Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To hate it when women trying to lose weight

(72 Posts)
lifehasafunnywayofhelpinguout Thu 26-Jun-14 22:12:19

Say "Oh I was dead good today. I never had any chocolate/cakes/crisps ect. What do they mean they were"good'. Going shopping for a poor housebound old lady/man. Giving up your time for a good cause. Donating to charity Iw being " good', no saying 'no to chocolate ect.
X

Toofertaffer Thu 26-Jun-14 22:13:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

passmethewineplease Thu 26-Jun-14 22:14:56

It's just a turn of phrase.

I wouldn't let it get you that much.

EatShitDerek Thu 26-Jun-14 22:14:59

Its just a saying.

Its not like its offensive.

You are overthinking this.

Is telly really that bad cos of the football?

DontPutMeDownForCardio Thu 26-Jun-14 22:16:19

Well you chose to post this instead of using the time to go shopping for an old person so how good have you been?

HumphreyCobbler Thu 26-Jun-14 22:16:29

I hate it too. I am not being naughty if I eat chocolate, I am eating some bloody chocolate. It is very infantilising for grown women to speak of themselves so imo.

mommy2ash Thu 26-Jun-14 22:17:19

seriously yabu to put so much thought into a phrase

slightlyglitterstained Thu 26-Jun-14 22:17:51

I walked past a frozen yoghurt stand the other day, which was plastered with cheery notes pointing out their product was "guilt free!"

They can fuck right off. I actually rather liked their frozen yoghurt last time I bought some, but can't stand the whole fucking moral judgement about eating, FGS.

i hate it when they criticize what everyone else is eating, <<it's you on the diet not eveyrone in the world>>

Frontier Thu 26-Jun-14 22:18:19

I find it annoying because i know they won't lose weight with that mindset, not because i care about how good they are or judge them on their definition of good

biscuit

Didactylos Thu 26-Jun-14 22:18:27

it irritates me too

seriously, you are a grown woman.
It is a biscuit biscuit
Eat it or not, I don't really care.
but I would really much rather you didn't come up to me begging for praise, like a toddler with a full potty....

Smartiepants79 Thu 26-Jun-14 22:18:33

Well, clearly they mean they have been good in their eating habits.
Not eaten any 'naughty' food or given in to temptation.
The word good has many meanings and many contexts to which it can be applied.
Not sure it's worth hating......

ShakesBootyFlabWobbles Thu 26-Jun-14 22:18:38

People can do benevolent things as well as avoiding chocolate, it isn't mutually exclusive.
I can't say this bothers me in the slightest.
YAB a bit U.

Kleptronic Thu 26-Jun-14 22:19:14

Actually I'm with you on that. If I have to hear one more litany of what a colleague has or has not eaten that day I think I'll chew my own ears off.

UrethraFranklin Thu 26-Jun-14 22:19:49

hmm All of mumsnet should stop praising their children when they're good in school then - not as if they were out saving the world. You concentrated all day? Who cares, you're 9 years old, you should be out helping old ladies cross the road, you little shit.

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 26-Jun-14 22:20:43

I hate it too. If you want the cake, bloody eat it. If you don't, then don't eat it. It's not about being "good" or "naughty", it's about self discipline. I also hate it when I see people nibble at food. Eat it or don't eat it, but don't sit gnawing on miniscule bits of chocolate bar for the best part of an hour.

FreudiansSlipper Thu 26-Jun-14 22:21:35

well if you look at how food is marketed to us is it any surprise

why is treat food usually very high in calories

how many adverts are there where a women is rewarding herself with chocolate or having a naughty piece of cakes

I find this far more annoying that someone feeling that they have to justify what they are choosing to eat

AlexReidsLonelyBraincell Thu 26-Jun-14 22:22:00

There's lots of calories in ears Klept you might want to rethink that and have a nice salad instead. grin

I do agree though, droning on and on about diets, commenting on my lunch. Fuck off!

AlexReidsLonelyBraincell Thu 26-Jun-14 22:26:09

And, if one more person asks "are you fasting today?" I'll...I'll seethe inwardly at them, while plotting their demise.

I am eating a bit healthier actually, but don't like to broadcast it. 1, it's boring. 2, it's nobody else's business. 3, it'll give certain people a license to make even more stupid comments.

UrethraFranklin Thu 26-Jun-14 22:27:34

I don't mind the talk about dieting - at least they're trying to be healthy (in the context of cutting out crap and preparing healthy meals). Rather than do Juice+ shakes for a month, losing a few pounds then plastering it everywhere about how great they are, do you want to lose 6 stone in a month? exaggeration I'd rather eat my food than drink it, thanks smile

i cant take crisps to work because of the guilt , and I am stick thin not I could do with going on a diet like the rest of them but I dont want the resulting discussion!

cake have a slice or two

Allsosad Thu 26-Jun-14 22:31:34

I have been good today, I had some rice cakes with only one centimetre of Nutella on them !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now