Who fancies a No Spend Day thread (like MSE forum's) ?

(462 Posts)
OhDearNigel Mon 31-Dec-12 13:27:59

I prefer MN to MSE but would like to do some NSDs in January. Anyone else interested in doing a support thread ? this is the idea

I have a shocking spending habit and i really, really need to curb it. So I am going to have a goal of 10 NSDs in January and aim to manage 3 in a row. That would be a massive achievement for me.

silverfrog Mon 31-Dec-12 13:31:11

sounds like a good idea to me.

I have all the basics sorted - meal plans, online food shop so not tempted by impulse purchases, but I too have a shocking 'bit here, bit there' spending habit.

10 NSDs sounds achievable - count me in.

citybranch Mon 31-Dec-12 18:11:39

This would be great, I sometimes read the MSE threads but, like you, prefer MN. I haven't a clue how many NSDs would be attainable for me but I'll start with 10 too and see how that goes.

January 1st should be an easy NSD as I'm working a NYE night shift tonight and will probably spend tomorrow sleeping!

PolkadotCircus Mon 31-Dec-12 18:48:48

Me,me,me!!!!!

Also like those long threads when you say what frugal things you've done each day.Never taken part but determined to this year.Like the way those threads spur people on.

I tried for 2012, failed miserably by March blush I too prefer MN to MSE!

Up for trying it again though, I'm awful for popping to the shops and thinking "Oh, that's only £2.50..." and that habit makes me spend what little money I have very quickly.

I'll try 10 NSDs for January too smile I'll start on Thursday, as tomorrow I'm travelling home and on Wednesday I need to bug my expedition providers about money they should have taken a month ago hmm

MushroomSoup Mon 31-Dec-12 19:09:27

I'm in! What are the rules?

Me, me, me!

I'll go for ten too - based purely on that being what everyone else is aiming for! grin

flossy101 Mon 31-Dec-12 19:27:45

I'm in! Will also aim for 10 days!

ZebraInHiding Mon 31-Dec-12 19:43:16

I'm in too. Am rubbish at keeping up with threads, but lurk and would love to hear people's frugal tip along the way to get them through a nsd. I will go for ten too!

ComradeJing Mon 31-Dec-12 23:19:32

I'm in! I hate the layout of MSE forum so never join probably very useful threads.

I'm going for 15 days. smile

MushroomSoup Mon 31-Dec-12 23:21:09

Tell me the rules!

Soup: essentially you have a No Spend Days target, and you just make sure that you don't spend any money for the amount of days for your target. 10NSDs is a nice starting number as it's no spending for 10 days in January, so roughly every third day will be an NSD.

Ruprekt Tue 01-Jan-13 01:06:14

Me too

MushroomSoup Tue 01-Jan-13 01:09:58

I'm in!

wools Tue 01-Jan-13 08:56:35

I'd love to give this a go too.

450fromPaddington Tue 01-Jan-13 08:58:11

Good idea. I'm interested too!

EleanorGiftbasket Tue 01-Jan-13 09:06:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lorisparkle Tue 01-Jan-13 09:13:58

sounds good. we are trying to clear some debt so every little helps. will have to convince Dh though! I will go for 15 I think.

TeWisBeenNargledByTheMistletoe Tue 01-Jan-13 09:20:41

Me too!

Haven't spent anything yet today grin

hurricanewyn Tue 01-Jan-13 09:25:35

Can I join too?

I'll try for 10 this month too, see how I get on for the first month. I've read some of the threads on mse - are we going the same way, counting direct debits etc as spending?

noisytoys Tue 01-Jan-13 09:46:24

I've been doing NSD's for about a year now. It becomes so much if a habit I do more no spend days than spend days. It quickly opens your eyes to how much money is frittered away in dribs and drabs

bigkidsdidit Tue 01-Jan-13 10:49:54

I'm in! Aiming tO pay off my OD (£1600) before Dc2 arrives in June so this would be great

Another person in , we're sticking to a strict budget this year. Would like to clear some small debts we have and maybe start overpaying the mortgage. I am adament this is our year for straightening everything out .

GW297 Tue 01-Jan-13 11:04:55

I love NSDs!

PersuedByPenguins Tue 01-Jan-13 11:14:55

Oooh I'm in too, will also aim for 10 days! In fact I think I might 'diarise' them to keep me on the straight and narrow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now