Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sudden period after 4 years with Mirena coil - anyone had this?

(9 Posts)
glamourbadger Tue 25-Jun-13 09:50:01

I've started a Mirena fan club. We need a Facebook page! Agree, Googling medical issues is dangerous. I am still traumatised after image searching to identify 'armpit rash' - made me wish I could 'unsee' something.

Discovered period at dinner with husband's work colleagues wearing sheer dress. 14 year old girl moment! Had to wrap cardigan stylishly around bottom.

Thanks for advice, have a docs appointment - will ask for a scan.

Lovemynailstoday Tue 25-Jun-13 08:00:30

Nothing to add except I love mine too! My doc told me never to google as you only find the problems, not the success stories. We should start a Mirena-we-love-you thread! Seriously, though, I hope you get it sorted and maybe it's just a one off break through bleed?

Yep mine were brilliant too - I never had to pay for tampons or worry about periods at all basically. Now I'm happily pregnant but I'll go back to it when I need contraception again.

RedBushedT Mon 24-Jun-13 17:44:51

I love mine. It's made a huge difference to my previously extremely heavy periods.
when I had mine checked by the nurse, she couldn't see acting wrong. It was only when I had an ultrasound scan that it was obvious it had slipped. So if the GP days all is fine and your not convinced, do ask for a scan. I was told it was sitting too low to be effective against pregnancy shock so I was glad my GP had referred me on! Hope you get it sorted soon

glamourbadger Mon 24-Jun-13 15:08:48

Thanks for all your comments - much appreciated. I've made an appointment with my GP, after reading this I think it's worth getting it checked.

The Mirena coil gets so much bad press! It's worked so well for me, would highly recommend. So many women must get put off by the scary posts you read everywhere!

RedBushedT Sun 23-Jun-13 10:52:38

my coil moved after 18 months and I had heavier periods, twinging pains and bleeding after sex.
Worth getting it checked out if it continues
Had to have mine removed and a new one popped in, was no hassle smile

Maybe just the hormone levels depleting? I had three consecutive Mirenas over 15 years. The first one I had no periods, the second two I did but they were very light - no need for a tampon, just spotting really, but I was ovulating. Maybe your lucky years of not ovulating have passed?

LIZS Sun 23-Jun-13 10:46:09

yes it can happen as the hormone level reduces. With my 1st I had a couple of months with bleeding etc then it went back to normal for a year or so.

glamourbadger Sun 23-Jun-13 10:35:30

I've had a mirena coil for 4 years and it's been brilliant - no side effects, no periods (no babies!). I've had a bit of hormonal weirdness over the past month - dark patches appearing on my forehead, sore boobs and suddenly last night my period started with bad cramps.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've had a good Google but mainly just horror stories - it's difficult to find any proper info. I don't think it's moved or come out as I presume the period would be a lot heavier (they were fairly horrific pre coil).

Appreciate any thoughts if this has happened to anyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now