (english) muffins.

I probably would but would recommend not toasting it as I found it too dry that way.

Thanls for giving the opportunity to test the bread!

DoubleYew Fri 28-Sep-12 08:59:32

We have just had it toasted for breakfast and I thought it tasted nice, quite sweet so I wouldn't have it all the time. Bit concerned about the massive list of ingredients so I wouldn't see this as a healthy product necessarily.

Yes 2 yr old has eaten a whole slice which is amazing eating for him so he must haved liked it.

It would not put me off but I take these claims with a pinch of salt as everyone is claiming something different and it gets confusing.

Depends on the cost as we are skint, so I might get it or other variations if they were a good price.

Not sure how it would come up in conversation but I would probably give the pros and cons as I've mentioned above.

countingdown Fri 28-Sep-12 09:26:43

) What was your overall impression of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked?
When I first opened the bag, I thought it looked a bit dry - actually checked the best before date! Like the size of the pack. The name did make me think of breakfast cereal, to the extent that I kind of expected to bite into a bit of coconut or hazelnut! Overall, we all enjoyed it - particularly toasted with butter and jam, however this makes it less healthy than I would like my family to eat for breakfast.

My 4 year old said that it was yummy and he liked the fruit in it. It was a great size for my 2 year old.

I don't tend to really have a great belief in these kind of statements, so would not buy just on this basis. Whilst it may have plenty of wholegrain in it, it also has a whole list of other ingredients and I am no more or less likely to buy because of the message Kingsmill have opted to promote.

I would definitely eat muffins and bagels, though not because of tasting the bread. I tend to buy whatever is on offer or whatever we have not had for a while.

Absolutely, though bread isn't something I tend to chat about on a daily basis!

spoonfulofnutella Fri 28-Sep-12 10:04:39

I thought it was nice but not as fruity as I'd expected. I thought it was really nice toasted but didn't think it tasted nice enough untoasted to choose to eat it that way. In terms of the packaging I think it possibly looks a little too much like a normal bread product and someone could accidentally buy it thinking it was sandwich bread.

My DS loved it and when asked if we should buy it again (my usual test of whether he really enjoys something) he said 'Yes please!!'. He enjoyed it both toasted and toasted.

I think I would buy it as a change every now and again rather than regularly. For my DS I like that it (seems) a little healthier than some of the other fruit breads on the market and the wholegrain is definitely an appeal. Most of the bread we eat is used for sandwiches so it wouldn't be our main bread purchase.

Definitely, but as I mentioned on the previous question it would be an occasional purchase rather than every week. We really like muffins and bagels in our house and will be giving those a try as well. I think the bagel product sounds delicious.

I think I would but I would explain that it was not like other fruit bread which taste like teacakes generally. I was a little surprised at first that it was not that fruity and more of a slightly flavoured bread. It is nice though and not as sickly as some of the alternatives.

MTBMummy Fri 28-Sep-12 10:18:33

I really liked it - I found the smell reminded me of summer and I loved that the fruit was not dried fruit (nor full of orange peel)

DD enjoyed it - which is saying something as she can be more than a little fussy at times.

Very likely - while we try to provide the best balanced diet for DD, it's always nice to have a food stuff that she enjoys that helps ensure she gets what she needs

I think the consistancy lends itself to sliced bread quite nicely, almost brioche like, I'm not a fan of bagels, so that wouldn't tempt me, and I think muffins could be too dry

Definitely - it's a nice snack and very easy to prepare (best served toasted with just butter on it) I can easily see this becoming a staple in our house as I prefer it to the Warburtons version

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now