Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

The Rooney's New Baby 'Klay' - Brother to 'Kai'

(140 Posts)
MomsNetCurtains Tue 21-May-13 11:50:00

I've never seen Clay spelt with a K.

Maybe they are starting their own Kardashian style family. All the 'K's...

Has anyone ever seen it spelt like this?

JesusInTheCabbageVan Tue 21-May-13 11:51:55

Just so long as their middle names don't also begin with a 'K'. That would be awkward.

TheSecondComing Tue 21-May-13 11:53:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Tue 21-May-13 11:54:43

should we call her Kolleen..

cat Tue 21-May-13 11:54:49

Lol at kawful

Or Kol even

boschy Tue 21-May-13 11:55:12

I have to apologise right now, but this has truly brought out my inner snob. Klay with a K??? Clay with a C would have been bad enough (Dallas, anyone?), but Klay with a K is just Kapallingly Kawful.

BinarySolo Tue 21-May-13 11:56:17

Wasn't overly keen on Kai but I think Klay is horrid. The spelling doesn't make sense to me as I can't think of another word starting kl. I really hope this does start a trend.

GeoffVader Tue 21-May-13 11:57:02

Enough is enough, it is their child and it is absolutely their choice what they call that child. Grow up, the lot of you, this is why people think lowly of MNetters half the time

DebsMorgan Tue 21-May-13 11:57:27

Meh- it really isn't that bad I don't think. CLay isn't a name I would choose but it is not awful and it sounds the same when spelt with a k. He is a boxing fan and apparently it is a bit of a Mohammed Ali choice. I have heard so much worse.

BinarySolo Tue 21-May-13 11:58:21

I hope it doesn't start a trend.

The odd use of ks has warped my tiny little mind!

marzipanned Tue 21-May-13 11:58:59

I really like the name Clay. It's quite common in the US, short for Clayton. I do find it a bit weird when families change the spellings of words in order to have all their kids' names starting with the same letter (see Kaleb, Konnor, etc) but it's their business, as long as it's not something the kid's going to get bullied for.

Each to their own. This is the third thread now about this. Its their child and they will name him what they want.

This K snobbery is a load of bollocks tbh. Either way its pronounced the same. Klay/Clay, why the fuck does it matter? confused

squeakytoy Tue 21-May-13 11:59:42

oh come on Geoff, they were announcing it all over twitter before the first nappy had been filled...

MrsApplepants Tue 21-May-13 12:00:10

Klay is one of the worst names I have ever heard. They've basically named their baby after mud. But with a K

That would be Kmud then MrsA grin

hopkinette Tue 21-May-13 12:02:18

I don't care that they call their child. Why the fuck would I?

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 21-May-13 12:04:03

The name is fine, isn't there a boys name Clayton, often shortened to Clay.
I think mostly in the US though.
So they stuck a K on it, so what, I think Klay Rooney sounds quite cool.
The only problem I foresee is the similarity between the names, if you're calling Klay it sounds too much like Kai and vice versa.

boschy Tue 21-May-13 12:04:55

lol at Kmud! ok, each to their own and all that, but what did they expect? Kolleen and Kwayne, if you are reading: I'm sure he's a gorgeous boy and everyone will know and love him as Klay.

OrlaKiely Tue 21-May-13 12:05:54

I don't care what they call their child but it's not that easy to say iyswim. I am having trouble with it, sitting here muttering to myself.

TheSecondComing Tue 21-May-13 12:06:53

DebsMorgan Tue 21-May-13 12:06:54

You are having problems saying Klay? or Klay and Kai together?

OrlaKiely Tue 21-May-13 12:07:21

Do people really think Kai is pronounced 'Kay'?

I always thought it was Ky. As in sky.

If it is pronounced Kay then you've obvs got a problem

2margarinesonthego Tue 21-May-13 12:07:29

Klu and Klux also start with Kl.
Oh and Klan.

Struggling to think of anything else.

TheSecondComing Tue 21-May-13 12:07:59

ProphetOfDoom Tue 21-May-13 12:08:13

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now