AIBU to pretend I saw nothing?

(106 Posts)
Morgause Sun 13-Apr-14 09:54:47

We live on a lane just wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass each other. Also we live on a bend at the top of a hill. We 3 families who live in houses on the inside of the bend never park on either side of the road because houses lower down the hill cannot see if the road is clear to pull out. A few of times we have been asked by the police or support officers to move cars that are causing an obstruction outside our houses (we live near a school) but they haven't been ours. Also few years ago there was an accident lower down and we all received letters asking us not to park on the bend.

If cars are parked there it is also very difficult to get in and out of our drives.

Recently a man living 500 yards down the lane has bought himself a huge 4x4. He doesn't have the competence to park it on his drive without several attempts so has taken to leaving it outside our houses on the opposite side of the road - there are no houses opposite just school grounds. Our neighbour has asked him a few times not to but he pays his road tax and can park where he likes, he says. We have resisted talking to the police about it because that seems petty.

Anyway, last night as I was drawing our bedroom curtains I saw a visitor pulling out of next door's drive and he bashed into the 4X4. I heard the scrape. The driver (a friend of the son of NDN) drove off quickly. This morning I can see that the paintwork is badly scratched.

My inclination is to say nothing, even if asked. AIBU?

TheFarceAndTheSpurious Mon 14-Apr-14 09:07:55

You'd think he would be able to work out the house from the angle of the dent.

Bogeyface Mon 14-Apr-14 09:11:36

Isnt it amazing what people suddenly find they can do when they need to? Things that had previously been deemed impossible are now doable because it will cost them otherwise!

I agree that the OP shouldnt lie if asked directly, but frankly a scrape is the least of what could have happened to this car, he could have been directly responsible for a very nasty accident with his shit parking. He has learned his lesson hopefully, and hopefully so has the young lad and will be more careful in future.

Charlieboo30 Mon 14-Apr-14 09:21:42

I'm in two minds over this one. On the one hand, he's parked dangerously and this will probably teach him a lesson.

On the other, it's property that he has paid money for and I'd be extremely annoyed if this happened to me and the other person drove off. If the OP 'heard the scrape' then it's going to be bad, not just a little scuff. Little scuffs you expect but not if it's taken half the paint off! As someone who has just been quoted £500 to repair a stone chip on their paintwork (quite deep and dented) it's not going to be a cheap job!

I think I wouldn't go out of my way to see him but if he asked, I wouldn't lie.

Morgause Mon 14-Apr-14 09:45:05

If I saw a pram or wheelchair or mobility scooter scape a car parked on the pavement leaving very little room to pass I'd say nothing because the driver shouldn't park on the pavement. I feel the same way about this.

He's unlikely to ask me anyway we aren't even on nodding terms.

AchyFox Mon 14-Apr-14 12:17:08

Why doesn't he just park it across his own drive ?

Morgause Mon 14-Apr-14 12:27:32

His wife wouldn't be able to get her car out without him moving it if he did that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now