Who fancies a No Spend Day thread (like MSE forum's) ?

(462 Posts)
OhDearNigel Mon 31-Dec-12 13:27:59

I prefer MN to MSE but would like to do some NSDs in January. Anyone else interested in doing a support thread ? this is the idea

I have a shocking spending habit and i really, really need to curb it. So I am going to have a goal of 10 NSDs in January and aim to manage 3 in a row. That would be a massive achievement for me.

lorisparkle Sun 20-Jan-13 22:45:53

well and truly stuck on 9 /15. online shop arrived at last and had to buy medicine for poorly DC. must do better.....

PersuedByPenguins Mon 21-Jan-13 11:44:21

I might get 6/10 after all as we are snowed in today so won't be paying for DDs dance class fees!

lorisparkle Mon 21-Jan-13 12:31:42

I think we are going to get passed 9/15 at last so 10/15 now.

OK defo hit 9/10 on Tues as was at training session and they provide lunch (plus the venue is nowhere near the shops so no temptation).

However did another supermarket topup shop on Wed.

On Thurs I got to day no 10, but the weekend was a disaster! Friday had to turn back from road home due to traffic jams, and stay with my parents (and get fish n chips to comfort us as we were wet through and had no spare clothes)

Saturday we did the cinema day that I've been promising DD for ages. Sunday I ended up buying fuel and a new kitchen clock. Then though "Wonderful, I'll have a NSD on Monday"...DD has had pain in her side for 24 hours so that was €50 to the doctor this morning to discover she's got inflamed muscles at the tip of her floating rib (better than the appendicitis I was afraid of!) and another €20 in the chemist for paracetamol, a hot water bottle, and arnica.

I have €3.03 left in my bank account, luckily payday is Wed! Won't manage the 12 NSD's I was hoping for, but 11 is brilliant. Considering this is January I 've managed an unexpected doctor's bill and new tyres for the car - unheard of in previous years. I'm doing this next month too!

8/10

Living Tue 22-Jan-13 04:36:01

Ok last posted on Thursday at 6/10. Technically Thursday was a NSD but I think DH buying me tea out of the joint account probably counts as spent. Friday was a SD, Saturday was a SD, Sunday was a NSD and yesterday was a NSD so at 8/10.

Aiming for another NSD today.

Living Tue 22-Jan-13 04:36:41

More importantly for me - so far this January 0 purchases of tea whilst at work smile

wools Tue 22-Jan-13 17:06:16

7/10

bigkidsdidit Tue 22-Jan-13 17:09:00

I'm now at 9/15 after a tough time when I had to get lots f buses and teas

DS ill so we're staying home now which is easier but I'm back at work tomorrow

snozzlemaid Tue 22-Jan-13 17:10:53

Finally had another one. Now 7/10

TinyDiamond Tue 22-Jan-13 23:29:45

10/15 looking good, 9 days until payday but babysitting twice this week so that should bring me in £40

ComradeJing Wed 23-Jan-13 00:12:12

Total fail here. 4/15 hmm

Will keep trying.

Living Wed 23-Jan-13 10:30:46

9/10 after yesterday. Hopefully another one today smile

I haven't done very well this past week. Not spent a lot in total, but lots of little spends which has irritated me grin.

NSD today so 8/10 smile

I don't get paid til 31st so I should manage it I think. Still quite a bit in the freezer.

How long would you guys leave stuff in there and still eat it? A few months? A year? Not sure how long stuff has been lurking at the bottom tbh!

IamMummyhearmeROAR Wed 23-Jan-13 21:57:33

Nsd 10.

greensnail Fri 25-Jan-13 14:42:40

Looks like nsd 7/10 here unless anything unexpected happens.

More exciting though is that I got paid today and still had several hundred pounds left over from last month's pay which I've now transferred ti or savings account. Can't believe how much money I must have been wasting in the past. Really feel motivated to keep going and reach 10 nsds by the end of the month.

Can't remember who was asking about how long to keep things in the freezer but I would definitely eat stuff that's been in there a year.

TinyDiamond Fri 25-Jan-13 15:18:00

right, 12/15. today is sort of a white lie as I have spent on paying the gas/elec and council tax bill online, but as its for next month and my salary has gone in a week earlier than usual I'm not counting it. tomorrow hopefully another nsd... I am determined to make my target!

7 achieved on Wednesday, 8 achieved today! Would have had another yesterday, but took advantage of the Argos gift voucher offer on MSE, ready for curtains I'm buying this week. Glad I did too, as they've realised that it was an offer that would lose them loads, and pulled it. I've just made a quiche and a lemon drizzle cake, for lunches over the weekend, but payday tomorrow so may not be able to resist the lure of Tescos.

hurricanewyn Fri 25-Jan-13 18:39:37

13/10 here for me today. The weekend will probably be spend free too.

Things are pretty tight here & I always thought we were fairly frugal, but since the beginning of this I have managed to save £170 so far. By the end of this month I'm hoping to have another £150. It's making a huge difference so thanks to everyone for their support.

bluecarrot Sat 26-Jan-13 01:44:51

How did I miss this?! Been doing it on MSE but I don't like posting there so basically just been updating sig then leaving!. I'd love to join if you are doing it next month too smile managed 11 so far this month (original target was 8)

NSD yesterday so that's 9/10. I'm really pleased. I should easily be able to one more day before Thursday!

greensnail Sat 26-Jan-13 20:23:35

8/10 todaygrin

TinyDiamond Sat 26-Jan-13 21:37:53

13/15!!! Yay

IamMummyhearmeROAR Sun 27-Jan-13 09:06:20

Nsd on Friday- that makes 11!

bigkidsdidit Sun 27-Jan-13 09:08:53

10 for me now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now