to not understand why so many young ladies carry handbags on the crook of their elbow.

(127 Posts)
glasgowsteven Tue 14-Jan-14 13:52:38

Huge heavy handbags....this cannot be comfortable or even good for you...

fashion victims in the real sense of the word..

My granny with her cats bum faced used to carry a bug handbag this way...

Kids these days eh...harrumph etc

wigglesrock Tue 14-Jan-14 14:17:58

In the words of one time pop princess Billie Piper "because we want to" Does that help you out?

BelaLugosisShed Tue 14-Jan-14 14:18:26

I actually meant coal-man but you get the jist.

Damnautocorrect Tue 14-Jan-14 14:19:11

that's how I hold mine, get back ache with a cross crossbag. And as pp said I'm also ashorty so they are unflattering.

Juno77 Tue 14-Jan-14 14:20:23

Also, I can't work out how this makes a bag easier to steal - ladyVetinari please explain as I actually cannot work this out at all?!

I'm so confused at the OP's 'fashion victims in the real sense of the word..' comment.. I just really don't get it?!

It depends on which handbag I am using, some of them have straps long enough to go on the shoulder, some of them I can get up to my elbow and some have to be held in the hand.

I didn't realise that I am a fashion victim or moron on some days of the week and others not. I thought I was just doing what was more comfortable to me.

gaggiagirl Tue 14-Jan-14 14:21:40

Another moron here then.

My reasons?

Small shoulders

Short arse

Giant bag full of stuff.

Does it really matter? sorry my elbow crook offends you.

sydlexic Tue 14-Jan-14 14:22:06

So I can hide my wobbly bits behind it. Now that would be a big bag.

BillyBanter Tue 14-Jan-14 14:22:36

I have one bag I carry this way. It's not very big or full or heavy. It is funny I suppose how these things have fashions, but no funnier than how other things have fashions. How to wear a scarf is another one.

Handbags over the shoulder aren't good for you either.

I can only presume the people objecting all wear rucksacks on their backs using both straps etc.

Mitchy1nge Tue 14-Jan-14 14:23:42

I don't understand why people carry handbags at all really

have got some but is just a brilliant way of losing all your stuff at once if you forget it somewhere

DontmindifIdo Tue 14-Jan-14 14:24:48

Depends on the bag, but I often carry bags like that, it's actually often more comfortable. I need to carry big bags often because years of having changing bags have got me in the habit of carrying lots of stuff about and I can't travel light anymore but this means they can be uncomfortable if worn carried on the shoulder/in the armpit if you have a bulky coat on/have a lot in the bag. across the body is often uncomfy for boobs and can also mean it hits on your hip/bum as you walk (esp if you have a bouncy walk, I hated my satchel style bag hitting my arse as I climbed the escalators on the underground).

Plus if you commute, having the bag at your front so you are certain you aren't hitting anyone with it is good. When I commuted with a satchel style bag, I found it really stressful as it felt more vunerable for pickpocketers, it's hard to sneekily take something from a bag carried on the front on someone's arm, much easier from a bag hanging loose worn on their back/hip.

And finally, if you've spent £800 on a bag, its nice to hold it in a way so that people can see the bag (mind you, I carry cheapo high street bags the same way). grin

bebbeau Tue 14-Jan-14 14:27:10

And finally, if you've spent £800 on a bag, its nice to hold it in a way so that people can see the bag

i wanted to say that dontmind , but daren't. well now i have lol grin

I carry my medium sized bag in the crook of my elbow, I'm in my 40's.

All of the reaserch and actual medical data shows that carrying a bag on your shoulder causes damage.

Most if the previous female generations behaviour and eating habits caused back and bone problems.

Big bags are in fashion, but some women use them as general shoppers as well.

I agree that carrying a bag nearly bigger than yourself, looks a bit silly, if you don't need a bag that big.

Other than that, we shouldn't be carrying a bag on our shoulder and the crook of your elbow is more difficult to snatch than just having it by the handles.

Pagwatch Tue 14-Jan-14 14:29:58

I'm very old and carry mine like that.

"And finally, if you've spent £800 on a bag, its nice to hold it in a way so that people can see the bag"

My spending limit is £100, there are some fabulous shades of blue bags just hitting the designer shops that will filter down quickly.

Bags are part of your outfit and should be showed off.

idlevice Tue 14-Jan-14 14:32:11

Slebs first started doing it cos carrying a massive branded bag in front of their body apparently makes them look smaller in comparison & they probably get more free stuff from the designer as it's so prominently on show in that position. Then it's just trickled down to the high street now. Same as wearing massive sunglasses is supposed to make your facial features look slimmer.

On the school run I see most of the girls from the local secondary schools carrying their bags in this way. At first I thought how can they lug all the books around like that then I realised all their work must be on a computer these days & what an old biddy I've become!

KatnipEvergreen Tue 14-Jan-14 14:38:01

Some bags are designed to go on the shoulder. Some bags are designed to go on the arm. That's it really. Fashion.

In the winter I don't need a bag at all as I've got a big padded coat with lots of pockets.

JohnCusacksWife Tue 14-Jan-14 14:41:43

I agree with the OP. I always think girls who carry their bags like that look a bit affected and daft. I think it's got something to do with the hand and wrist waving about aimlessly in mid air....just looks a bit "dolly-birdish".

HyvaPaiva Tue 14-Jan-14 14:47:38

I can only use top-handle bags that go over the elbow due to the hand and shoulder difficulties of my disability. I put the bag over the elbow of my non-dominant arm and then can reach into it using my dominant hand. Without this option, I'm not able to use a bag easily at all. I can't hold them in my hand or over my shoulder without either pain or the bag falling from me.

It hate to say 'I'm disabled that's why' but it's true grin It's just a fact that some of us need to carry a bag this way. So, YABU!

KitZacJak Tue 14-Jan-14 14:49:33

Mine doesn't fit on my shoulder so I do this but am hoping to get a new bag soon so I don't have to.

Beeyump Tue 14-Jan-14 14:49:49

Just another thing for me to be exceedingly uptight about, yes! grin

Apparently I'll look back on my crazy bag-carrying style and be amused/ashamed...who knew. Because we all do that, fondly remember how we carried our handbags.

Beeyump Tue 14-Jan-14 14:51:20

Oh yes, and I am a 'young lady'. A rather small one with annoyingly slippy shoulders. YABU

jacks365 Tue 14-Jan-14 14:53:18

Is it only "girls" carrying bags like that who look affected and daft so am I ok cos I'm in my 40's. Stupid shoulder strap is just the wrong length for me and bag gets caught up in the bottom of my coat unless it's on my arm. I should be ok though because I'm obviously not a dolly bird.

My bag is big because it doubles up as a changing bag.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 14-Jan-14 14:53:31

I am ancient and I often carry mine that way. If I'm on the phone / holding a child's hand / have a bad back / just because I can and I can't find a tiny fuck to give what anyone else thinks!

Binkybix Tue 14-Jan-14 14:58:43

It's one of my pet hates. I don't know why and I know I'm the one who's being silly about it but it really irritates me when I see it. Agree with whoever said it looks a bit 'dolly bird-ish' and trying to copy slebs.

CitrusSun Tue 14-Jan-14 15:05:27

It looks so stupidly pretentious and as much as everybody tries to justify it, it's just another fashion trend for sheep, who just follow the pack. << mourns the loss of individuality >>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now