AIBU to feel a little weird that friend is using same name as my ds?

(108 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Sat 25-May-13 16:49:06

Friend's ds due on Friday and when we met last week she told me she would be calling her ds the same name as my ds. Ds's will be 4 months apart.

Friend was very honest and said she just liked the name when I called my ds the name. Hadn't considered it before.

I just said "oh right, very nice" as I couldn't say much else!

I know AI(prob)BU but I just feel a little surprised that there were no other names she liked!

Hand me a grip smile

TeWiSavesTheDay Sat 25-May-13 16:51:33

There were 2 girls at my school with the same name for exactly this reason. The 2nd born was very grumpy about it.

Was a strange coincidence though, because they were born thousands of miles from where we went to school when their dads were working abroad.

TeWiSavesTheDay Sat 25-May-13 16:52:22

Ahem, I meant to say YANBU if they are local! It's a bit odd unless they'd already chosen it.

mrspaddy Sat 25-May-13 16:52:31

Hmmm.. YANBU but I wouldn't say anything to her. wouldn't even hint you are annoyed. It is very strange though.

BedHog Sat 25-May-13 16:53:11

That is a bit wierd, unless you don't see each other very often, or live in different towns. Even stranger if it's an unusual name, I'd be pissed off if I'd chosen something a bit different and she'd copied. Of course if the name is Jack/Oliver/Josh/Harry etc then you'd be more prepared for there to be lots of them.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sat 25-May-13 16:53:24

I think I would be a bit miffed if my friend gave their child the same name as mine. Unless the name of your child is already a popular one?

Pinkflipflop Sat 25-May-13 16:53:59

V local, we meet up often as part of a group of friends.

Pinkflipflop Sat 25-May-13 16:54:25

Name is Reuben

ShadowStorm Sat 25-May-13 16:55:01

YANBU. I'd feel weird about this too. You'd think there'd be other names they liked, especially if they'd not considered it before you named your DS.

Does your friend live near you?

Pinkflipflop Sat 25-May-13 16:56:00

Friend live around 10 miles away.

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 25-May-13 16:56:26

I wouldn't be happy but I got flamed for moaning about people using a similar name to dd so the 'you don't own a name' brigade will be along in a minute

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sat 25-May-13 16:56:50

Hmmm that is quite a popular name though. I would be less bothered by that.

ShadowStorm Sat 25-May-13 16:57:19

Reuben's not all that popular at the minute is it?

Agree it would be less odd if your DS had a name that was in the top 10 like Jack or Oliver.

plummyjam Sat 25-May-13 16:57:24

I'd be very flattered. It's obviously a good name for you to have chosen it for your DS, hopefully it's one that will stand them both in good stead for their future lives!

Intrigued to know what it is BTW?

Pinkflipflop Sat 25-May-13 16:59:25

Ds's name is Reuben.

C0smos Sat 25-May-13 17:01:02

Odd

I had my heart set on a name, then one of my best friends used it 6 months before mine was due. I was a bit gutted and did at one point contemplate asking her if she'd mind if we used it (we live an 11 hour flight apart so not like they would spend much time together).

In the end I saw sense and chose a different name.

I am expecting again and have mentally crossed off the list all my friends and rellies kids names, which is surely the sensible thing to do unless unless there really is a strong reason to use a name e.g family tradition etc.

VashtaNerada Sat 25-May-13 17:03:03

YANBU. It's one thing is she said "I'm really sorry, I'd always intended to call my son Reuben after my much-loved Great Uncle Reuben" or something, but to decide after your son was born?? That's weird.

IvanaCake Sat 25-May-13 17:03:21

I would think it very strange but don't think I'd be pissed off about it. Are the 2 reuben's likely to endup at the same nursery/school?

lljkk Sat 25-May-13 17:03:52

I don't get the discomfort, why can't OP feel flattered that friend likes her taste? You don't baggsy a name.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 25-May-13 17:05:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 25-May-13 17:17:03

Yanbu - I would secretly not like it,as you have. But you said the right thing to your friend.

Chottie Sat 25-May-13 17:18:20

There are not many Reubens where I live. I would be a bit fed up tbh.

emstats Sat 25-May-13 17:21:42

But... From her point of view, would you NOT call your child the name you wanted because of someone your friends with at the time? To be fair, friends do tend to come and go (or is that just me??) But your child is stuck with the name you choose forever.

SuffolkNWhat Sat 25-May-13 17:22:02

YABabitU

Unless you have coyrighted the name then you don't get a say I'm afraid.

If this baby is a DS then it's name will be Reuben but I appreciate we don't know you!

Floggingmolly Sat 25-May-13 17:22:25

Very odd. It's a bit single white femaleish, isn't it? hmm. It's not exactly on a level with painting her fence the same colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now