Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please hold my hand - cancer.

(987 Posts)
Trazzletoes Tue 02-Oct-12 10:31:11

Currently in hospital since last night with DS who is 3. Scans show masses on his brain. Drs believe them to be tumours, likely to have come from his abdomen.

Waiting for more scans/tests etc. staff are being overly nice to us which is worrying me more (though they did refer us to social services last night as they thought DH or I had fractured DS' skull.

Feel incredibly sick. He is 3 years old. Please hold my hand.

ToffeeWhirl Sat 13-Oct-12 15:29:45

Trazzle - Lemsip capsules are brilliant when you have a cold. They always get me through it.

I donate blood regularly (prompted to start again after a MN thread pricked my conscience) and, curiously, have never thought that it might go to a child. I suppose it's just such an awful thought that we don't like to think of it. It's sobering to realise how vital it is that people donate. (For anyone who wants to start giving blood, go here. It's easy to do and you get free biscuits and crisps smile).

It must be awful for you to have to stay away from your DS because of your cold. Have they said when it will be safe for you to go back? I think colds are most contagious at the start or just before the symptoms appear.

You have had so much to deal with in such a short space of time. You are doing brilliantly. You may not be able to "fix any problem" in the magical way DS imagines, but you are fixing it in the real world, just by being strong, following the doctors' advice and supporting your little boy.

strictlycaballine Sat 13-Oct-12 16:28:09

Trazzle must be so hard for you but you and your dh are giving your ds all possible support and help so that he is in the best possible position to be fixed by others who have the know-how.

Good news about antibiotics kicking in and your ds's fever coming down.

Wishing you and your dd a speedy recovery too

Sending bucketloads of courage and positive thoughts & prayers over this weekend. DD will be lighting a candle in church for you tomorrow.

[Wishes could do something more practical to help]

tholeon Sat 13-Oct-12 17:25:35

You poor thing. Second first defence nose spray for colds and I used to go mad with their hand foam as well when ds was in hospital, just all the time for all of us in an attempt to ward off bugs. Didn't always work but probably worth doing. You probably all have the same thing so don't need to worry about spreading it between you.

You are doing all your very best for ds, and in his little child instinctive way he will know that, and feel safe because of it.

I wish there was something practical as a mumsnet community we could do for you, if you can think of anything.

Does anyone know if you can bring babies with you when you give blood? Have been thinking I should go for a while, but not knowing what to do with dd when I go. She is nine months.

Trazzletoes Sat 13-Oct-12 20:57:16

Right, blood transfusion done. Apparently DS was at his happiest and most smiley this evening during his bedtime phone call to me <smug>. I've really missed him today but will be with him tomorrow and overnight.

His blood count is pretty bad apparently, and normally they would hold off on the next round of chemo, but with neuroblastoma it appears that they have to be pretty relentless and just keep going in order to beat it, no matter how much it brings DS down in the meantime. Needs must, eh.

I think I've replied to all PMs tonight now. If anyone has PMd me and I haven't replied, apologies but I'm not ignoring you on purpose! I'm just a teensy bit dappy and sleep-deprived at the mo.

Trazzletoes Sat 13-Oct-12 21:02:43

Oh and, good news! Currys are sending someone to fit the washing machine tomorrow because I cried at them down the phone and told them they were ridiculous and liars. result!

Four4me Sat 13-Oct-12 21:15:41

Yeah for the washer fitting!! Just needed a bit of Trazzle roaring!!!

Glad the transfusion went well and that his temp is under control. Glad you are feeling less coldy and that you'll be with your baby boy tomorrow. Hope dd has a better night and you get some well deserved rest.

Thinking of you all loads and just shout if you need us mners to do anything esp us Yorkshire girls. Xxx

123caughtaflea Sat 13-Oct-12 21:27:01

OMG, what a nightmare all round.

I have sometimes told children at work that mummies have special magic and can send a special mummy hug via someone else's arms - the obvious one being DH or your DM, who is, after all a mummy herself. Just a thought.

And the candle is burning.

www.gratefulness.org/candles (group = TT) xx

Been thinking about trazzlefamily in all sorts of odd places today...seeing small boys giggling in Tesco, candles burning in people's windows, a picture of an octopus.

Love love love and hands still here for holding
Xxxxxxxxx

NeDeLaMer Sat 13-Oct-12 21:47:16

Checking in to see how you are doing! Great result with Curry's!! Well done you. (Get whoever is there to make sure they remove the transit bolts - they're quite well known for forgetting to do that).

How are you and DD feeling now?

How's your Mum holding up? and DH?

As others have said, although it's a visual sign that DS is really ill, the feeding tube will be a good thing, it will give him far more energy to fight this and take the pressure off of him eating - then he can really eat what he wants, when he wants. Poor little love sad

I regularly donate blood - I feel it's the least I can do. (I'm no longer able to donate bone marrow unfortunately).

Hopefully now he's had that done, he will feel a bit perkier.

Lots of love
NDLM

PS: As others have said, I have no idea what any of us can do to actually help, but if you think of anything, please - please - please let us know x

Thumbwitch Sat 13-Oct-12 22:11:48

Just catching up with the news - sorry to hear it's not been so good! sad

But fingers crossed that the blood transfusion and the NG tube will help keep your DS's strength up more for the next bit.

Awful that your DD is ill too - you poor loves, what a time you're having - thank goodness for wonderful mums to help out though.

JustSpiro - what a wonderful thing to do, sorting those maps out! They're fantastic. smile

Love and strength to you all, and lots of "get well and buggeroffinfection" vibes coming your way too. xx

HairyPotter Sat 13-Oct-12 22:24:55

Trazzle I'm so sorry you are having such a rough ride. Well done for sorting Currys out though.

Spoldge of light still shining here for you, sending much love and positive thoughts for your beautiful ds.

I would be more than happy so send something in the post to cheer him up if you have any ideas for things he might like.

You are doing an amazing job xx

skateboarder Sat 13-Oct-12 22:45:31

Thinking of you and your family trazzle

ToffeeWhirl Sat 13-Oct-12 23:59:56

Of course he was at his happiest and most smiley when talking to his lovely mum! He will be so happy to see you again tomorrow, Trazzle. I'm glad the blood transfusion went well, but sorry the poor lamb's blood count is so low and that he needs more chemo so soon regardless.

And good for you to cry down the phone to Currys and get the new washing machine sorted out! It must feel so hard to cope with everyday stuff on top of your DS's illness.

I hope you manage to get some rest tonight.

thewhistler Sun 14-Oct-12 08:23:49

Morning, Trazzle.

Hope everything goes well for you today, thinking of you.

ShiftyFades Sun 14-Oct-12 09:14:48

Morning Trazzle, so sorry to read yesterday's posts, must have been a terribly hard day for you sad
I bet DS will be very excited at seeing his amazing Mum today grin

I hope everyone is feeling better today.

I echo ng tube comments. DS had this twice when he was hospitalised with bronchiolitis, both times the worst bit was them putting the tube in but once it was in it was, quite literally, a life saver. He was too ill to eat and that lack of strength meant he couldn't fight the illness. We nearly lost him on both occasions.
The ng tube saved him.
Maybe they could use an anaesthetic spray to help the process?

Thinking of you all, always.

((hugs))

Trazzletoes Sun 14-Oct-12 09:26:26

Thanks shifty. They will pop it in under ga, I think.

MrsDeVere Sun 14-Oct-12 09:30:18

They can give meds via the NG as well.
That makes things a lot easier if your little one hates them x

ToffeeWhirl Sun 14-Oct-12 09:52:41

I hope it all goes well today, Trazzle. Your DS will be so happy to see you again smile.

Doobydoo Sun 14-Oct-12 10:06:05

Thinking of you all....Splodge of light from Lincolnshire.xx

blizy Sun 14-Oct-12 10:11:25

Morning trazzle, sorry to hear about yesterday but I'm glad you are able to be with your little man today. You are never far from my thoughts. X

butterfingerz Sun 14-Oct-12 10:20:53

I take Berocca throughout the winter, it seems to keep colds and flu away mostly... if I feel a bit under the weather I take a double or even triple dose.

Can your DS take vitamins on his meds? My kids love Natures Plus Animal Parade, they're all different animal shapes and taste like Refresher sweets... contain all the vitamins and minerals they need unlike a lot of kids vitamins that only contain a few. I even pop a few myself as I hate swallowing tablets. Sorry if this is not helpful to you, if vitamins are maybe contraindicated.

123caughtaflea Sun 14-Oct-12 20:58:17

Hope today has gone well.

The light burns on . . .

www.gratefulness.org/candles (group = TT) xx

shallweshop Sun 14-Oct-12 21:07:55

Just wanted to send you a big virtual healing hug. I hope you are feeling better and have been able to see your little man. Praying for his recovery. xxx

PrincessSymbian Sun 14-Oct-12 21:10:45

Keep your vit c and your vit d levels up, both will help boost your immune system, maybe also get some minadex as stress and tiredness will lower your immunity and ability to fight things.
Glad that you get see your son tomorrow.

Leoboy Sun 14-Oct-12 21:17:05

Nothing to add here, just to say how sorry I am that your beautiful boy is so poorly. It is something we all dread. Splodge of light here in Scarborough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now