Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Hospital?

(117 Posts)
SnowyMouse Sat 26-Jan-13 18:20:57

This evening the crisis team asked me if I would be better in hospital. There is no way I want to be in hospital, how can I persuade them otherwise? (other than saying I'm fine, which doesn't work).

Or the alternative, how can I persuade myself that I would tolerate hospital...I've had a few stays in the past?

SnowyMouse Fri 01-Feb-13 17:30:45

Good point, TSTP, I'll ask smile springbanana, I'm not entirely sure how they assess risk, but unfortunately they seem to think I'm high risk from talking with me. It's odd as I can't voice much of what's going on in my head, so they don't know all that much.

springbanana Fri 01-Feb-13 17:38:07

ok, maybe you sound you are not fully in control of yourself.

SnowyMouse Fri 01-Feb-13 17:48:06

Ok... confused hmm

springbanana Fri 01-Feb-13 17:58:37

sorry, i did not want to offensive, but just one tought. Are you risk in your opinion?

NanaNina Fri 01-Feb-13 17:59:59

Hi snowymouse I think you said in an earlier post that you were hearing voices (forgive me if I've got that wrong) and you mention anti-psychotic drugs. As I'm sure you know pyschosis is being out of tough with reality, which is why people with this illness often don't realise how ill they are, or may think they are not ill at all. It is only outsiders looking in that can assess the risk. It seems to me that the CMHT think you are high risk of suicide which is why they are suggesting inpatient care.

As others have said CPNs and psychiatrists are not falling over themselves to have people admitted as resources are scarce, so I wonder if you can take on board that you are quite ill and need to be an inpatient while the drugs kick in, and to be sure of course that you are actually taking the meds.

I know psych hospital is a pain (have had 2 admissions) and it's really boring. In my experience no one asked me anything at all about my illness or bothered to offer comfort whenI was very distressed, but you don't have to think about anything and that in itself is something of a relief.

The choice is yours up to a point as you know they can section you if they are really worried about you and are refusing admission. I'm sure it would be best to go in on vol basis. Not sure about day hospital - but what would prevent you attempting suicide in the evening/night once the day hopital had closed.

Sorry if I am being too direct or confusing you.

NanaNina Fri 01-Feb-13 18:01:03

sorry "out of touch with reality not out of tough

SnowyMouse Fri 01-Feb-13 18:08:08

Hi NanaNina Thanks for that, they were saying things like, 'do you understand' a lot, so I guess they might be looking at how my thinking is, as well as asking about voices and thoughts.

I think I'll give 100% to interactions over the weekend, I can't bear the thought of hospital again, I must have had 5-6 admissions in 2 years.

I think day hospital was for distraction purposes, but today I managed to say that nights are worse, so they were focussing on distractions for then today.

NanaNina Fri 01-Feb-13 19:20:30

What do you mean snowymouse about giving 100% to interactions over the weekend? How do you think your thinking is and are you being troubled by intrusive voices.

Have you anybody in RL for support snowymouse

SnowyMouse Fri 01-Feb-13 19:39:33

I'm having intrusive thoughts and voices (both unfortunately), and I do feel depressed/low. By interactions I just meant each time the crisis team are in contact, because if they think I'm disengaging they will be less positive, I've promised to try to interact with them.

It's really hard for me to tell people how I am at the moment, I've only admitted that I'm feeling low to family and friends.

SnowyMouse Fri 01-Feb-13 20:37:10

Has anyone ever tried putting up notes to yourself, e.g. 'Don't go outside'? I've had it suggested to me by CT.

SnowyMouse Fri 01-Feb-13 20:46:06

Maybe they do think I'm having schizo-related issues, they did ask if my antipsychotic normally gets increased when I'm like this... blush

Thinking of you SnowyMouse smile

NanaNina Fri 01-Feb-13 23:29:18

I think it's important Snowymouse that youare honest with the crisis team and not just try and make out out everything is ok. Don't feel you have to tell posters how you feel if it is difficult, but you do have to tell the crisis team how you are, as best you can. You certainly sound very rational in your posts, but the intrusive thoughts and voices must be horrid for you.
Glad to hear you have real life friends ad family.

FDG hello - I know you are suffering badly at the moment too. Mental illness is a real bugger to say the least. Sending you warm wishes.

SnowyMouse Sat 02-Feb-13 14:27:55

Thanks fluffy, thinking of you too smile

I am trying hard to be honest NanaNina, else I think things might happen that I don't want. I hope you are doing ok.

SnowyMouse Sun 03-Feb-13 21:21:57

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's meeting, me, crisis team and cpn. I would like to cancel it.

Good luck for tomorrow x

TheSilveryPussycat Sun 03-Feb-13 22:42:45

I'm sure you would. And I would quite like to cancel the 2 dentist appointments I've got this week hmm but I won't.

Did you manage to get the location changed?

NanaNina Mon 04-Feb-13 00:28:52

Let us know how you get on at your meeting tomorrow snowymouse - I can imagine how difficult this is going to be for you. Sorry SPC I don't think comparing dental appointments with meetings with crisis team and CPN is comparing like with like!!

TheSilveryPussycat Mon 04-Feb-13 11:56:33

Sorry post was a bit brusque anyway. nana don't you think the level of fear might be the same though (--or am I a complete wuss--) - twas to see if I could get an implant (aargh) but unfortunately I found out today it's not viable.

snowy of course you feel apprehensive, I do hope it goes/has gone all right for you [hug]

SnowyMouse Mon 04-Feb-13 16:47:51

Thanks both, I'm still in the community thankfully, just need to work on complying with what they have suggested.

NanaNina Mon 04-Feb-13 18:38:44

What have they suggested snowymouse Do you think you will be able to carry it through........

And NO SPC I think you have suffered severe depression and in my case nothing else had ever been so scarey, before nor since. I cannot believe you can liken that to a visit to the dentist and not even for treatment!!

Sorry snowymouse I don't want this thread to be side tracked by SPC and me. I'm sure we are both very concerned for you. Very glad that you are still in the community.

SnowyMouse Mon 04-Feb-13 18:48:23

They want me to stop going out at night, and they'll ring each evening to help with that...hope I can.

TheSilveryPussycat Mon 04-Feb-13 20:01:10

I have an extraction on Weds - and today we'd have talked about drilling holes in my jaw shock <sticks tongue out at nana>

You're right though nana, I have been severely severely depressed - but I am lucky insofaras I don't get anxious, and that must make an enormous difference. (except about dentist, anasthesia, heights...)

snowy you go out at night? Is that not a good sign? I suppose it depends what you do. Sorry just musing, not being nosey...

SnowyMouse Mon 04-Feb-13 20:06:36

Mmm. I think they are slightly right that where I go isn't safe even if I'm not having suicidal thoughts, possibly.

SnowyMouse Mon 04-Feb-13 22:13:40

It is so hard to stay inside sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now