Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Photos of dd made public - no consent given and im FUMING!!

(176 Posts)
somethinghastogive Mon 29-Apr-13 22:15:37

Hi.
Can anyone advise of what legal action i can take, if any?
DH was best man at a wedding of his best friend from school days. Bride to be and i dont get along. Myselfand dd still went as dh wanted us there. The photos have been made public without us knowing content. Just looked at them and during the wedding bride has taken our daughter off and had photos taken with her. Our daughter is 3. I am soooo angry. Can i do anything about this? Both my dh and i gave NO permission for pic's to be taken of our dd and she at no point asked our permission.
Thankyou in advance.

somethinghastogive Mon 29-Apr-13 22:17:32

Apologies for rubbish grammer etc! I am angry and rubbish at grammer wink

cece Mon 29-Apr-13 22:17:49

How did you not miss your DD if she was taken off for photos to be taken?

HootShoot Mon 29-Apr-13 22:18:26

Surely if you go to a wedding you have to expect that your photo will be taken and published on line?

Have you asked them to take the photos of your dd down?

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 29-Apr-13 22:18:47

All you can do is to nicely ask that the photos are not made public giving your reasons (if you have an actual reason)

Otherwise if you don't want pictures of your dd anywhere cover her with a veil in public.

recall Mon 29-Apr-13 22:20:20

Sorry, I don't know the answer. I understand your anger, my DD was 2, and was filmed playing on the beach in her costume and it was used on the local news. Apparently this was perfectly legal, even though no one asked my permission confused

reddaisy Mon 29-Apr-13 22:20:48

You don't need to give consent for a pic of your child to be in the public domain. You could ask your DP to ask his friend for it to be removed from whereever it is though and then move on.

IDoTakeTwo Mon 29-Apr-13 22:21:11

Is there an important reason for your daughters image to be kept private? Is she adopted or are the custody or previous abuse issues?

If so, did you make plans in advance to avoid this scenario?

Otherwise photos at weddings are pretty standard non?

Does the bride push your buttons?

Copyright remains with the photographer, and legally he or she can do what s/he wants (for non-commercial use)

Gingerodgers Mon 29-Apr-13 22:21:44

Fek, you sound nice.

seeker Mon 29-Apr-13 22:22:25

Why on earth is this an issue?

Bowlersarm Mon 29-Apr-13 22:22:58

I don't understand why you are so angry. I would have thought that all the guests have their photo taken at a wedding. Especially children, as it is a family occasion, and especially the children of the Best Man who is part of the wedding party. Where are the photo's displayed?

somethinghastogive Mon 29-Apr-13 22:23:02

I want to also add - sorry but i am so upset right now. But, we do not allow pic's of dd of facebook or anything. We have always made that clear to dh old school friend and his new wife. For her to do this is so wrong. Sh knows we dont allow this. Yet has posted this pic on public social networking sites without consent.

JaquelineHyde Mon 29-Apr-13 22:23:23

Why are you bothered by this?

Photos are taken at weddings, you didn't have to go.

Is this more to do with you not getting on with the bride rather than you being upset about DD's photo being taken?

Have you asked them to take it down?

And how did you not miss a 3 year old?

sooperdooper Mon 29-Apr-13 22:23:52

Didn't you notice she was missing for a while when the pics were taken?

Surely most weddings involve guests having their photo taken, is there a particular reason you don't want her photo online? I think you could ask for the photos to be taken down, and see what they say?

TheSecondComing Mon 29-Apr-13 22:24:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 29-Apr-13 22:25:04

Which she is perfectly entitled to do.

If those are your rules and you are entitled to your own family rules - then you need to keep your dd away from social occasions.

usualsuspect Mon 29-Apr-13 22:26:53

I don't think you would care if you liked the bride.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 29-Apr-13 22:27:07

I can understand a bit of shock at seeing pictures of your very young child published that you didn't know about. Is your concern about child protection type issues?

My personal take on this is that so long as the childs name isn't associated with published images the risk, without any other surrounding issues, is very small.

seeker Mon 29-Apr-13 22:27:11

Unless there is back story you are overreacting hugely!

But have you asked them to take those particular picture down?

JaquelineHyde Mon 29-Apr-13 22:27:17

Who took the photos?

Who has posted them on facebook? Is it the bride or is it someone else who has then tagged her in the photos?

I suspect that there are probably lots of photos of your DD from the wedding floating around after all most guests take photos and then publish on line.

Surely if you dodn't want this to happen you should have either not gone or not let your DD out of your sight so you could monitor who was taking photos.

Geordieminx Mon 29-Apr-13 22:27:17

Helllooooo what's the problem???

Bowlersarm Mon 29-Apr-13 22:28:01

Hmmmm, I think you are just trying to pick a fight with the bride who you don't like. I don't see what bride has done wrong-how very dare she have photographs of her wedding guests hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now