Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be disgusted by Lady Gaga on the x factor tonight?

(150 Posts)
happydaze77 Sun 27-Oct-13 20:39:04

Do itv not realise that the clocks went back and it's only 8:30?! FFS Lady Gaga, put on some clothes!

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:49:00

I also don't want my DD or DS's to grow up thinking that kind of imagery us normal and even at this age if they saw it often enough they would.

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:31:31

The video feature in an O2 advert that I saw for the first time at 9.30am this morning shock sorry if I was unclear

WilsonFrickett Tue 29-Oct-13 17:27:38

So we've been talking about two separate things? I haven't even seen the video.

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:26:04

Humping not jumping blush

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:25:05

It was an excerpt from the video so not the performance itself and it was very sexual.....google the video there's bound to be a you tube clip of the advert somewhere. She looks like she's jumping balloons

WilsonFrickett Tue 29-Oct-13 17:19:31

But small children don't understand context. They form understanding of it, of course they do, but they can only contextualise within their own experience.

I very much doubt for eg if my DS8 would have taken sexual context from Gaga's performance - which I did watch, in full, not just an ad. But actually, that's probably because it wasn't that sexual. As I said up top of the thread, I thought it was odd. I didn't get it. But I don't think it was particularly sexual, certainly not in terms of Miley/Rhianna etc.

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:18:20

I suppose we all draw our lines in different places but it doesn't mean the level of acceptability can't be challenged from the other end of the spectrum.

For what's its worth the pop video (what I saw of it in the O2 advert) is inappropriate for day time TV.

usuallyright Tue 29-Oct-13 17:18:02

also, if you watch closely, Gaga had a wardrobe malfunction.
One of the shells fell off the bikini top, so she removed the other one. The shells followed the 'Venus' theme, they completed the look etc.

usuallyright Tue 29-Oct-13 17:15:22

why? Because people like having sex, being sexual, provocative and sexy. Look at artists like Prince, Madonna, George Michael, Aerosmith, The Doors, Elvis, Tina Turner, Cher etc etc.... Music is sexy, dancing is sexy, human beings are very sexual. We communicate through music and dance. Look at Strictly. They're almost having sex when dancing, most of 'em. Sex is what makes us tick.
Keep the seedy Robin Thicke/Rhianna type stuff away from the kids, but Gaga in a bikini? Can't see an issue.

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:12:32

usuallyright I didn't say belongs I said most comfortable, but I'm glad you enjoyed my attempt at humour.

wilsonfrickett it's a huge disservice to young children and insult to their intelligence to presume they don't understand context.

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:08:16

Dove not dive

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:07:46

Not really there was a dive advert a while ago with naked women in it, the context was appropriate and not sexualised at all. Why else are female pop artists exposing themselves? I don't need to see nakedness to appreciate music.....

usuallyright Tue 29-Oct-13 17:06:36

it's not much different. Elvis was on the telly. He was banned from certain programmes. He caused moral outrage.
People will always mix music and sexuality until the world stops turning. I keep my younger daughters away from the likes of Rhianna and Miley, especially rhiannas last video and Hannah Montana naked on a wrecking ball=no thanks.
But Gaga? I see what she's doing, what motivates her, and that performance was tame, really tame. I don't get the moral outrage, I really don't.

Strumpetron Tue 29-Oct-13 17:06:35

akifden there a few photos where she looks a bit 'chunky' and the media tried to bully her about it. Horrible.

Strumpetron Tue 29-Oct-13 17:05:40

An it's shit how if a woman bares flesh it's always about sex. Fucks sake some of just like embracing the bodies we have and not covering up! If you associate nakedness automatically with sex then that's your problem.

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:03:51

What is wrong with this phone!! Sorry again. I don't think she looks particularly heavy thlconfused could that be some spin to possibly grab more media attention?

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:02:10

I don't think she l

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:01:35

Sorry.... Sometimes you learn things but to compare media exposure if Jim Morrison or Elvis to the media exposure a musician has today is too simplistic media has changed massively in even just the last 5 years

Strumpetron Tue 29-Oct-13 17:01:21

Lady Gaga expresses her sexuality without doing so to appease men. That's what I like. She was told to tone go back to how she was at first - think thin, 'normal' and men thought she was 'fit'. She refused and carried on being the woman we know and love.

I think it's brilliant to see a woman on TV like her. Who's not all about being sexy for your man but feeling it for yourself.

Her music isn't usually my style at all, I'm an oldie metal fan, but I like hers and I like what I've read about her and what she's done for women's and gay rights. Which most celebrities in her position don't give a fuck about.

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 17:00:26

I don't mind a difference of opinion it's great to debate somet

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 16:59:35

Someone who sounds as capable of having a conversation with their child as the poster I was responding too? Wasn't that clear?

WilsonFrickett Tue 29-Oct-13 16:58:48

Please don't tell me I'm being ridiculous. I find it very rude.

usuallyright Tue 29-Oct-13 16:57:38

Akifden, when you say 'missing the point'
I think you meant to say: 'having a difference of opinion'
And 'putting my head back wherever it belongs' is the funniest insult ever. Thanks for the much needed giggle.
Surreal.

Akifden Tue 29-Oct-13 16:56:46

Don't be ridiculous that's how under fives learn they understand more about context than anything else! How else do you think they understand language, inference and a million other concepts so quickly

WilsonFrickett Tue 29-Oct-13 16:51:55

Also I think children under 5 are the ones we shouldn't be worried about. They have no context - it's just a silly lady wearing a bikini singing a song, or Elvis groin-thrusting. Incidentally Elvis was considered so shocking that even hearing him on the radio was a corrupting influence - no need for instant media.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now