To be sick of the current public slating off teachers!

(380 Posts)
Belle15 Thu 25-Jul-13 20:58:26

Just feel teachers are criticised from all angles at the moment and we work damn hard for very little financial gain or thanks!! Would like to see any of the people moaning about us actuallu spend a day in our shoes.Needed a rant! confused

LisaTaylor2 Mon 28-Oct-13 16:17:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Arisbottle Sun 28-Jul-13 08:59:03

IME the teachers ago think they are marvellous are often the grumpy can't be bothered types. When they don't get the results it is the fault of SMT, parents , the children - anyone but themselves .

As a person who thinks I do an OK job, if my class don't get the results I start with myself .

alreadytaken Sun 28-Jul-13 07:51:54

but I know a very miserable teacher who thinks he is wonderful. He cant understand why most of the students hate his classes and the parents aren't grateful. TBH I don't see him as competent but he teaches bright pupils and they get good results regardless of the teaching so he gets away with it. Fewer pupils take his subject to A2 than you would expect as they are put off the subject but that is something no-one seems to notice - or if they do they dont care about it.

Most people told they moan too much would at least try to stop moaning as often, teachers start threads moaning about being told they moan smile

ravenAK Sun 28-Jul-13 06:19:05

alreadytaken - nope, if you're going to quote me, I'd have to say that the 'miserable but competent' types are usually under no illusions as to their own performance.

I work with one, pleasant enough lass, who will cheerfully tell you she's all about the holidays & will be quitting as soon as her dh says she can hmm. She does a just about passable job, stays under the competency radar & won't be missed when she leaves.

What you actually can't do these days as a teacher is what you're suggesting - be a miserable git, & yet be 'self confident' & think yourself officially wonderful. You have regular lesson observations, which if you are a misery in the classroom will come in at a '2- good' at best, & that's assuming your exam results are impressive.

There are teachers who are grumpily, but competently, going through the motions - but they really aren't doing so in a happy haze of imagining themselves to be marvellous! grin

On the whole, if you want to know why we moan so much, you can generate some reliable chuntering just by telling us we moan too much...

scottishmummy Sat 27-Jul-13 21:30:30

Teachers aren't more derided than any other professional group on mn
maybe a vociferous minority feel got at.plenty professional jobs are misrepresented in life on mn
And to an extent thats the way it goes,not right,not fair but cest la vie

alreadytaken Sat 27-Jul-13 09:13:15

to get back to the OP - I think I've finally sussed why teachers moan so much. On yet another thread about teaching it was said that teachers need to be self-confident and only those who are stick around. Someone also said "That said, there are plenty of miserable old (& young) buggers just going through the motions competently enough. Their classes might not enjoy their lessons, they probably hate the job, but if the kids hit target they're untouchable." The problem is all those miserable buggers are so self-confident they think they are wonderful when in fact they are at best average. The parents, or at least some of them, can see that and hence you have unhappy teachers, parents and students. Don't think there is an easy solution to that so I guess teachers will be moaning forever.

Caster8 Sat 27-Jul-13 08:55:54

sm enjoys goading. Anybody will do I think.

MrButtercat Sat 27-Jul-13 07:21:50

And plenty do.

If you can't comment on observations from close quarters and only your own very narrow experience half the threads on MN wouldn't exist.

Caster8 Fri 26-Jul-13 23:28:24

We all know that we can say, dp says, exh says, dh says whatever.
The rabbit said...

scottishmummy Fri 26-Jul-13 22:40:25

Like most,I had range of teachers from shouty to inspirational

mignonette Fri 26-Jul-13 22:34:23

The psychological load from one's own schooldays surely must colour how teachers are perceived by adults? How can it not? Many of us have polarised experiences. We rarely remember the adequate, only the really good and the really bad. Hence the heated comments.

SirChenjin Fri 26-Jul-13 22:30:56

Bless??!

scottishmummy Fri 26-Jul-13 22:28:40

Ahh bless this could go all night
Me rebuking your piss poor putdowns
You must wok on that deskside manner

SirChenjin Fri 26-Jul-13 22:27:04

Don't you be worrying about that. Drink up your milk.

scottishmummy Fri 26-Jul-13 22:24:05

Gosh hope you're no a teacher wi that deskside manner

SirChenjin Fri 26-Jul-13 22:22:54

Night night Scottish. Scoot.

scottishmummy Fri 26-Jul-13 22:20:59

Chenin,given your not moderator you don't get to say whose had their jotters

scottishmummy Fri 26-Jul-13 22:19:39

Alas,no petty name calling doesn't make you look too clever
So we disagree?and I'd expect more than youse a bad un
Will you go back and upbraid others or just me?

SirChenjin Fri 26-Jul-13 22:18:44

Away with you Scottish, scram. Time for a wee hot milk and bed.

It is an emotive area. Teachers see hundreds, if not thousands, of children over the course of a teaching career, whereas parents have a couple of children (maybe less, maybe more) who are the most important things in their lives. To hand them over to a teacher who is recognised as a bad teacher is gut-wrenching, whereas knowing that they have a good or excellent teacher for the year is an absolute joy and relief.

MrButtercat Fri 26-Jul-13 22:13:12

Scottish have already posted,feel free to scroll down,you're beginning to look like a bully(and slightly unhinged).

scottishmummy Fri 26-Jul-13 22:09:10

Jolly good,and what does dp say
Seeing he so vocal

MrButtercat Fri 26-Jul-13 22:09:06

Thanks SirCh smile

Thought you made a good point in your post,it is an emotive area when you have dc involved.

MrButtercat Fri 26-Jul-13 22:07:26

Really hadn't noticed,don't actually give a shit tbh.

SirChenjin Fri 26-Jul-13 22:07:07

Buttercat's been pretty insightful and didn't hold back from voicing her opinions. Read the whole thread. It helps.

scottishmummy Fri 26-Jul-13 22:06:14

I note I'm not the only poster to note your my dp said posts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now