Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Never felt so alone

(45 Posts)
SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Wed 10-Apr-13 23:20:54

Bear with me - currently in tears

Have depression - have lost friends and OH. Feel like no one cares or wants to know me any more as I'm mentally ill

fiverabbits Wed 10-Apr-13 23:27:48

Talk to me I am listening and wishing you well.

Isabeller Wed 10-Apr-13 23:28:36

I'm here too

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Wed 10-Apr-13 23:30:17

Thanks it means a lot

I really feel like giving up

Unfortunatelyanxious Wed 10-Apr-13 23:31:26

I'm going to bed soon so please don't think I'm leaving the thread for any other reason. I have been awake since four this morning. I have depression and have lost friends over the years, they liked me when I was well.

I'm sorry you feel so low, the depression is hard but losing people feels so unfair.

Catmint Wed 10-Apr-13 23:33:56

Save, I am so sorry you feel alone. Depression is very lonely and the symptoms and behaviours associated with it can just worsen the situation.

But you are not your illness. You are a likeable person and I feel sure that you can get through this difficult time.

If you aren't getting professional, medical help please do.

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Wed 10-Apr-13 23:34:18

I'm finding coping from depression hard enough but then you lose friends and it get harder

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Wed 10-Apr-13 23:36:03

Been to the docs who referred me to some agency who works with people to get a social life back - really not the help I need

Catmint Wed 10-Apr-13 23:36:30

I have bouts of depression every few years. I have lost friends. But in a funny way I have come to be better friends with myself. I have made friends as well because depression has changed my perspective, although obv that is hard to do when you are in the middle of it.

Catmint Wed 10-Apr-13 23:38:47

Is that all the docs did? Sounds a bit odd...what about cut, counselling, drugs?

Unfortunatelyanxious Wed 10-Apr-13 23:39:04

A couple of months ago my best mate of ten years dumped me. You will get through it, the pain lessens though it is so upsetting.

Can you distract yourself with anything? When I was waiting for counselling I rang Samaritans a couple of times, it really helped. Do you think you could speak to them?

Catmint Wed 10-Apr-13 23:39:10

C b t not cut

Catmint Wed 10-Apr-13 23:40:09

YY Samaritans.

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Wed 10-Apr-13 23:40:49

Docs said that it doesn't need counselling yet although been back every week practically begging. Now got to the point of I can't help myself if no one will help me

Unfortunatelyanxious Wed 10-Apr-13 23:41:48

When did you see your GP? could you tell them how you were feeling? It is very hard to speak in the short time of an appointment. I think you need to go back and possibly see someone else you feel more able to speak to.

Isabeller Wed 10-Apr-13 23:43:13

I have lost friends through MH/depression and also feel embarrassed to see some people because of how I was when really unwell.

You are not alone.

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Wed 10-Apr-13 23:43:25

Have seen the GP I always see ( only one ill talk to). Ended up crying for 15mins whilst talking

Catmint Wed 10-Apr-13 23:48:08

It makes me so angry when I hear of people experiencing gp not listening about depression. Perhaps the weird social life referral was as a stop gap because of waiting times for counselling, though.

What about anti d's?

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Wed 10-Apr-13 23:50:06

No anti d's just the social life people even they couldn't work out why I was referred

Unfortunatelyanxious Wed 10-Apr-13 23:52:54

You obviously need further help.
Is there any kind of mental health charity in the area you live in? I contacted one in my area, they have been very helpful.

I was assessed at an out of hours appointment once, is there a service in your area? Obviously I'm not sure if you can manage something unknown.
They are the only things I can think of.

Sorry I'm about to drop of to sleep and it is such a rare feeling for me I need to go to bed.

Please consider Samaritans, here is their number 08457 90 90 90.

Take care.

Catmint Wed 10-Apr-13 23:58:33

Me too, I have sleep anxiety smile and need to go now. I really get quite flustered if I go later than midnight, but didn't want to post and run.

But I agree, see if you have a local mind or similar. They are ace. Also, if you can summon the energy, go back to your gp and ask for anti d's specifically.

Try keeping a diary for a few days, so you can describe how you feel eg cried for this long, could not get out on these days, missed these meals, felt I needed to harm myself at these points etc etc

You're not alone.

whodunnit Thu 11-Apr-13 00:06:43

Thinking of you but have no advice. hope these messages above have helped. Lots of other MNers have been through this, and you could really learn from their experiences although youa re feleling pretty low now.

Isabeller Thu 11-Apr-13 00:29:04

Hope you get some sleep, I must now but will come back tomorrow

Catmint Thu 11-Apr-13 10:19:47

Thinking of you today, Save. Xx

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Thu 11-Apr-13 11:24:34

Currently laid in bed crying - dont want to face the day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now