to think you don't go on holiday whilst having a high risk pregnancy and without adequate insurance

(708 Posts)
Defenderwife Sun 04-Oct-15 10:57:56

Woman gives birth after food poisoning whilst on holiday in the Dominic Republic.

She had a cervical cerclage so knew she had a high risk pregnancy.

Her insurance didn't cover her entire pregnancy.

They are now stranded with a premature baby in a foreign country with no financial help and are relying on donations and GoFundMe.

I have made a donation but inside I feel almost angry. Why on earth have they let themselves be in this situation? That poor poor child.

Defenderwife Sun 04-Oct-15 10:58:37

ink{http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/stranded\www.eadt.co.uk/news/strande]]d}couplee_sdesperatee_pleatoo_helpsavee_prematurebabyy_indominicann_republic11_4257831

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 04-Oct-15 11:02:33

I kind of agree with you. The amount of money they need to raise and the sums involved are enormous. I suppose they thought they had it covered though-wasn't she born only a matter of hours difference to qualify for an insurance payout?

Awful situation for them. There's a lot of publicity though, so maybe they'll reach their target.

Defenderwife Sun 04-Oct-15 11:03:31

I hope they do manage. They must be absolutely petrified.

shutupanddance Sun 04-Oct-15 11:04:50

I agree. But surely the insurance company should pay out. Very mean not to.

twelfstripe Sun 04-Oct-15 11:04:58

I thought that this would be another one of those crowd funding ones.

Yanbu

Having had cervical cerclage shs would have been advised not to travel and insurance wouldn't have covered her.

Sheer stupidity and recklessness on her part

VegasIsBest Sun 04-Oct-15 11:14:14

Insurance companies are businesses and won't pay out because it would be 'mean not to'. This couple made a very unfortunate decision to travel without sufficient insurance. I wish them and their baby well. But certainly wouldn't contribute.

WanderingTrolley1 Sun 04-Oct-15 11:15:13

Yanbu.

AyeAmarok Sun 04-Oct-15 11:19:15

Oh here we go again. It's that daft New York couple all over again, but worse!

And insurance policy is a contract. Insurer will pay if X, Y, happens, but Z is excluded.

If you decide to do something stupid that makes Z happen then they won't pay, that is not "mean". That is the contract you bought. Perfectly fair.

cleaty Sun 04-Oct-15 11:19:57

Sadly there are people every year who end up in terrible situations because they didn't have travel insurance, or were not covered for existing conditions. We don't realise how lucky we are not to have to think about the cost of medical care, until we are in a different country.

I wish them and their baby well. It must be a very scary time for the parents.

AyeAmarok Sun 04-Oct-15 11:24:46

I feel very sorry for Evie that her parents have put her in this position sad

AyeAmarok Sun 04-Oct-15 11:24:51

I feel very sorry for Evie that her parents have put her in this position sad

Madbengalmum Sun 04-Oct-15 11:26:48

I feel sorry for the child, but who in their right mind travels abroad especially to what is a very distant and backward country, when they know they are at high risk of complications?

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 04-Oct-15 11:28:53

YANBU, it's Dax's parents all over again.

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Sun 04-Oct-15 11:32:45

I wish them well. But no, I would not donate. Incredibly stupid to travel so far in an already complicated pregnancy.

Palomb Sun 04-Oct-15 11:33:42

I saw this as someone who's had multiple high risk pregnancies, 2 premature babies and 2 cirvical suture.

What a pair or absolute idiots. Poor child.

Palomb Sun 04-Oct-15 11:34:23

Cervical. You'd think I'd bloody know confused

aBrightNewDay Sun 04-Oct-15 11:35:22

The insurers aren't paying out because they say that in the UK time zone she was over 29 weeks.

In the time zone where the baby was actually born, she was under 29 weeks.

I don't think it's the parents' fault in this instance, but the insurers??

aBrightNewDay Sun 04-Oct-15 11:36:15

"Sharon Halls and Daniel Compton’s holiday insurance covered medical costs up to 29 weeks of pregnancy, but little Evie was born after 28 weeks and six days at 10.45pm Dominican time. Due to the difference in time between the two countries, Evie’s care now has to be funded from the couple’s own pockets."

TheFairyCaravan Sun 04-Oct-15 11:36:36

YANBU at all.

They need to contact the Daily Fail like Dax's mum and dad. They're missing a trick already, think of all the new furniture and white goods they could be getting as well! wink

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Sun 04-Oct-15 11:36:49

Looking at the story it also looks like they would have overstayed the expiry of the policy anyway. Yes there is this whole issue of time difference. But unless hospital admission meant they missed their flight, presumably they were aware the end of the holiday was uninsured? There seem to be some details missing there

KimKK Sun 04-Oct-15 11:36:53

YANBU but I do feel sorry for them. They're silly but it must be so frightening.

Viviennemary Sun 04-Oct-15 11:37:09

Of course one has to sympathise but I do wish people would take some responsibility and think of what could the consequences be of their actions. Why go so far away with a high risk pregnancy without insurance. What a silly selfish irresponsible pair.

specialsubject Sun 04-Oct-15 11:37:23

that will mean that over 29 weeks of the pregnancy have elapsed - no payout.

stupid people. It is 100% their fault to go to a risky country with a risky pregnancy.

cleaty Sun 04-Oct-15 11:37:33

That does seem unfair of the insurers. Maybe the parents need to challenge the insurance companies decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now