Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline and any other AD's Support Thread Part 2

(929 Posts)
PackItInNow Fri 07-Dec-12 13:48:03

Just a continuation from the original thread, which is due to finish soon. Anyone and everyone needing some kind words, and hand-holding, are more than welcome smile.

PainForLife Thu 07-Mar-13 13:13:03

hello everyone how is everyone doing? sorry have not read previous messages don't know what all of u have been up to.
I've not had a great few weeks still pretty f****d up & SH this week. dosage of meds have changed again I'm back to 300mg quetiapine & 225mg venlafaxine plus a new med Pregabalin 50mg. weight is increasing pretty steadily as I can't stop stuffing my Gob with chocolates & sweets & cakes (anything with sugar really).

seeing the psychiatrist in a few hours!

hope everyone is doing well xxx

Chiggers Fri 08-Mar-13 07:42:28

Welcome back MrsSJG. How are things with you, since you started on the Prozac?

Chiggers Fri 08-Mar-13 08:33:44

Good Morning Pain. How did the appointment with the Psychiatrist go? I hope it went well for you?

The Pregabalin is one of the meds I'm on for my back pain and boy do I want to eat everything in sight. That side effect of Pregabalin is one of the most common and I have also put on a good bit of weight due to appetite increase. Due to the weight gain, I have taken to walking to college instead of taking the bus, so I can control the weight gain, but I do try and get out for a walk every day.

Hopefully you'll have a better few months, and longer, than the last few weeks <<hugs Pain>>. My way of dealing with life is to appreciate the good things and ride the rough times out until things settle down. Life will always have it's ups and downs, but the main thing is that the downs don't last forever. It's always a good thing to take one day at a time and if you can imagine that you're in a dark tunnel with a pin point of light at the end. Obviously the light is the better, more settled, things to come. That way you know that your target is to get to the light.

Anyway, enough of my wittering. I'm away to take the kids to school, but take care and I'll be back smile

PainForLife Fri 08-Mar-13 17:35:18

Hi Chiggers <<hugs back tightly>>

appt went okaish... I came away quite upset but that was because of bringing up & talking about really horrible stuff from my childhood. today started pretty well but I've been trying to sleep all day but DD has made that impossible. she's been very loud & mischievous all day. just had a call from a concerned Aunty (close family friend). the conversation started off pretty well until she started saying she went through the same thing 20 years ago & I need to buckle up & get on with me. I'm pretty sure she went through an awful time but it definitely wasn't the same experience as me. I mean she didn't mention anything about SH or suicidal thoughts or hearing voices in her head!!! I'm sure she meant well & was trying to help bless her but for some reason I'm finding myself being really angry after that conversation plus DD is really not making it easy either. I just want to smash my head into a wall sad

oh chiggers my eating is well out of control but I've gone pass the stage of caring now. I'm concentrating getting my mind in shape before I worry about my body but o have been trying to be more conscious with food choices. I'm logging my food onto mfp well just to make sure I stay around 1200 calories regardless of what I eat. that way I've not put on dramatically loads. I just look a bit bloated now LOL

hope everyone has a good weekend if I don't check in the next few days. stay safe xxx

PainForLife Fri 08-Mar-13 17:36:20

sorry for the long moan everyone! I've just realised how much I wrote grin

Chiggers Fri 08-Mar-13 20:47:08

Ach Pain, please don't smash your head into a wall. You probably know that it's not the best course of action anyway. Moan away all you want sweetheart, I'll reiterate that this is what the thread is for. You come here for some support for whatever, be that helping to get you through your darkest moments, advice or comfort when you feel like you're not getting anywhere with your treatment.

It would probably help you just to keep an eye on your weight though, because of the health implications of putting lots of it on, due to your appetite being stimulated by the pregabalin. Saying that, in order to lose weight or even to keep it steady, you have to be in the right frame of mind, at the right time.

Am away off to bed as my AD has kicked in

PainForLife Sat 09-Mar-13 20:08:15

evening all,
not a terribly good day as have had pain all along the left side of body (so have been a bit miserable) just sitting down after having all my meds (all 8 pills) with a brew and a hot water bottle. hoping the pills will kick in over the next couple of hours so that I can take my miserable self to bed.... sigh

what's everyone else doing? fancy joining me for a brew and a well deserved biscuit ?

Chiggers Sun 10-Mar-13 09:00:59

Morning Pain <<hugs Pain tightly>>, hope you had a better night's sleep and are feeling a bit better sweetheart.

Am making some tea this morning and was just wondering if you wanted a brew.

PainForLife Sun 10-Mar-13 13:14:20

afternoon chiggers <<hugs back tightly>> thanks for the brew I'd love one smile

so apparently it's mother's day today & were suppose to get spoilt or spoil our mummy's. I'm feeling really sad as every year me n my little bro's always mads a big deal by buying our mum all her fav perfumes plus get a cake & order take away....but none of that this year. it's all because of me & my ill health. I'm feeling so guilty & hopeless. at the same time I know it's not my fault for being ill.

the day has started pretty much the same as any other day. getting up to wash up (ive been trying to keep this routine going) having breakfast then popping my 8 pills. I then go back to bed as the medication makes me very drowsy. suicidal thoughts continue, SH this week and the anger is still building up. haven't smashed my head into a wall today but with ppl's horrible attitude towards mental health and me feeling generally like crap & not wanting to be here I really sometimes feel like just stabbing myself. But before that I wanna get a pack of cigs (B&H gold 20 pack) so I can smoke till my hearts desire!!!

neway happy mother's day to all smile

Chiggers Sun 10-Mar-13 19:15:52

Oh Pain, don't be stabbing yourself <<hugs Pain tightly again>>. Have you thought of getting a bracket and a sand-filled punchbag? You could kill two birds with one stone with it. You could let rip and release all your pent up anger out by kicking 7 shades out of it, and in the process get fit and keep your weight steady.

If that fails, do you think it would help to practice meditation or join a yoga class? I'm just trying to think of ways to channel your negative feelings in another direction and hopefully have something more positive come from that channelling IYSWIM.

Personally speaking, I like to go out and plant some fruit canes/veg and herb seeds and just watch them grow. I'm even daft enough to go out and talk to them grin. I am a bit daft at times, but hey, we can't be mature and sensible 24/7 wink. I find it very calming knowing that my nurturing of the plants could become edible produce bt the end of the summer.

Chiggers Sun 10-Mar-13 19:17:55

by the end of the summer. Would help if I could spell. Doh!!

PainForLife Sun 10-Mar-13 21:00:51

hey chiggers how r u this evening? sorry I've been moaning & taking out my frustration. the kicking bag would be a great idea if I didn't have mobility problems plus I don't have any strength. planting fruits sounds so peaceful smile

Chiggers Mon 11-Mar-13 19:02:07

Evening Pain, the planting is very calming. I feel like a new mother again and the fruit canes/herbs/veg are my babies to nurture IYSWIM.

PainForLife Mon 11-Mar-13 22:15:27

hi chiggers, I'm glad you find it so enjoyable. just checking in before heading to bed (sleeping pill has been taken!!!). hope everyone has had a good weekend & good Monday! keep fighting guys we will get there one day... good night smile

Chiggers Tue 12-Mar-13 07:48:45

Morning Pain. How are you feeling today? I hope you had a decent night's sleep last night.

PainForLife Tue 12-Mar-13 11:55:44

morning chiggers today has started off pretty bad. in lots of pain so have just had my pills & am lying in bed. feel really shitty as for breakfast I had a whole pack of cookies with tea!!! these meds are causing me to just eat, eat & eat more and I don't have any control sad plus I'm finding it hard to divert my thoughts from the evil flashbacks. so of course I'm thinking about SH/suicidal thoughts.....

anyway how is your day going?

Chiggers Tue 12-Mar-13 20:34:18

Aww Pain. So sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. Sometimes when you feel crap, the best thing you can do is sleep if you can and are able to get the time.

I know you may sometimes feel like you want to end things, but if you take every day just one at a time and don't act on your suicidal thoughts, then you could look back one day and realise that it was a good idea to not act on those feelings. I'm not saying that you should ignore them because obviously you can't, but it may help you to accept these thoughts are happening and you can't run away from them.

WRT your eating, in order to take a step forward, you could write in a diary each time you get major hunger pangs to see if there is a pattern to your eating. For example, you may find that after a week of recording when and how much you eat, that you get major hunger pangs, say, around 10am, 12pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7/8/9pm etc IYSWIM. You should keep note of the date, time and amount you eat for 2 months as this will help your GP and other HCP's you see. It could also help you readjust and control your eating habits in very small steps that are barely noticable and so your brain will get used to you eating a little less at certain tiimes. It's like swapping one habit/routine for another IYSWIM.

My day has been alright. Was panicking over not starting my English Literature assignment, but I needn't have worried as I have to read a good bit more of the beek before I can start. I also made a chocolate cake for DD's birthday party. Was nice to get baking again as I haven't done it for a good while. Apart from that, all's fine here.

Chiggers Tue 12-Mar-13 20:54:30

that was meant to be "A good bit more of the book" not beek.

Think I will go to bed now as I can't even speel due to primary brain malfunction. In other words I've gone a bit stupid grin.

PainForLife Thu 14-Mar-13 12:38:46

hi chiggers,
thanks for the food diary idea I might give that a try. I can't believe I have put on 10 kilos in the last two months becAuse of comfort eating...... I'm so ashamed of myself for this sad

had my neurologist appt yday & I've now been diagnosed as having fibromyalgia amongst all my other medical issues sad

Chiggers Sat 16-Mar-13 18:20:39

Evening Pain, how are you today? Am having a brew and was wondering if you wanted to join me smile?

Don't worry about your comfort eating and weight gain. You can always do something about it at a later date. Have you had your dopamine levels checked? Did/do you have a high-stress job or is there anything in your life that is causing you a lot of stress?

PainForLife Wed 20-Mar-13 14:46:44

hi all,
I've been rather in a "feel sorry for myself" mode. pains are still overwhelming & concourse that leads to the horrible thoughts! so when I switched the telly on "the budget" was on so decided to watch it to divert my attention. really disappointed with it though as no mention of welfare benefits at all....

chiggers I was in a very stressful job & was made redundant after mat leave 3 years ago. tbh I got a good redundancy package so it wasn't that disappointing. I became very unwell after giving birth so would not have been able to return to work anyway. since then health has continually deteriorated to the point I had a breakdown a few months ago. personally for me the hardest part has been to rely on "state benefits" for income . I've worked all my life so it's been hard to deal with being bedbound/housebound sad

PainForLife Sat 23-Mar-13 18:41:45

evening everyone,
thread has been a bit quite so hope ur all doing ok. sending big hugs to (lifts her demented left arm with pain & her right .arm effortlessly) flowers

Chiggers Sat 23-Mar-13 19:25:29

Evening Pain. What you went through could have brought many a person to their knees, wanting to give up. But you carry on as best you can, so of course you're allowed to feel sorry for yourself.

PainForLife Sat 23-Mar-13 21:10:43

thanks chiggers it means a lot u saying that flowers

I've been in a lot of pain this past week so hence the low mood. plus the weather has been horrid n cold sad

uptothestars Sun 24-Mar-13 01:33:07

I'm a mess xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now