Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Generalised Anxiety Disorder

(106 Posts)
Stripedmum Tue 16-Jul-13 11:16:04

I'm struggling. All day every day worry, worry, worry, worry. Or feeling weird and on edge.

Will this ever resolve? Please give me some hope.

Stripedmum Mon 22-Jul-13 23:36:57

What helps everyone else? Maybe we can put together a list to help others on here?

Good idea striped

Distraction helps me. Doing something I enjoy which is absorbing and hardly any space for worrying eg gardening, drawing/painting, watching some decent tv.

Talking to someone sometimes helps.

Reading and posting on these MH forums is comforting in that I understand I am not alone in this.

I've just read the first chapter of a book on Mindfulness which sounds like it could help, so will keep going with that.

Getting enough sleep.

Getting outside every day.

Almost no caffeine and trying to limit sugar intake.

My dh has a worry time slot every day but I haven't worked out quite how he does it - tho def works for him.

peachypips Tue 23-Jul-13 11:16:02

For me I can only contribute things that help when I have meds on board as without them I am a wailing loon!
If I am struggling to face a task like tidying a room, I tell myself I only have to do ten small things and then I can stop or do another five. For example, take a cup to the sink, put a pair of socks in the laundry basket etc. it really helps me look at the small picture rather than the large. Also works with things like gardening- just pull up ten weeds then you can stop or carry on.
Also getting out and having a plan for the day is great for me esp with two young DSs.
lady I know how you feel. I was terrible in pregnancy and was hospitalised with severe anxiety. I ended up taking a lot of drugs whilst pregnant sadly. Thank God though DS2 is completely fine. Poor you- my heart goes out to you.

peachypips Tue 23-Jul-13 11:16:38

Prescription drugs I mean!!

Stripedmum Tue 23-Jul-13 12:11:29

grin at prescription drugs! We didn't think you'd be shooting up Peachy though sometimes I'm bloody tempted!

How are you today?

peachypips Tue 23-Jul-13 21:35:47

Ha ha!! Yes a lot better thanks- meds taking effect. Managed to do more than crosswords and mumsnet today! How are you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now