Cycling Thread - All Peddlers and Pedallers welcome.

(466 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 09-Sep-13 14:21:23

Have started a new thread as the other one is very nearly full.

UniS Mon 30-Sep-13 20:19:11

Bib tights hanging down will be be a lot cooler than some of the things a mamogram tech sees I'm sure.

VivaLeThrustBadger Mon 30-Sep-13 20:23:57

Some people don't seem to wash for weeks before hospital appts. I'm sure they'll have had worse. But yes baby wipes and deodorant and you'll be fine.

puffylovett Mon 30-Sep-13 22:55:59

Hello and welcome all the newbies.. I haven't been to say hello for a while, been too busy cleaning cycling wink

Found a nice cross country local circuit today, it was nice to get out and explore. But I missed getting my usual steep hill in - I like to feel like I've had a thorough workout.. We were meant to be doing the Goyt Valley today, but had to reschedule.

We haven't done too badly - clocked up Delamere Forest and a tricky 9 mile offroad woody rooty route in the last 10 days, as well as doing my local loop.

Is everybody else out enjoying this gorgeous autumn weather? Aren't the leaves just amazing - <ignores the potential for slippage!>

UniS Tue 01-Oct-13 15:25:05

one bike gone, one bike arrived, number of bikes in garage still n.

I now have my new brompton. its green, 5 speed, seems to have a habit of dropping the chain when one folds it, but i expect that can be cured.

The boys loan racing bike has gone back to the club.

Habbibu Tue 01-Oct-13 21:57:59

Did anyone else do Ride Like A Grrl the other weekend? Was rather wondering if there were MNers there. I know I met one at the kids race the next day.

capercaillie Tue 01-Oct-13 22:02:32

I know exactly what you mean about the brakes feeling further away on the road bike - definitely held back a bit going downhill because of that.

I got a lovely ride in with DS today (thank you striking teachers) - not on the road bike obviously but a nice circuit to a cafe in another village. I liked it because I got to do a couple of new bridleways and other bits I hadn't done before.

VivaLeThrustBadger Wed 02-Oct-13 07:51:51

Because mines a cyclocross rather than a true road bike I've got sissy brake levers on the flatbar as well as normal road bike brakes. I must admit downhill I have my hands on the top and use the secondary levers!

Thistledew Wed 02-Oct-13 09:31:52

For anyone struggling to reach or comfortably hold the brake levers on a road bike, you can get spacers that fit in the lever mechanism that alter the angle of them and bring them closer to the bars. I have them fitted on my road bike, as even though I have very long fingers I didn't feel I had a comfortable hold on the brakes when I was on the drops.

It is good practice to get in the habit of descending 'on the drops' on a road bike - that is to say that when you are going down hill you should have your hands on the curve of the handlebars. Leaning forward more feels like the last thing you should be doing when you are going down hill but it is actually much safer as you lower your centre of gravity and your grip on the bars will be much more secure and stable. You can actually get a stronger pull on the brakes if necessary.

Keep your weight to the back of the saddle, and on straight sections, keep your pedals level. Going around corners you will need to have your inside leg bent and the outside straight, and sticking your inside knee out a bit will help with the balance.

VivaLeThrustBadger Wed 02-Oct-13 10:17:18

I didn't know about spacers. Thanks Thistledew, ill get some fitted.

UniS Wed 02-Oct-13 14:22:16

One of my winter projects is going to be altering the set up on my drop bars. I'm going to roll the bar round forward a little, move the hoods and brakes a bit nearer me as well, then re-apply bar tape. I should end up with the brakes nearer me and more flat bar at the bottom of the drops, also nearer me.

Was suggested by the chap ( cycle tech) who did a bike fit for me at a club night.

UniS Wed 02-Oct-13 14:48:15

If any of you are in the South west there is women and girls only cycle coaching session going on on Sunday at Westpoiunt ( devon county show ground) near Exeter.
You don't need to be a racer to benefit from some coaching. and a road bike is not compulsory.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/99949/Rider-Development-Session---Women-and-Girls-only

ParvatiTheWitch Fri 04-Oct-13 18:58:08

Thanks Thisledew, I'll definitely ride downhill on the drops and look at getting some spacers, you live and learn.

VivaLeThrustBadger Mon 07-Oct-13 12:10:47

I'm really excited. Have decided to book a week's holiday up to Galloway. Its not till next July as dd has a week long school trip. So she's off to Germany and I'm going to seize the opportunity.

The plan was to take my cyclocross bike and do some road riding/bridlepaths. Then I thought I'd take my trike as well. I'd prefer to take the trike but if its really hilly it might be a bit tough. Then last night I was looking at the Glentrool website and reckon I'm going to take my mtb as well.

Taking 3 bikes with me for a week's holiday isn't excessive is it? grin

ParvatiTheWitch Sat 12-Oct-13 20:28:33

Did anyone go for a ride yesterday morning in the wind? A branch twig blew off a tree and hit me in the face and all the squirrels two were legging it around, out of their trees. It was exhilarating.

UniS Sat 12-Oct-13 23:06:25

I went for a ride, but didn't notice the wind. Maybe because I was in deep bridleways most of the time on the edge of dartmoor. Getting a little cyclo cross practise in before I tackle a novice ladies CX race next weekend.

Was rather scarey coming down hill on rock n rubble trying to use the drop brakes ( not the cross tops) AND keep my weight back.... more practise needed I think.

VivaLeThrustBadger Sat 12-Oct-13 23:30:23

Not been out this weekend but have got my mtb bike from the cycle shop after six months!

What I thought would be a fiddle to fix the gears has turned into a full restoration. Only the frame, tyres, hubs, handlebar and stem are the same bits.

New wheels, new cassette, new front mech, new rear mech, new chain, new chain set, new gear levers, new grips, new cables, upgraded to v brakes, other new stuff I can't remember.

Can't wait to ride it again!

Crappyoldframe Mon 14-Oct-13 16:47:52

Hi All, Hope you don't mind if I join in.

Just started cycling a couple of months ago, have a Giant Escape Hybrid and love it but am plagued by bloody injuries.

Training to do C2C next year, unfit and building up slowly (5 miles to 14 so far!) Have also been seeing a PT and doing strength and interval training for a few months. I have achilles tendinopathy (longstanding but improving problem) minor meniscus tears in both knees which are healing and now after pushing to increase my MPH this weekend what I think is a calf strain!

It's really disheartening as I should be doing everything right re slow build up and recovery. Bike is in for service this week though I will be out of action for a bit, Any advice greatly received!

I've just got basic pedals at the moment but thinking I should change to cleats then at least I can maintain a stable foot position and find out what works best for me. Not sure if I am confident at handling the bike well enough yet though. Look forward to learning from you all!

Habbibu Mon 14-Oct-13 16:58:14

Sticky shoes might help if cleats are scary, though I don't know if that's the done thing in road biking. I have five tens, and they keep my foot in place quite well.

Habbibu Mon 14-Oct-13 16:59:05

Viva - v exciting. Never replied to your post about the borders - did you decide how many bikes to take in the end?

Crappyoldframe Mon 14-Oct-13 17:04:22

Thanks Habbibu though I have no idea what sticky shoes are smile I will ask at the bike shop tomorrow what my options are as I just wear running trainers at the moment and my feet are all over the place.

VivaLeThrustBadger Mon 14-Oct-13 17:08:24

I reckon I'm going to take all three bikes. I can take two up on the bike rack and the trike folds up small and will go in the boot.

Only thing I'm slightly worried about is keeping two in the holiday cottage while I'm riding one. I get the impression the cottage is quite tiny and I don't want to piss the owner off by keeping bikes inside. Though its an isolated farm so I guess I could just lock them up outside to something secure.

VivaLeThrustBadger Mon 14-Oct-13 17:10:25

Crappy, yes get cleats. I got some and haven't looked back, made a massive difference. If you suffer with your knees try to keep your cadance quite high, so spin in an easier gear rather than pushing hard in a stiffer gear. Kinder on the knees.

Just keep building it up bit by bit.

Thistledew Mon 14-Oct-13 17:37:44

Hi Crappy

You might want to get cleats with 'float' - these are supposed to be better for bad knees. Cleats are either 'fixed' or with 'float' - the latter just allow you to rotate your foot a little on the pedal so you can find the most comfortable position.

I have Speedplay Zero pedals on my road bike which I think are great, and which do have quite a lot of float. They are particularly ridiculous for walking in though.

Also make sure that you have you saddle at the right height. Having it too low will put a real strain on your knees. Sitting square on your saddle, with the pedal at the lowest point of the rotation, you should be able to rest your heel on the pedal with you leg completely straight. Get your bike shop, if they are a good one, to help you check if you are unsure.

stickygotstuck Mon 14-Oct-13 17:42:10

Hello! [waves] Room for one more?

I have been lurking here on and off, and I think it's time I joined.

I cycle about 3 times a week for fitness and because I like to be outdoors when I can. I wouldn't say I am a serious cyclist, but this is the only exercise I get and I have been trying to stick at it for the last 3 years.

I have an old 18-gear Raleigh MTB which is made of some strange alloy called 'Cromolly'. Now DD is too big for her child seat sad I am going to swap it for a new bike for my birthday in a couple of months. I am very excited about that smile, but getting bogged down with all the choice!

I want to be able to go further in the same amount of time and not to be overtaken by loads of road bikes going twice as fast with half the effort and I was looking for something
- lighter
- with smooth tyres
- with a more upright sitting position
- with larger wheels (not sure about this one)

I thought I had narrowed it down to a hybrid and got a couple of catalogues from my local bike shop.

But I went into Halfords last weekend and sat on a Pendleton Somerby. It was so comfortable that, to my bewilderment, I am thinking could I make do with this instead of the hybrid.

It's only 7 speed and weighs 15 kg, and it looks just too pretty to get all muddy and take around bridle paths (and it has cream tyres, cream! shock). BUT the sitting position really was comfy and I loved the huge wheels. Plus it's not expensive.

Any words of wisdom? Can anyone talk me out of it/suggest an alternative?

Habbibu Mon 14-Oct-13 17:44:42

Lock them and take a tarp and bungees in case it buckets down, Viva? WE did that in Wales last summer.

Crappy, I'd listen to the cleats people. I mostly ride off-road and am way too chicken for cleats - sticky shoes are, I think, derived from shoes used by skateboarders, and have a special sticky rubber on the bottom that stops your feet slipping on the pedals - you have to lift them upwards to readjust. But cleats would probably be much better for your knees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now