Who fancies a No Spend Day thread (like MSE forum's) ?

(462 Posts)
OhDearNigel Mon 31-Dec-12 13:27:59

I prefer MN to MSE but would like to do some NSDs in January. Anyone else interested in doing a support thread ? this is the idea

I have a shocking spending habit and i really, really need to curb it. So I am going to have a goal of 10 NSDs in January and aim to manage 3 in a row. That would be a massive achievement for me.

Booyhoo Fri 04-Jan-13 17:54:19

forgot to post here wednesday and yesterday!

didn't spend anything on wednesday, did massive food shop yesterday and got myself and dcs some clothes in the asda sale. i never buy myself clothes but this is the first year i haven't really needed the money my mum gave me for xmas so i thought i'd get something nice with it. haven't spent anything today either and wont be leaving the house so dont expect to tonight.

Booyhoo Fri 04-Jan-13 17:59:07

"I want weekly shop day to be the main spending day, so if I find myself think DD needs tights or whatever halfway through the week I have to wait until the main day to buy them "

i try and do this too.

ds has scouts on monday evenings so i try to get to asda during that hour and get the groceries in as it means only using the car once and hopefully walking everywhere the rest of the week. all the other shops are closed though but the dcs both go to their gran's every other monday afternoon so i get to the shops downtown during those couple of hours meaning my spending is still all on a monday. it makes planning my shopping out easier aswell as i know what time i have and what i need to get instead of nipping down every other day for something and towing the dcs with me and them wanting sweets hmm grin

NSD number 2 for me providing we don't have to go out to get carrots for dinner! I even resisted the temptation to buy myself some chips when my boss asked me to go get some for one of the kids (he's only allowed plain food today thanks to treatment this morning, I've had an unimpressed 4yo all afternoon!) and I really think I deserve a chip butty after this afto! But no, I get a dauphinoise instead if DP gets off his backside to make it, otherwise I'm making pasta I'm actually gutted about that!

Tomorrow will be a spending day, the shop I'm buying my hiking boots called to say that they have the ones I wanted to try on in and ready for me to buy grin As I'm in town anyway for a 10mile walk I may as well go after my walk! Hopefully Lush would have had their bloody delivery too so that I can pick up my face wash without having to make another trip for it next week hmm

TinyDiamond Fri 04-Jan-13 18:49:14

still on 2/15 today as had to spend £1.70 on bus fare. hoping for nsd tomorrow though

ComradeJing Fri 04-Jan-13 20:23:53

I knew the start of the month would be busy here. Sdc are staying and were doing house projects. Hoping today will be a NSD.

Weekly food shop today so still on 2/10 but hoping for a NSD tomorrow smile

mum23girlys Fri 04-Jan-13 21:39:12

Well done everyone!

Nsd here today. Mainly because I spent the whole day clearing out and getting stuff ready to list on facebook selling page. Have sold an exercise machine already so that's £15 coming my way this weekend.

Will need to spend tomorrow as I've booked to get mine and the girls hair cut with my Christmas money. Also older dds have dancing so will need fuel to get there and a coffee to keep me sane whilst I wait for them smile

FleeBee Fri 04-Jan-13 21:41:47

I didn't manage it today. Met a guiding colleague at soft play to plan our new term so had to pay for my DCs to play. Still on 1/10

poorpaws Fri 04-Jan-13 21:57:58

I'll try too. I have a low income and a credit card debt so I need nsds. Never done this before so we'll see.

nkf Fri 04-Jan-13 23:03:59

Nsd 2 here.

MrsShrek3 Fri 04-Jan-13 23:29:13

I have done 3 NSDs and I'm saving for holiday spend for a.weekend away at the start of Feb... had to do supermarket shopping today (after three days of nothing we had bare cupboards...) tomorrow is ds1s birthday treat so £24 which is a prebooked bargain for the activity he's doing smile
Sunday will be nsd 4. can't decide whether to aim for 10 or 15...would it be bizarre to go for 12 NSDs instead? confused 15 is tempting mind. views welcome...

well done everyone, doing good so far smile

missbennett Sat 05-Jan-13 00:02:43

Still on 1/12. But v minimal spending today - birthday card for DD1 and cup of coffee for me and mum at the market - v cheap - 50p each - I know how to push the boat out wink, then £10.50 on my veggie box and I got cash out for the week ahead. Tomorrow meeting a friend for a coffee - a luxury I know but a v good friend I haven't seen for ages and she helps keep me sane, especially when life is stressful smile so will do me good. Sunday will be a write off I expect due to travelling, but should do better come Monday.........

Booyhoo Sat 05-Jan-13 00:21:02

if you want a challenge go for 15 but only as long as you aren't the type to beat yourself up if you dont reach 15. if you want to definitely succeed, go for 10. smile

MrsShrek3 Sat 05-Jan-13 00:36:04

Thanks Boo - Im going to hit the challenge for 15 but I'm stupidly competitive Will convince myself that anything above 12 is a winner wink
thanks for replysmile

AViewfromtheFridge Sat 05-Jan-13 00:51:26

Im going to hit the challenge for 15 but I'm stupidly competitive Will convince myself that anything above 12 is a winner

Could I join please? Haven't spent anything today, so 1/4 so far!

Booyhoo Sat 05-Jan-13 01:09:58

good luck mrsS

i'd be in the 'beat myself up' category grin

aView are you only going for 4 no spending days this month?

IamMummyhearmeROAR Sat 05-Jan-13 09:59:14

3/10 here!

Not sure what the weekend will bring. Will need a tank of fuel that's for sure. Might con dh into doing that for me if I loan him my car on my non working days. He needs to keep his mileage down.

wools Sat 05-Jan-13 10:18:15

Spent £12 in Waitrose which wasn't really necessary so a bit annoyed with myself. Hoping to take a dress back today which I bought before Christmas so hopefully putting money back in the coffers and making up for yesterday's blip. 2/10 for me so far!!

ComradeJing Sat 05-Jan-13 10:29:06

Another spend day here hmm. Setting up a house is crap for NSDs and I was a tad daft to go for 15.

Sticking to my budget though so doing ok.

hurricanewyn Sat 05-Jan-13 10:32:07

Was supposed to be 3/10 for me today, but I forgot about getting home from the station with two DCs & an enormous suitcase as well as whatever assorted things they've gotten while away.

It's only 1 mile from the train station to home, but I don't think we'll walk - I want to be more careful with money, but not a martyr!

Viviennemary Sat 05-Jan-13 10:34:20

I think I'll give this a go. But would it not mean that you just spend more on the NSD's. And I suppose buying things online counts does it.

Viviennemary Sat 05-Jan-13 10:35:12

I meant on the spend days. I can see I'm going to be great at this! grin

Morning all. Some people are doing so well (4 NSDs already! shock)

Yesterday was almost a NSD but not quite. We are doing well eating up left overs but had to send DH to the shop for bread, milk and butter (£6.66) so though I'd buy my vitamin tablets online or I'll only have to spend on them another day next week so another £3.20. Not bad though at less than £10 and most importantly NO unneeded spending smile.

Not sure about today as don't know what we have planned. Back at work/nursery on Monday.

So, still on 2/10 here.

Ps I have been recording any NSDs on our family calendar, which is motivating for me.

AViewfromtheFridge Sat 05-Jan-13 11:42:21

Oh, sorry, no - misunderstood! I'm going for fifteen, so 1/15.

Spent yesterday, but no spending planned for today. Doing well so far, as we haven't got out of bed yet grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now