I am not sure older women can do 'artfully dishevelled'

(246 Posts)
PittTheYounger Tue 05-Aug-14 19:35:39

without just looking knackered.

StackladysMorphicResonator Tue 05-Aug-14 19:37:51

Correct.

StackladysMorphicResonator Tue 05-Aug-14 19:38:32

However, you can do crisp white shirt and jeans in a 'I just threw this on' kind of way. That works.

I don't think it's an age thing necessarily. I've always looked like a bag of crap.

MaryWestmacott Tue 05-Aug-14 19:40:21

Yanbu, there's a tipping point in your early -mid 30s when you stop looking a bit boho and artistic, and start looking like you live alone with several cats.

The older I get, the more groomed I need to look.

BarbaraPalmer Tue 05-Aug-14 19:40:22

yy
I used to be great at both scruffy-chic, and granny-chic.

Am now 37 and the "chic" part no longer applies, and I have to do actual high-maintenance grooming for work sad.

PittTheYounger Tue 05-Aug-14 19:41:02

Me too. I think you can suit a look

for eg in ruffles and gypsy skirts ( remember them) I looked like I was in dressing up clothes. I suit plain lines. I cannot do wide legged trousers or wide skirts.

I look like a NOB in boyfriend jeans and converse. Or a female builder of some type.

PittTheYounger Tue 05-Aug-14 19:41:19

Cant do tea dresses -ditto dressing up.

PittTheYounger Tue 05-Aug-14 19:42:11

WHEN i grow up I am going to be Rene Russo in thomas crown affair

PittTheYounger Tue 05-Aug-14 19:42:51

OR thingy off the Game of Cards

I would love to be thingy off honourable woman but those wide leg blue trews blew it for her

PittTheYounger Tue 05-Aug-14 19:43:00

HOUSE of cards

gah

I looked 'artfully dishevelled' this morning when the damn delivery man bought a parcel at the crack of dawn 7 o'clock
It took no effort atall, smoky eyes smudged mascara
Hair ruffled, grubby dressing gown chucked on, it's easy grin

Picklepest Tue 05-Aug-14 19:43:46

Zandra Rhodes? Vivienne Westwood? Goldie hawn? What do you mean by older anyway? Kate moss usually looks like dragged through a hedge but people love the way she looks. And she's 40? Either the look suits you or it doesn't IMO.

PittTheYounger Tue 05-Aug-14 19:44:07

You know those Home county women - all blonde highlights and fading tan?
my mum calls them 'affluently elegant'

I likey

BarbaraPalmer Tue 05-Aug-14 19:44:30

Gillian Anderson in The Fall is what I aim for only fatter. I like a blouse nowadays.

PittTheYounger Tue 05-Aug-14 19:44:40

goldie hawn SHE IS AN EXAMPLE of how it doesnt translate past kinda... lets say... your early thirties * throws bomb in *

PittTheYounger Tue 05-Aug-14 19:45:15

pickle I am sure there are celebs it works for
can winkleman get away with her look in ten years or will she looks like she needs a room in a hostel for the night?

Pitt whoarr there!

I'm 46 and look good in loose jeans and converse, as I do in skinnies and a floaty top.

It takes a bit more fake tan and there's a stodgier middle [fucking menopause] and the make up takes longer to look natural.

Takes a good hour grin at least.

Purpleflamingos Tue 05-Aug-14 19:46:58

Agree the older you get the more high maintenance you need to look.
Used to be a brilliant grunge, then boho chic. I'm 37 now and the only 'just pulled this on' look I can pull off is my leather jacket with skinny jeans.

Purpleflamingos Tue 05-Aug-14 19:49:07

I can pull off tea dresses though. I love them. The thirties and forties style suit my figure much better.

SaucyJack Tue 05-Aug-14 19:50:19

When I'm 48, I'll be ecstatic if I fail at being artfully dishevelled as badly as Helena B-C.

MaryWestmacott Tue 05-Aug-14 19:50:30

Picklepest- those three woman always look a bit shit. Kate moss in her own day time clothes looks rubbish but with a beautiful face.

Milmingebag Tue 05-Aug-14 19:52:05

You don't need to overprimp and stress over this crap.

Yy to high maintenance, I'm considering a super short blonde crop for ease but that means a lot of visits to the salon.

Bugger, it's expensive getting older grin

ephemeralfairy Tue 05-Aug-14 19:55:35

I can't stand that wispy boho look. It never ever suited me, even when I was 21. I'm early 30s now with strong features horsey. I need clean lines and strong coulours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now