Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To feel very sorry for Raffaele Sollecito?

(268 Posts)
MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 01-Jul-13 10:36:47

He was interviewed on that turgid telly programme Daybreak this morning. He has a re-trial hanging over his head and says he doesn't know how much longer he can go on.

I'm in the 'they weren't involved' camp, but even if I wasn't, he was acquitted of the crime he was accused of. Surely it isn't right to dangle this over his head forever. Imagine living with that. Must be awful.

I remarked that I felt sorry for him to another parent this morning who was discussing it and she said "Well your sympathy is misplaced." hmm I don't think that I am being U in feeling sympathy for him, or Amanda Knox.

RoooneyMara Mon 01-Jul-13 18:25:47

A lot of people are stating it as fact. That's the problem I have got with it. Having an opinion wasn't the right way to phrase it - sorry. Sating our opinions as fact, when they are based on what? seems foolisha nd wrong.

Of course the jury and prosecutors and so on were not there but they certainly know an awful lot more about it (from both sides) than any of us here.

DolomitesDonkey Mon 01-Jul-13 18:36:01

Sollecito's family is very wealthy. VERY wealthy. They employed the same lawyers that the mafia (and Berlesconi) use - and they couldn't get him off completely.

AmIthatSpringy Mon 01-Jul-13 19:02:23

Fair enough * RoooneyMara* FWIW I agree with you about opinion and fact. I am also wary of those who have "heard" from others in the know. If there is insider information it is either illegal or unprofessional to share it, surely /

If you look at the Oscar Pistorius case, this is a prime example of spin, distorted facts, apparent access to forensic reports, quotes, misquotes, all wrapped up as entertainment for the public. There, too, we have people quoting as FACT, what is merely an opinion. And that is those that think he is guilty of murder, and those that think it was an accident. It hasn't been to trial yet, so no-one can know all the evidence.

An opinion that they are fully entitled to have, but is just that - an opinion

zoobaby Mon 01-Jul-13 19:16:14

Sympathy I have is based on the fact that he was tried - guilty - time in prison - appealed - freed - oops hang on we'll bring you back. That is awful.

Knox need never fear being extradited back to face the same circumstance. That is not fair.

Hope they get it right and justice is served, whichever outcome.

EllieArroway Mon 01-Jul-13 19:19:26

I don't think anyone on this thread has suggested it's a FACT that they didn't do it - you can't ever say that about any case, ever (which is why "beyond a reasonable doubt" exists - because there will always be some element of doubt).

I think it's pretty factual that there's no evidence implicating these two, and that's what I'm basing my opinion of their innocence on. And I don't accept that there's people in the know who are aware of details not available to the rest of us - it would have come out in the trial or been leaked by the prosecution by now. All these people who tap their noses and claim the police/diplomatic service "know stuff" are talking bullshit. It can't be very compelling if it didn't come out at the trial or subsequently.

And really - expensive lawyers couldn't get him off, so..........? Is that supposed to be significant or something?

If any of you lot are summoned for jury duty, do us all a favour....... make up some excuse and decline. Please hmm.

Clawdy Mon 01-Jul-13 19:21:29

Don't have the slightest sympathy for either of them.

NapaCab Mon 01-Jul-13 19:22:55

Amanda Knox is pretty safe in the US as they will most likely not agree to extradite her to Italy for re-trial but I feel sorry for Sollecito too as as he is Italian so there's no escaping his own justice system. He should pull an Edward Snowden and skip the country to go somewhere that doesn't have any extradition treaty with Italy as the trial was a farce at this stage and a retrial would be an even bigger farce.

I really feel most sorry for the Kercher family though. How can they deal with their grief and move on with all the publicity and pointless speculation?

Wuldric Mon 01-Jul-13 19:27:28

Is this a piss-take?

Why are you so involved with this case? Why does it matter so much? They were either (a) guilty or (b) hanging with the wrong crowd. The bloke who pleaded guilty implicated them (with no reason to do so) and there's a whole heap of circumstantial evidence ... Stoners can do bad things. You are being carried away because of their age, class and race. This is not Steve Biko we're talking about. We're talking about lazy middle-class over-entitled potheads who may or may not have committed murder. Save your sympathy for someone worthwhile.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 01-Jul-13 19:31:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Nerfmother Mon 01-Jul-13 19:32:31

I don't think you can say there is no evidence. There is. The book by the journalist on the case ( really good, also did a study on the monster of Florence case) went through the eye witness accounts, the messages, the various statements, the DNA, the phone and Internet records. There was a lot to cast doubt on their innocence. Not enough, hence the current situation. I have no idea one way or another but you can't say there is no evidence.

Wuldric Mon 01-Jul-13 19:36:21

It stands to reason that you are more likely to have sympathy with people you can identify with. It is human nature.

And this is what is so objectionable. You identify with them so you sympathise with them and you are therefore incapable of looking objectively at the facts. They are complete twats whether or not they murdered poor Meredith. But because they are pretty white and middle-class you are prepared to overlook their behaviour and believe in their innocence despite the evidence.

Actually, I think your behaviour is reprehensible. Voyeuristic and over-indulgent. These people are adults.

Snazzywaitingforsummer Mon 01-Jul-13 19:40:53

I read the John Follain book on the case, and tbh felt almost more conflicted at the end of it. It did suggest to be that Sollecito and Knox had behaved strangely in many ways (not answering phone, all the extravagant hugging and kissing right outside after discovering the murder etc) but then behaving strangely is not a crime. I think if I'd been on the jury and it had been tried under the British system, I would have felt that they'd done some odd stuff but that I would be unable to say they were guilty on the balance of things so they should be found innocent. Plus there is all the DNA evidence for Guede's involvement, so there doesn't seem to be much doubt that he certainly was rightfully convicted. I would be interested to read Sollecito's book to hear his side. The press has portrayed him very much as a smitten sidekick to Knox, the person they are fascinated with, rather than an individual in his own right.

mrstowers Mon 01-Jul-13 19:40:56

Sollecito's family is very wealthy. VERY wealthy.

Yet people are donating money!

It concerns how niaive some people are.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 01-Jul-13 19:42:19

Don't be ridiculous. You can look at facts and decide.

Jeremy Hunt is also white and middle-class. I don't feel any empathy/sympathy for him at all as he has inextricably been found guilty of his crime. I also read a lot about the Carl Bridgwater murder and the Birmingham Six. Miscarriages of justice interest me.

Why are they twats? What had they done prior to being thrust under a spotlight? confused

I think you're trolling a bit, too.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 01-Jul-13 19:43:54

So what if his family are wealthy?! My father is wealthy but it doesn't mean he has a never-ending pot of money to fund trial after trial should I ever be convicted of a crime!

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 01-Jul-13 19:46:46

Also, Luke Walker who has been found guilty of manslaughter in Crete, despite evidence being very shaky and jury members texting throughout the hearings.

I have donated to his family, too. He is local to me, lots of us gave money. His poor dad has had to sell his business and home to pay for the trial/flying witnesses out to Crete etc.

Wuldric Mon 01-Jul-13 19:56:01

Just because I am pulling you up does not make me a troll. You can check my posting history. No history of trolling. You are just being silly and I am telling you so clearly and plainly. That is not trolling.

They are not worth the effort. I don't know whether or not they were playing at being bad or actually being bad and no-one ever will know that. If you want a cause, find something useful FGS

TidyDancer Mon 01-Jul-13 19:56:02

I was going to write a longer post then realised I basically just agree with Wuldric.

So....yeah. What Wuldric says.

Twitchycurtains Mon 01-Jul-13 20:01:16

As stated up thread, my sympathies lie completely with the Kercher family. The way the Knox family manipulated and courted the American press/media during the original trial was in the worst possible taste and incredibly insensitive of Meredith Kercher and her family.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 01-Jul-13 20:02:21

You can't really pull someone up for feeling sorry for someone though, can you mate? It's basically pulling someone up for having a different opinion to you and that just doesn't work. Unless you are so up your own arse that you cannot accept that people feel differently to you.

And calling someone reprehensible for that^ is either hysterical if you're being genuine, or a wind-up.

As I said earlier, just because I am interested in THIS doesn't mean I cannot be interested in OTHER things. I have quite a broad mind. I can think about more than one thing at a time. And it is YOUR opinion, what is useful.

Wuldric Mon 01-Jul-13 20:10:24

Oh purlease. You have donated money to this? When there are people starving in the world? And you say that I am being hysterical when I tell you you are over-involved?

<backs away from thread. Very very slowly>

I agree with twatkins. I believe they are both innocent and the perpetrator has been locked up.
The way Amanda Knox was portrayed by the media irritated me immensely.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 01-Jul-13 20:14:56

Yes, I have donated money. I also donate monthly to Oxfam. What's your point?

ZZZenagain Mon 01-Jul-13 20:17:05

if it turns out they were involved, you will feel comfortable having donated to his cause?

SaucyJack Mon 01-Jul-13 20:17:10

I agree with what you say about saving your sympathy for someone worthy Wuldric.

It's just that I think that someone who had a false statement slapped out of them during an interrogation which contravened their human and legal rights, and was then charged with murder on the basis of this and no other real evidence IS worthy of sympathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now