Worst spelling of perfectly ordinary names? Elyviya anyone?

(640 Posts)
backonthedecaff Mon 21-Feb-11 22:35:26

I have met a Danyal, Daniol, Naiphthan, Caytie and an Alivia. Why do people consign their children to a life time of 'no, that's Daniel spelt...'? Any equally terrible ones out there?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 26-Jun-13 17:55:05

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Wed 26-Jun-13 07:15:36
The funniest names I ever saw (I admit, I thought this was clever in a way) Was twins with the last name Juan

They were named Dis and Dat. I giggled

That is truly amazing, I love it!

Theselittlelightsofmine Wed 26-Jun-13 16:24:53

Jme

smile

SantanaLopez Wed 26-Jun-13 15:37:58

Shinelle

amazingmumof6 Wed 26-Jun-13 13:30:34

PMSL @ Dis Juan and Dat Juan grin grin

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Wed 26-Jun-13 07:15:36

The funniest names I ever saw (I admit, I thought this was clever in a way) Was twins with the last name Juan.

They were named Dis and Dat. I giggled blush

TheRealFellatio Wed 26-Jun-13 03:45:08

Oh dear jelly - that poor child is going to have to suffer a lifetime of being called 'channel' every time her name is read out. You'd think instead of getting uppity over it the mother would realise she's been an idiot and change the spelling asap before the poor child gets too used to writing her own name in such a ridiculous way.

RaRaZ Tue 25-Jun-13 11:46:03

God, imagine being a teacher confronted with a new register full of these 'names' on the first morning of term?! Migraine-inducing.

spicegirl13 Tue 25-Jun-13 10:55:09

Oh crikey this is hilarious!

I know a Lilli-Mai (which probably isn't as bad as some on here, but it's otherwise an OK name so why ruin it?!)

Also, surely Mai is pronounced 'my' rather than 'May' so it just sounds like you're saying It with a Brummie accent confused

jellybelly18 Tue 25-Jun-13 10:23:45

In work I called twins names out to collect something ...... Sky and Channel! The mum said really nastily 'it's Chanel! Definitely spelt channel!

Phew, I feel a bit better knowing I haven't scarred my child for life. grin

Some of these names are awful though.

My name is has one letter difference to original and I'm always spelling it out. It doesn't bother me much.

forgetmenots Mon 24-Jun-13 11:37:31

Mrscosmo put the can down and step away from the worms!! smile

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 24-Jun-13 10:01:00

My cousin's daughter is Daizy.

A relative in the US goes to school with a girl who is Elyzabeth. shock

Not quite the same but does it bug/bother other people when nicknames are given as 'full' names?

E.g - naming a boy Billy rather than William. (My choice would be to name him William but call him Billy. That way, when he's older he can use whichever version he wants. I ask because several people I know have done this - so we've a range of Billies, Alfies, Bobbies, Jamies and so on.

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sun 23-Jun-13 23:57:23

I feel stupid because most of these names sound like what they look like, as if they've been sounded out yet I can barely pronounce half of them. confused

Linguaphile Sun 23-Jun-13 23:32:08

I know a brand new Ellody. sad

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 23-Jun-13 16:31:29

dontbug no he should be fine. There is a difference between using a name from a different culture and wildly misspelling it. Another example - I would call a daughter Alys not Alice because I'm Welsh (and prefer the former spelling generally speaking)

I think Alek/Alec is a common diminutive of Alexander in Scotland so it's not worlds away from that.

AllegraLilac Sun 23-Jun-13 15:15:36

I had a letter addressed to Philicitie today. I'm Felicity.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sun 23-Jun-13 14:54:45

I only know a Shawn and Neeve (disappointed)

TheRealFellatio Sun 23-Jun-13 14:41:31

milky there was an MNer recently on one of these threads who said her name was Alyiousa and she said is was pronounced A-la-wisha.

So basically it was supposed to be the feminised version of Aloysius, which is spelt Aloysia. confusedhmm

She seemed quite determined that Alyiousa could be spelt with a wish sound in the middle and she didn't see the problem.

milkymocha Sun 23-Jun-13 12:32:50

A friend had a passport renewed that got delivered whilst i was visiting her.
She showed me the new passport and i asked her what her middle name was with a confused face.
She replied 'Louise!'
The name was spelt 'Lousie'
It was not a passport error and no one had ever mentioned that typo before confused

Shes 24. She spells it Louise regardless

edam Sun 23-Jun-13 12:31:57

Connah must be a traditional variant as there's Connah's Quay in North Wales (although presumably that was a surname).

forgetmenots Sun 23-Jun-13 12:30:07

Calum's the traditional spelling choco!

Worst I've seen is Klayre for Clare

JRY44 Sun 23-Jun-13 12:24:46

I have taught a Xaq (Zach), a Conna, Konna, Conar, Connah and a Konner ...

Manchesterhistorygirl Sun 23-Jun-13 12:08:26

I know a jaden.

It's Jayden really.

tapped Sun 23-Jun-13 10:43:51

I live next door to a DAISEE... hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now