to be fed up with school thinking it is okay to keep giving my sons a bible and asking them to pray?

(210 Posts)

I don't have any issue with people following whatever religion or belief that they choose.

However, despite going to a non-denominational school, both my sons are now in possession of two copies (each) of the New Testament. These have been handed out at school assemblies by persons unknown and they have been asked to pray at the end.

I am sure that the school population wont be exclusively Christian.

We are of no religion, neither of my son's have any religious beliefs.

I'd like to remove them from worship in school, they don't want to make a fuss or be made out to be "different" by sitting out. I respect that, but it really annoys me.

The home and with parents is the place for this. I have no issue with religious education as this gives my children the opportunity to learn what others believe and to make their own choices, but worship is another matter.

BumpyGrindy Fri 07-Mar-14 21:42:50

Calm down. They're books. Not bombs.

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Mar-14 21:43:35

The worship part is weird

I genuinely thought non denominational schools didn't do this?

I'd have no problem with the bibles though, they'd just end up in the recycling.

Dinosaursareextinct Fri 07-Mar-14 21:43:56

This is pretty awful. Sounds more like a Billy Graham session than classroom teaching confused. I'd say that the Head is an evangelical Christian and is abusing their position.

I know what they are Bumpy - do you think a Christian family would be happy to have their children handed out copies of the Koran?

Annunziata Fri 07-Mar-14 21:44:19

They don't have to pray, they can just sit quietly. It's not a big deal.

Annunziata Fri 07-Mar-14 21:44:52

do you think a Christian family would be happy to have their children handed out copies of the Koran?

It wouldn't bother me.

They do sit quietly as they are respectful of others. That's not the point, it makes them uncomfortable that the session is finished with "let us pray" and they are effectively not given a choice.

It isn't right imo

Annunziata - tbh - if it was a bible one week, the koran another and whatever else another it wouldn't bug me so much. If it was purely educational it wouldn't bother me at all. It's the presumptuousness of the worship that bugs me.

ScarletStar Fri 07-Mar-14 21:48:01

I would go completely off my tits about it. I'm not an atheist but: Religion is like a penis. It's okay to be proud to have one, but don't think with it, don't take it out in public and definitely don't shove it down people's throats. grin

I wouldnt mind my child (raised by two atheists) being goven religious texts as how else will she be exposed to religion enough to decide for herself which if any she wishes to follow?

I would take umbridge at her being forced to bow her head and pray if she didnt want to.

It isn't worship really. Reflection is a part of every religion ... and even if you don't believe, you can say 'no thank you' ...

The Head was formerly the Head at a Catholic High school.

Waltonswatcher1 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:50:02

Can't you just teach them to respect all religions whilst ensuring they have a sound understanding of your beliefs . So they just sit quietly through the prays but don't join in . You can offer an alternative view at home . The bibles aren't evil documents , they contain stories - surely you have story books at home !
I say this as a complete non believer , I just raised my kids to respect all faiths whilst having the strength of character to question what they were told at our local school - which happened to be CofE.

Annunziata Fri 07-Mar-14 21:51:14

No one is holding a gun to their head and making them pray. They are asked to pray if they want, and to sit quietly if they don't. It won't kill them.

AICM Fri 07-Mar-14 21:52:02

The school has to have a daily act of collective worship broadly Christian in nature. You are free to withdrawn them if you wish.

What's your problem again?

Scarlet- spot on!

If the books/extracts from them were being handed out in RME by their teacher as part of a lesson that is fine.

To have them handed out by an outside group at a year assembly including prayer is not imo.

Theknack, these are 12 year olds, they are not going to stand up and say no thank you in the middle of an assembly. They quietly opt out and therefore their objection is not noticed/recorded.

Coldlightofday Fri 07-Mar-14 21:52:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlewhitebag Fri 07-Mar-14 21:54:15

I have a copy of the Koran. It sits on the bookshelves beside my bible. Both relate to the same God. Praying is just quiet reflection. Children can decide for themselves if they believe or not. I wouldn't over worry about it. They are not being indoctrinated onto a cult.

GreenLandsOfHome Fri 07-Mar-14 21:54:41

My children are in a non-religious school but they still have prayers at the end of every day and in assembly.

They are not asked to pray - they just say "let us pray" so effectively they are disobeying by choosing not to.

They are raised to respect others beliefs if you read the previous posts.

They don't have to have a daily act of collective worship. I know I am free to withdraw them if you read the OP. However they don't want to stand out from the rest of the group.

NK2b1f2 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:55:26

Scarlet grin

OP I think your post that the Head was formerly at a Catholic school holds the clue.

I would be furious - and I am Catholic! I find it completely ridiculous to ram religion down pupil's throats like that.

BumpyGrindy Fri 07-Mar-14 21:55:50

Slender a Christian I would be perfectly happy for my children to be handed any holy book from ANY religion and to learn about it. I would also be happy for my children to speak to Atheists about their thoughts on religion too. Why wouldn't I?

I'm not afraid of knowledge.

But why does their objection have to be noted?

If you don't like something that has been put on your plate you just ignore it and leave it alone.

My 6 yo is quite good at it!

Annunziata Fri 07-Mar-14 21:57:06

they are disobeying by choosing not to.

No they're not confused You sound like you're spoiling for a fight really, I think you're making a big deal out of nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now