To think this is unacceptable

(165 Posts)
Sisterelephant Thu 02-Jan-14 22:00:28

This lady updates the FB page of our local children's centre. She asked me a few months ago to like the page as she was now taking over it.

There are daily updates on frankly what I think is unprofessional and should be checked before going live.

Things such as using the word 'grate' for great, putting xxxxxxx at the end of status' and general terrible grammar.

Now, I'm not perfect, my grammar is rubbish but I would get a second opinion if I had a similar job.

AIBU to think its not acceptable?

I'm too chicken to complain but want to have a moan, yes I have too much time on my hands

looking down on people who can't spell properly (aren't educated adequately, perhaps), what else would you call it?

THECliffRichardSucksEggsinHell Thu 02-Jan-14 22:50:38

I think she means that people who complain about other people's poor spelling and grammar are snobs.

I tend to agree and as I say, I'm also a bit of a pedant who gets worked up at mistakes on restaurant menus but I would never pick on an individual. That just comes across as bloody mean. Particularly when it's none of your business and has nothing to do with the service they are offering.

i do tend to notice spelling mistakes but that's as far as i go really. who cares? unless whoever is responsibly really is teaching literacy. my old boss was university educated and constantly making them!

500internalerror Thu 02-Jan-14 22:54:30

This has reminded me - I 'liked' the fb NORAD Santa page as I thought it would be cute for the kids. But I couldn't show them because the spelling and grammar was terrible! For them, it would raise questions about the authenticity of Santa! I think this is a similar situation. If the lady is doing it voluntarily, that's very commendable. But it still leaves a bad impression.

gah. responsiblE.

I met a nursery nurse the other week who told me she had the reading age of a 6 year old. She was lovely but my heart sank. People who work with small children should be educated and intelligent enough to help the children in their care with their early learning.

a carer of nursery-age children, i would rather they were just really good with my child tbh.

Of course that's important too. But when they're toddlers or in the pre-school room and looking at letters, it would worry me if their carer was illiterate.

it wouldn't actually worry me that much, not sure why. i'd be concerned if my dc's teacher was illiterate though. doesn't being a teacher sort of mean you have to be good at everything?!

WooWooOwl Thu 02-Jan-14 23:18:17

I agree that it's unprofessional, it creates the wrong impression of a place that's supposed to be about early years education and support for parents.

Maybe the other staff don't look at Facebook and just let her get on with it.

Yes-I think so! Or should mean that anyway. And at the very least (VERY least) you have to be one step ahead of the children. This girl wasn't.

RandyRudolf Thu 02-Jan-14 23:21:39

I work in a professional office and some of the emails I receive are shocking. If it wasn't for some of the secretaries and admin staff who pick up these errors in letters before posting I think we would be a laughing stock.

MatryoshkaDoll Thu 02-Jan-14 23:22:21

Expecting people to have basic literacy and an awareness of what's appropriate in a professional context isn't snobbery.

I wouldn't get away with it in my job.

it depends on your profession though, doesn't it? i would care less about a retail assistant than a solicitor, for example.

MatryoshkaDoll Thu 02-Jan-14 23:27:55

I think you should have professional pride and high standards in whatever you do.

Otherwise it's like saying you don't care if it's not 'important' enough.

not everyone CAN spell or use grammar correctly though. I'm shite at maths but i wouldn't expect to be insulted for it.

Nanny0gg Thu 02-Jan-14 23:42:12

Gah! Why is it considered snobbish to wish for proper spelling and grammar in a business/professional situation?
Why do standards have to be low rather than high? What is wrong with publications actually being correct?

It's lovely that she's volunteered to do this for the Children's Centre, but that doesn't mean that it can't be checked before it's shown to the public.

And I'm sure there must be a tactful way of doing it.

WooWooOwl Thu 02-Jan-14 23:42:13

I'm shite at maths too, and nor do I expect to be insulted for it. But because I know I can't do it, I don't have a job where I need to do it, and I don't broadcast my inability to do long division to the people I serve professionally.

Sisterelephant Thu 02-Jan-14 23:43:44

She is the receptionist so I doubt she works with the children too, I'm not sure.

I'm not doubting that she may be great with the kiddies, if she does help them, but this is about professionalism and how the centre is viewed. I was already attending and loved it before I liked the fb page, but had I used the fb page to help me decide wether to go, I may have thought differently.

it's a bit difficult to totally avoid having to read or write in most jobs though. Ogg it seems to be only me who considers it snobbish if that helps?

afromom Thu 02-Jan-14 23:44:41

I find it quite shocking that some people have such low expectations of the people who are providing the first few years of education to children! Anyone working within the children's centres that I work with would be expected to have a basic level of literacy and numeracy.

I understand that some people have difficulty with spelling, punctation, grammar etc, however there are plenty of jobs that do not require this. Promoting a business over the Internet and providing early years education for children are roles that do (rightly so) require a certain level of literacy.

With regards to the OP, I maintain that this is a failing of the centre, and should have been sorted by the centre already. Allowing someone to promote the business without checking what is being written is very bad practice and could be very damaging for the centre. Hopefully they are not expecting an Ofsted anytime soon, as this is just the sort of thing that could be bad news. Imagine talking to the inspector about their great Facebook page that they use to promote the centre, then directing them to this page!

Nanny0gg Thu 02-Jan-14 23:45:02

not everyone CAN spell or use grammar correctly though. I'm shite at maths but i wouldn't expect to be insulted for it.

And would you volunteer to do the accounts for an organisation then? Out of the goodness of your heart? Best not to, really.

There are rules for spelling and grammar these days, and if you know you're not that 'good' at it, then ask someone for help! What she says may be spot on, she just needs help in putting it on the page.

okay, i agree a receptionist should have a basic ability to spell correctly...

Sisterelephant Thu 02-Jan-14 23:45:59

Oh and nothing to do with snobbery I'm as common as muck in any organisation you have to positively represent that org, if the work done right and looks bad on her and on them.

i would volunteer if i fancied a massive headache!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now