Omg such anality from pil. Come and share your anal behaviour stories (lighthearted)

(842 Posts)
ledkr Sat 05-Jan-13 11:04:30

We are with pil at present and they are very sweet but so bloody uptight about everything.
Bil has been away for a week so he left car with pil so that it "wasn't left in the street" it has a steering lock on and fil takes it for a drive each day! The car is an old banger worth about two hundred quid.
Kids can't even eat a banana without a table cloth,mat and plate hmm
Leaving the house to walk to shops is a major ordeal. Costs hats gloves change of shoes everything switched off at the wall last minute run upstairs for wallets. I could have been there and back.
So I'm asking you to entertain me with similar stories to help me through the day.

I have to confess to mug-fussiness. I hide the ones I don't like - and what makes that truly mad is that sometimes I buy these mugs for the dses or dh, and then hide them because I don't like them. And I have a special mug that I have to have my first coffee of the day in.

Until recently, it was a lovely Burleigh dark blue calico pint mug - I loved the pattern, so enjoyed using it, and it was big enough to hold enough caffeine to get me started on the day. Sadly the handle has cracked, so I have had to stop using it - which caused no small amount of trauma, I can tell you. None of the other mugs in the house were right, and I couldn't afford to buy a new Burleigh mug, so I had to have my morning coffee out of substandard muggage.

I have now found an acceptable replacement (though I will be saving up for a Burleigh mug, as that is the one I really need want). It is a white pint mug from tesco, with My Big Mug, in fancy coloured lettering on it. And it was under £4. So I am coping, at the moment. grinblush

Ameybee Mon 14-Jan-13 08:44:04

My FIL thinks his printer isn't good enough to print boarding passes (seems completely adequate to me) so they come to our house to print them Everytime they go away! X

whatphididnext Thu 17-Jan-13 08:44:36

Ameybee, my DM is exactly the same regarding her boarding pass. My printer is also more capable than hers of printing the itinerary. confused

whatphididnext Thu 17-Jan-13 08:45:33

Oh, I should have said, she prints the itinerary on her own printer, as 'back-up'. That's the annoying bit.

I win! grin I win the out of date food contest! <waves pom-poms>

A bottle of Crosse & Blackwell's Gravy Browning was unearthed from the recesses of Aged Mama's pantry this afternoon, with an expiry date of.......<drumroll>

1985!!!! shock

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Thu 17-Jan-13 18:20:05

1985! S0me not me Mumsnetters weren't even born then!

captainmummy Thu 17-Jan-13 21:39:01

Lapsed - when I went through my exhs pantry (when he was still my fiance) i found a tin of golden syrup which didn't have an expiry date - that's how old it was. It was bulging ominously, and so he took it outside and prised the lid off (standing well back and wielding a screwdriver at arms length) - the lid shot off and went as high as the roof! The 'golden syrup' was black. God knows the mess it would have made if it'd exploded in the pantry.

Melawen Sat 26-Jan-13 12:40:48

SDT - I had to go and look up Burleigh mugs - gosh they ARE expensive but do look nice.

I've been racking my brains for for things my own family do and I think that the only thing that comes to me is that DF needs to save any and all left over foods and expiry dates mean nothing - I despair and question him very closely with regards expiry dates!

Gymbob Sat 26-Jan-13 21:43:47

This thread is hilarious, I've been reading it for weeks. I am guilty as hell of loads of the anal stuff on here.

Why wouldn't you warm your plates in the microwave first - surely you don't put hot food on cold plates???? That's just weird.

DH has to drink his tea out of the same cup every day (china - because it tastes SO much better?!). Has cereal out of the same bowl (woe betide anyone who has taken his bowl). Uses the same spoon for cereal (woe betide.....). Leaving milk out of the fridge for a couple of minutes while making porridge will result in it having to go in the freezer to resume it's proper temperature. Counting lights on in the house so he can recite to us - 17 - (lights in the kitchen) as he pays the bills. Recycling has to be squashed as flat as can be with a sledge hammer, my attempts are rarely adequate.

Heartstrumpsdiamonds - your analagy of hubby is hilarious smile

ISeeSmallPeople Sat 26-Jan-13 21:59:06

He also had a box of bits of used string, all neatly tied.

When an elderly aunt died, we found a box labelled 'pieces of string too small to be useful'

RubyGates Sun 27-Jan-13 19:40:33

I believe I may have already hit the slippery slope:

I save butter wrappers in a tupperware box in the fridge to grease cake/pie tins/
I heat plates by cooking the vegetables on them in the microwave (two plates on the bottom, one as a cover on the top)
I shop in Waitrose on a Sunday just before closing so I can load the freezer with tast reduced produce.
But I am hopelessly disorganised and annoy my older relatives by not knowing what I'm doing in six months time.
Nor will I be dragged into the endless "do you remember what a bargain this carpet was when we bought it 25 years ago?" conversation.
The internet really, really annoys them as it is possible to locate the best value item within half an hour unaided, rather than employing the whole family on a two week expedition to find the cheapest price for something. I think they all believe the internet was invented simply to spite them. hmm

Anna1976 Tue 05-Feb-13 05:04:38

My parents do a lot of this. Does anyone actually have parents who don't do some of this stuff?

My ex-parents-in-law keep amazing me because they don't do any of it, and nor are they studious bohemians with self-destructive eating/self-care habits.

At an age where many lead lives filled with pointless palaver, get obsessive and a bit doddery, exFIL is too busy kicking politicians' heads and sorting out the country's transport system; ex MIL is too busy diagnosing dangerous criminals and running group therapy sessions for young mothers with PND. They eat out a lot, get parties catered, and dinner at home to them is 9pm pop to the local for smoked salmon and champers, before the 10pm cinema showing round the corner.

But then again, they're ex-PIL because they decided I was a waste of space because my career wasn't going well enough. grinhmmsad

MrsPennyapple Thu 07-Feb-13 16:15:49

Ooh, I just thought of one! MIL alwasy sends text messages twice, because she's never sure if it has sent the first time.

The irony is, she thought they were charged by the character, so she uses "txt-spk" to keep the cost down. I have gently explained, but I'm not sure it has sunk in.

spicandspan Thu 07-Feb-13 16:45:48

Whenever there is a family outing involving more than one car, my mil and 2 lovely sils spend the whole time phoning each other between the cars, creating pointless needless drama. Eg
"it looks like we might be 10 mins later than we thought, so maybe we should eat the picnic straight away. Ok. Will you tell sil1 or shall I? Ok, see you soon!"
"hi sil 1, I've just called sil 2 and we decided to eat lunch as soon as we arrived...."

Etc. one time on a 30 min trip to the nearest national trust place I received 5 phone calls - one from sil1, and 2 each from sil2 and mil. My dh was driving and cracking up!

Tigresswoods Thu 07-Feb-13 16:55:06

Oh dear I know my DDad is getting on a bit because they stay with us before they go on holiday. We're only 45 minutes from Gatwick as opposed to their 3-4 hours.

So their flight is at 1pm.

"We'll leave at 9am" he tells me, "To get to the car park by 10am which means we should be in the terminal by 11am to check in and therefore make our 1pm flight"

Whatever works for you Dad.

At 8:30am he was almost sitting on his hands to stop himself leaving early. I explained leaving now would mean sitting on the M25 for longer, this did not deter him. He loaded the car, you know one case each and a hand luggage bag each. That killed 2 minutes.

They eventually left at 8:50 unable to contain themselves any longer!

Surely they arrived sooooo early. Meh.

KnitFastDieWarm Mon 25-Feb-13 11:35:28

I'm always astonished at the generational difference between my partner's baby boomer parents (born in the mid 40s) and my own parents (born in the late 50s). My parents essentially live like fifty something students in a state of lassaiz fare chaos. My PIL, on the other hand...

fil enjoys lists - what to cook for the week, how to get to the holiday house, where the cheapest petrol is. Google is consulted quite freely, but everything must be printed out. It's the law ;-p

Mil is going slightly deaf and refuses to admit it - so the telly is always at ear-sitting volume - while she then talks over it

Mil has recently joined Facebook and likes to read it out to us over breakfast...'ooh, Nigel's granddaughter got into that ballet class!'
(who the heck is Nigel???)

Bless them. They are lovely.

miemohrs Thu 25-Apr-13 19:18:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DM irons DSF and DBs boxer shorts. "Because crinkly underwear is really awful to wear!"
She also irons the tea towels and the bedding.

Her best friend told her to get a life and now interrupts the ironing episode with wine and gets her pissed grin

Still18atheart Thu 09-May-13 23:36:19

Forget meat and two veg for sunday Lunch at my parents house. It's meat and 8 veg

They brought a caravan which they brought with the intention that they go away at at a moments notice ... it takes them a week to prepare the best part of a week to prepare the bloody thing

I'm probably doing this wrong but when I boil spuds I boil the water using this thing called a kettle beforehand. My mum puts cold water in pan wand brings to boil. We had an argument for 15 whole minutes about this very subject and there were tears on both sides and thedog thought the apocalypse was happening.

My mum likes to run 13 miles a day without fail. That means if we want to do anything that's going to take a whole day. Like a nice trip further a field we don't leave the house till gone midday. And it means that most of the presents aren't open till 6pm. Because as soon as she's ready it's off to see the family water boarding is more humane to a 6yo

Queenoftheharpies Mon 20-May-13 14:13:49

My PILs stay with us a lot and keep buying us stuff they think we need, in order to make their stay more bearable. Like one of those giant spoons for serving spaghetti, a heated tray like you get in chinese restaurants and 'the right kind' of potato peeler.

It's very sweet of them, but I just can't imagine caring enough about someone having my preferred kind of potato peeler to go and actually buy them one.

And even if they're only staying with us one night they always have to 'unpack' and MIL complains if there aren't enough drawers available in the spare room or if I have left ANYTHING lying around that might mean she can't put her (massive) vanity case down in the exact spot she wants to.

Jengnr Tue 21-May-13 08:52:03

queenoftheharpies I knew this was the thread for you.

Still18 I'm totally with your Mum on the boiling water thing. I frequently have the same argument with H smile

FiteFuaite Tue 21-May-13 09:01:56

On the boiling water/cold water for the potatoes thing,we always put potatoes in cold water,bring to the boil and then simmer for 12 minutes or so.I am Irish,so I believe that when talking potatoes,I know whereof I speak <gavel>

(We learned at school that if the veg grows below ground (pots,carrots etc)you put them in cold water,above ground (broccoli,cauli)in boiling water.)

Tigress

I'm actually with your parents I much rather be very early at airport than sitting around . That 45 min drive only takes one accident to be 2 hours < gets old fogey badge on

Meow75 Fri 07-Jun-13 22:07:18

I'm currently on sick leave from my teaching job with depression and work related stress.

This thread needs its own prescription, I tell you!!!

ephemeralfairy Tue 11-Jun-13 11:42:04

Oh these are brilliant! My mum is irritatingly normal, in fact pretty slapdash in her approach to cooking, housework etc.
It's me who is the anal one......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now