This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread - tester review thread

(261 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Sep-12 12:43:01

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who have been trying out the new Fruit & Fibre bread from Kingsmill.

If you are a tester please add your feedback to this thread by answering the questions below, as well as any other comments you may have. Everyone who adds their feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 Debenhams voucher.

1) What was your overall impression of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked?

2) How about your DC? Did they enjoy the taste of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about the product?

3) Kingsmill says "By eating a slice of Fruit & Fibre bread, your child will start the day by having 35% of their recommended daily wholegrain" - do you think this message would make you more likely to buy the product or not? Why?

4) Now that you've tried it, do you think you would consider buying Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? If so, why? If not, why not? How about other products in the Fruit & Fibre range such as muffins and bagels, do you think you might try any of these? If so why, if not, why not?

5) Finally, if it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre to your friends/family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.

MNHQ

walkingonthemoon Thu 27-Sep-12 14:46:02

1) What was your overall impression of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked?
I liked it but found it really dry so had to put lots of butter on it compared to our usual hot cross buns. This aspect is not good as I am currently trying to lose weight! Like the size of it though and the convenience of it fitting well in our toaster.
2) How about your DC? Did they enjoy the taste of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about the product?
Both of my children ate it, but said they preferred hot cross buns. DD (8 years old) said it didn't taste of much. Overall, not overly impressed.

3) Kingsmill says "By eating a slice of Fruit & Fibre bread, your child will start the day by having 35% of their recommended daily wholegrain" - do you think this message would make you more likely to buy the product or not? Why?
No, not really. As we have a lot of wholegrain, fruit and veg in our diet anyway. I'd buy on taste and price firstly.

4) Now that you've tried it, do you think you would consider buying Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? If so, why? If not, why not? How about other products in the Fruit & Fibre range such as muffins and bagels, do you think you might try any of these? If so why, if not, why not?
Probably not, would get hot cross buns as my kids like them. Yes, I may buy the other products, but tend to get supermarkets own brand of these things as they tnd to be cheaper.
5) Finally, if it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre to your friends/family? If so, why? If not, why not?
Wouldn't be singing and dancing about it but I may do, for the toasting ease qualities.

welliesandpyjamas Thu 27-Sep-12 14:53:39

It was enjoyed by all for breakfast this morning but the pack was too small.

Yes, the dc liked it and even ate the crusts! They liked the fact it had raisins in and was a bit sweet.

It probably would as long as the price was comparable to eating cereal. They eat bran flakes etc happily and I expect that is a better way of getting their daily wholegrain.

I would deginitely consider it as long as the price was right. I am not a Kingsmill fan usually as I find the normal sliced bread tastless but this product has restored my faith a little. I might therefore try other products in their range.

Yes, I would, because everyone here enjoyed it. Now that I've tried it, I can see it's nothing that new or innovative (reminds me fruit bread) but as far as taste is concerned, I'd be happy to recommend it.

cheryl59 Thu 27-Sep-12 15:24:07

The packaging looks too similar to normal bread so I'd walk straight past it in the supermarket. It's a good alternative to normal bread for toasting, great for breakfast or an after-school snack.

2) How about your DC? Did they enjoy the taste of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about the product? They loved it and thought it tasted of hot cross buns (which I don't think it does !) They thought it was great to have extra flavour, because bread can be a bit boring otherwise (so they said).

3) Kingsmill says "By eating a slice of Fruit & Fibre bread, your child will start the day by having 35% of their recommended daily wholegrain" - do you think this message would make you more likely to buy the product or not? Why? Yes, but in addition to, not as a replacement for, what we usually buy

4) Now that you've tried it, do you think you would consider buying Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? If so, why? If not, why not? How about other products in the Fruit & Fibre range such as muffins and bagels, do you think you might try any of these? If so why, if not, why not? Yes, I'd buy it instead of malt loaf or tea cakes for example rather than bread though

Yes, it's a nice product and the kids loved it - would depend on the price though

fuzzpig Thu 27-Sep-12 15:44:59

Am I the only one who hasn't received the bread yet? Bit worried it'll be out of date by the time it arrives sad

<hungry>

redgate Thu 27-Sep-12 16:09:16

Overall impression is that it is ok, nice enough but kind of 'neither one thing or the other' too nice for every day bread, but would probably still go for a tea cake if I wanted a sweet fruity bread.

Fits perfectly in toaster which is brilliant, and pieces are an ideal size for kids to have as a snack (stops me toasting teacake and eating other half!)

Packaging is very similar to 'normal' bread, could be a bit confusing.

Tastes nice toasted, don't like the aftertaste when eaten 'uncooked'

My 11 year old who loves fruit thought it was 'delicious' she particularly liked the smell and the range of colours/different fruits. 6 year old, who can be a bit 'fussy' refused to try it sad

Not really, we would go for a cereal for breakfast to get the wholegrain instead.

Would possibly buy it, for myself and older child - if on special offer but not regularly. Muffins and Bagels sound like a good idea, they are a bit more different to bread so may be better.

Would def recommend it to an adult who was looking for a slightly healthier alternative to tea cakes, or someone who hated cereal and needed to increase wholgrain in their diet, but wouldn't suggest my friends with kids make a point of buying it. Though it is nice enough for me as a snack.

Liked it a lot - wasn't expecting such a small loaf but actually it's perfect for DD who is only 2, great kiddie-sized portions. DH and I just had to have 4 slices instead of 2 each! A little alarmed by the lengthy list of ingredients and I do wonder how healthy it really is?

2) How about your DC? Did they enjoy the taste of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or
disliked about the product?

DD is not usually a big fan of bread but did eat this fresh and especially loved the fruit - would have liked some more fruit though. She especially loved it as eggy bread!

Yes though I would wonder if the sugar content might outweigh the fibre benefits?

Yes I def would consider it as we all enjoyed it as a family - both for breakfast and for supper and as a little treat - snack during the day.

Yes I would - hadn't come across it before and generally a big thumbs up from us. Thank you!

Tee2072 Thu 27-Sep-12 16:22:09

Okay, had some for snack!

I think it smells a bit odd, not bad, just odd. Other than that, good sized loaf, fits in toaster, nice packaging

I'm afraid he's refusing to try it. He's polite about it, peers at it with interest and then says 'No Sank You.' If he changes his mind in the next few days I'll give an update.

I doubt I would give it to him for breakfast regardless, if he'd try it. It's more the sort of thing I am looking for to bring on the school run. But yes, that is a message that would encourage me to buy it. I like wholegrain.

Yes I would. My husband and I both like it, even if our son won't try it. Maybe muffins, I don't like fruity bagels.

Yes. Because it tastes nice and is reasonably good for you.

TerracottaPie Thu 27-Sep-12 16:22:27

fuzzpig mine came today by Royal Mail. They have a use by date of the 29th so you've probably got a valid concern there. I thought 2 days before they're stale was bad enough!

HecateHarshPants Thu 27-Sep-12 16:26:12

Liked it a lot.

gave it to their friend who loved it! My eldest son thought the bits were mould! grin

No. It doesn't feel like staple food to me. Feels like something I'd cover in butter and scoff as a treat probably half a loaf

Oh yes! I'll be buying it, I loved it! I will also be keeping an eye out for the muffins and bagels.

yes. In fact, I already have! told my mum about it and promised her a slice!

my other comments from the original thread -

Got mine this morning. Two loaves.

Because I am such a dedicated tester grin I immediately ate some.

I had one slice 'raw' and one toasted. It toasted really well and tasted a bit bagel-like. You couldn't eat it without something on it, the slice I had straight from the packet was hard to get down.

It's nice. It's more bready (I know that's not a word!) than other fruity loaves, which can be quite heavy. It's still heavier/moister than normal bread though (understandably! grin )

It didn't have quite enough fruit in it for me. I would have liked to have seen a bit more. And maybe some seeds.

but all in all, it's really lovely! I shall try some for a ham sandwich and see what happens! [living dangerously emoticon]

fuzzpig Thu 27-Sep-12 16:26:59

Thanks TP. It does seem remarkably short dated for bread although maybe they'd shipped to MNHQ a few days earlier so it's not actually short dated IYSWIM? We haven't actually seen a postie for a few days, no idea why as we aren't affected by flooding here.

I want my bread <stamps>

CoffeeGoneColdAgain Thu 27-Sep-12 16:28:53

* Cute little loaf, nice packaging,Like the idea of the smaller slices, however with a large family maybe a bigger loaf with same sized slices could be an idea.

*Ds(12) loved it, had 2 slices on coming in from school, and another 2 toasted for supper, DD - not a chance, she wont eat normal bread so really thought this test would engage her but sadly not.

*Yes, we do try to buy more wholegrain cereals now than we ever have.
It is important to have a balanced diet, and more so with a child that is slightly overweight.

*Most definately, I put one loaf in the freezer as i didn't think it would go down to well with the dc, DS has already put it on my shopping list for tomorrow, and his reply to this question is Bagels please smile

*Yes more than likely, its a great product that will be very popular.

Thanks Kingsmill and Mumsnet for allowing the coldcoffee family to try this smile

scrappydappydoo Thu 27-Sep-12 16:32:51

I liked the size. The bread was tasty although I would have like to have seen more fruit in it - was expecting more tea cake like than bread. Having said that I liked the variety of fruit in it.

My dds like it and it was a perfect after school snack and the size made it good to have toasted as part of breakfast.

No - they have balanced diet as this would be treat I would buy it whether or not it had wholegrain in it or not.

It would depend on the price - if it was reasonable then yes. I would be interested in muffins and bagels if they had more fruit in it.

I would say they could try it but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.

Thanks for the opportunity!

WhatWouldGrandmaDo Thu 27-Sep-12 16:45:35

I was really interested to see what it would be like - it looked fairly appetising but I wasn't that keen once I'd tried it. Felt it was neither one thing nor the other - I think I'd envisaged something cakier like a brioche but this was just like slightly oversweet bread. Not unpleasant but not great. I think it's nicer untoasted than toasted.

Disappointingly they weren't at all keen either sad DS1 isn't keen on raisins but I thought we'd convince him to eat this but no. He prefers plain toast. DS2 is the picky one but loves raisins (but not bread...) and he refused to even try it but I think this was because DS1 was making faces.. may try him again. I think both of them would prefer a slice of buttered toast and some fruit.

No not really - I think my 2 eat a pretty healthy balanced diet anyway and I'm not a great one for daily percentages, prefer to look at how their diet balances out over a week or how it affects their day to day health (which is excellent!)

No I don't think so - as I said it's neither one thing or another. I might consider muffins for a change, I think the texture would be better suited to the fruity bits.

I think I'd recommend they tried it as I think it's something a lot of children would love... so long as they like dried fruit & bread!

foolingwithmisskitty Thu 27-Sep-12 16:59:43

I liked the taste of the fruit. I was a bit disappointed how sparse it was though - would have liked more fruit in it. Also, the bread was not very moist when eaten straight from packet but it tasted much better toasted with butter on.

They did not like it untoasted but 3 children all loved it toasted with butter.

Yes probably - good that there is some fibre in it but they still consider it a treat.

Yes I would buy it again but as said before it could be improved by having more fruit in.

Yes I would because the children all enjoyed it and me and my husband liked it too. Nice as breakfast, a snack with a cuppa or a tea time snack for the kids after nursery.

jepa Thu 27-Sep-12 17:13:57

I thought it smelt very artificial, although I checked the ingredients and it's all natural so that was a bit off-putting.

However my opinion is pretty irrelevant as both DD and DS absolutely loved it especially toasted.

I struggle with getting DD to eat enough fibre so this is good news for me. Also this gives us more choice for breakfast rather than just cereal.

I would definitely buy again, I can imagine the DCs putting in the trolley. I didn't know there were more products in the range but yes would try them.

TBH I can't imagine a conversation with my friend about bread.grin However I would tell them about being chosen to do this product test so yes from that point would definitely recommend as the DCs loved it so much.

OK, well I will probably have to come back and answer this again when I have persuaded the DC to try it (I know, I know, but my DC are SO not morning people, so new stuff at breakfast is a hard sell, and neither has been home for tea this week....)

The smell is not nice. At all. It smells over sweet and reminded me of American scented candle shops or revoltingly oversweet blueberry muffins.

Once toasted, the smell seems to go, and it was pleasant, but not startlingly good.

See above. They haven't tried it yet, but I am anticipating problems. I think it might the the apple, TBH. We have the same issue with bagels - New York cinnamon and raisin bagels are a "yes", the equivalent Waitrose own brand ones have apple in and are met with "bleugh". I shall report back though...

No. I think my DC get a good balanced diet and their fibre comes from vegetables.

If the DC like it, maybe. Since I am not that bothered about the "& Fibre" bit, it (and anything else in the range) would have to sell themselves on flavour and price - and I am not overwhelmed by the flavour. However, I will buy pretty much anything that the DC and I can agree on as a vaguely suitable breakfast (I draw the line at DD's preferred choice of garlic sausage and parmesan, if only for the sake of her poor teacher who would have to suffer her breath), so if they give it the thumbs up then I will buy it.

I wouldn't un-recommend it, IYSWIM - but I don't think I would rush to bring the subject up...

Sorry not to be more positive!

I liked the size of the loaf and that the slices were a good size for the toaster. I could really have done with more fruit in the loaf. It was tasty - but fruitier would be tastier in my opinion! Also, it is much better toasted than 'raw'.

My 1yo loved it toasted with butter (he's a big bread fan in general). But it's more an afternoon snack for him rather than a breakfast choice.

I actually think that it might put me off from buying it. I thought of it as a 'grown-up' product rather than one specifically aimed at kids.

I might buy it if the price was right. I liked it as an afternoon snack. I don't think I'd pay much more than a pound for a loaf though. It's not quite as nice/fruity as the Starbucks fruit bread slices, but it makes a good substitute. I'm not sure it'd be nice in muffin form, but 'breadier' products such as bagels might work. I'd probably still buy the loaf over the bagels as the slices would serve more people than bagels would.

I might recommend it to my MIL since she likes the starbucks fruit bread too and so her tastes would be fairly similar to mine.

modernbear Thu 27-Sep-12 17:54:54

Everyone seemed to like it. Liked the size of the loaf. It was good for toasting.

DC will devour most fruit loaves toasted or untoasted. The slices that I gave for a snack were wolfed up. No dislikes. Probably would have liked more fruit in it though.

I believe DC has enough wholegrain in diet. We normally have seeded/brown/wholemeal bread for lunch/tea/snacks. So I would not be worried about this aspect.

I would probably try any other products in the range such as muffins and bagels when they came out. However, I would treat such products (including the fruit loaf) as a snack/treat. I would not use it for breakfast on a normal basis.

I would recommend the loaf to friends/family but I would suggest it is more of a treat/snack than anything else. Yummy but not as much substance to it as I would have liked.

rufus5 Thu 27-Sep-12 17:55:59

1. I was quite looking forward to tasting this as I'm a big fan of fruit loaf, but was slightly disappointed - it's lovely toasted, but I would not eat it cold. I think if it had more fruit it would be better, but then it does take it from the 'bread' range more into a tea cake product.
2. DS loved it, but I only gave it to him toasted in place of his regular toast. However he's not fussy and I think he'd eat it cold more readily than I would.
3. Not really as we only eat brown bread already. I suspect this is a good selling point for families who tend to eat more white bread.
4. Depending on price I might get these as an occasional treat. However I'd be more likely to buy them if they were on offer as I wasn't totally blown away by this product.
5. If they were looking for alternatives for breakfast, or trying to entice their kids to eat more wholegrain then I would.

Emandlu Thu 27-Sep-12 18:12:46

I liked the size of the loaf as it was easy to toast. My dh thought that the fruit tasted too sweet and didn't like the apple in it.

One of my children loved it and ate nearly an entire loaf. The other one said she thought it was to sweet.

I don't think so as my children eat a healthy balanced diet.

Probably not. Out of the whole family, only one of my children really liked it.

Again, probably not as I didn't think it was particularly great.

Rkep Thu 27-Sep-12 19:13:53

The packaging looked nice, the idea of fruit and bread sounded nice (like jam and bread).

My one year old loves toast and finished this off with just as much haste as usual - he loved it.

Yes sounds great! 2 slices and we'd nearly be there!

I would buy it especially if I knew the fibre was helping as well as the fruit.

Yes I would mention it as the fruit in the bread means I don't have to add jam so saves in calories.

I really enjoyed it, as did my ds (4). I liked the flavour and it was a winner as was not spiced etc as I dont like flavours such as cinnamon.
There is nothing I or ds disliked

Dd <2 on monday> did not seem fussed about the bread.But ds (4) loves it, he has took it to school in his lunch box, came home today and got some out as soon as he got in the door, ate 3 slices and still wanted more.

It would not get me to buy the product, we go on taste and whether the dc like it, as they do I think it will be a firm favourite on the weekly shop list.

Yes we will definately keep on buying it, and I will be getting my dc to try thr bagels and muffins too.

I will recommend it to my friends and family.

Rkep Thu 27-Sep-12 19:20:46

Oh and my husband said it would be more attractive as wholemeal bread.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 27-Sep-12 19:44:06

1) What was your overall impression of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked? I liked the look of the packaging, and the size is good. A normal sized loaf would be too big I think. The taste is a little disappointing for me but our ds's like it. I was expecting something more similar to a hot cross bun so the absence of any spice was a let down.

2) How about your DC? Did they enjoy the taste of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about the product?. Both ds's have enjoyed it toasted with butter on, and they both agree (and I do too) that it's not as nice (rather dry) when it's not toasted. Ds2 eat the crusts without comment (a minor miracle!). They both enjoyed the bursts of fruitiness that comes with each bite.

3) Kingsmill says "By eating a slice of Fruit & Fibre bread, your child will start the day by having 35% of their recommended daily wholegrain" - do you think this message would make you more likely to buy the product or not? Why? we do ok with whole grain in our diets, but none of the dc's snacks are great in this area so it does appeal to me in this respect and makes me more likely to consider buying it in the future (final decision would be based on price).

4) Now that you've tried it, do you think you would consider buying Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? If so, why? If not, why not? How about other products in the Fruit & Fibre range such as muffins and bagels, do you think you might try any of these? If so why, if not, why not?. I would consider buying it if the price was right. We don't have muffins or bagels, but I'd have a close look at the, and see how they compare nutritionally to other similar products.

5) Finally, if it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre to your friends/family?. Yes, I would. It's a good alternative to less healthy snacks.

quazi Thu 27-Sep-12 19:49:16

Good. Not too fluffy nor heavy with a good amount of fruit in each slice. Cheerful packaging. Good size for toasting.

23mo DS enjoyed his, whereas he's not keen on toasted teacakes. Picky 4.5 yo DD wouldn't try it unfortunately. Good size for kids.

It would contribute to me buying it, but DD is adamant she won't try it.

Dependent on price, but yes would buy, as well as possibly other products if I noticed them in the supermarket.

Yes I would recommend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now