to think most people would assume you share tapas?

(107 Posts)
AaDB Thu 02-May-13 21:32:40

Why suggest going for tapas, take part in a discussion to ensure a good mix is ordered and then take your food and say you will not be sharing?

Maggie111 Thu 02-May-13 23:02:14

Tapas is my idea of a nightmare - food gets all mixed up, I'd rather eat what I ordered than have 30% of what I'd like and a mix of what everyone else thinks is good.

I always say to friends I don't like tapas when it is suggested - and push for another restaurant.... However if everyone wants to go I could go along with the crowd and depending on how the conversation went I might not pipe up "this is my food by the way" before it even arrives..

If people were asking each other "What are you going to order? I'm going to order x, if you order y we could also get z..."

I might just sit there and think it would be a bit weird to say "Well I'm ordering ABC and you can't have ANY!"

Yuk tapas!

plantsitter Thu 02-May-13 23:08:40

I only go for Tapas with people I know well enough to say things like 'oi! Stop eating all the pimentos!'. Otherwise the silent tension of desperately wanting the last garlic mushroom yet being too polite to eat it or watching as someone else pops it down their neck is too much for me.

whois Thu 02-May-13 23:25:56

I only go for Tapas with people I know well enough to say things like 'oi! Stop eating all the pimentos!'

^This

Or to places where you order a couple of dishes at a time ad jus keep on going, ordering more of the same if required. Tapas with more than 4 people is always a disaster tho.

starfishmummy Thu 02-May-13 23:31:40

Tapas started as a morsel of food to go with a drink; so by that reckoning they are not for sharing.

Nagoo Thu 02-May-13 23:40:10

When I've been in a big group we've tended to split into little factions and order a few dishes between each pair/ threesome.

I usually only go with DH.

I love tapas. Almost as much as I love the complicated and correct post about the little kebabs grin

nobeer Thu 02-May-13 23:42:29

Sorry Catgirl, totally disagree. The idea of tapas is so that you can have a try 2 or 3 different things yourself, not necessarily share a small dish with half a dozen others. Now if there's a big group of you, and you all want a tapa in common, then fine, ask for a plate of meatballs or whatever instead of a tapa and share to your hearts content.

Binkybix Thu 02-May-13 23:47:44

I can't relax when having tapas in a group unless it's close friends and we can explicitly agree how many prawns each etc etc.

GladbagsGold Thu 02-May-13 23:49:16

We once went for tapas with what turned out to be a non-sharing couple. It was not fun. It's tapas. The LAW is you share!!!

Only exception is Joey Tribiani.

CoffeeChocolateWine Thu 02-May-13 23:58:26

This reminds me of an occasion years ago when I worked as a team secretary at a company. I was arranging a team lunch for about 8 of us and asked everyone how they would feel about tapas for a change. No complaints so I booked.

So we're at the tapas restaurant and I suggest (obviously) that we choose a load of dishes and share them. One person pipes up that they're just going to order something for themselves and didn't want to share. Then another says they're not sharing either and so it goes on. EVERYBODY ends up ordering their own food and doesn't want to share!!?? Then when the food turns up they just looked at it as if to say "what the f**k is this? This isn't a meal!" and blame me for clearly booking a bit of a crap restaurant! I couldn't believe how ignorant these people were!! Everyone knows what tapas are don't they and the point of them??

I was gobsmacked and I felt sooooooooooooo embarassed for the waiter as all these twats people I worked with started commenting on the pokey portion sizes. I still cringe just thinking about it...

CoffeeChocolateWine Fri 03-May-13 00:02:11

I learnt from this that as some posters have already said, only go with people you know well! For some reason I thought it could be a nice team bonding type of lunch! WRONG!

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 03-May-13 00:02:21

Yes, to not share is to fundamentally not understand tapas

There are rules and everything.

GreenEggsAndNichts Fri 03-May-13 00:02:43

I don't like tapas for this reason. grin I could share with one other person, no problem, but once there are 3-4-more, forget it. Too many people ordering what they want and probably not what I want. It goes from me knowing I'll like at least 50% of the offerings to possibly only liking 25%.

I fret over these things.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 03-May-13 00:03:50

Maggie

You are soo losing out though. One tapas dish is boooring.

IMO

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 03-May-13 00:07:57

The place I like just has a counter full and everybody just helps themselves and they keep track with different types of cocktail sticks.

So it is sharing but its not

MidniteScribbler Fri 03-May-13 00:14:26

It depends on the group. My family and some friends are absolutely no problem. They share. But there are a few groups that I wouldn't go near tapas without a ruler to slap their hands. I had to go to a work thing at tapas once and it was a nightmare. "Oh lets all order two plates and then share" turned out to be me sitting there with no food because as soon as it arrived, they were like vultures, scooping half the dish of food on to their plates. It was really quite gross seeing grown adults acting like that over food. I had to stop at McDonalds on the way home. Now, I just say I'm busy and can't go.

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 03-May-13 00:15:10

I don't assume sharing - just get a bit if what I like.
And a pata is a hoof or paw. It's papas bravas if you are looking for a shortened word for potato.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Fri 03-May-13 03:38:00

03:33am, night feed. no tapas.....buggrit sad

Mmmmmm meatballs....Mmmmmm patas whatsits...Mmmmmm food <stares sadly at brown spotty banana>

Eastpoint Fri 03-May-13 03:48:42

GladBagsGold If I could go for tapas with Joey Tribbiani I'd let him break all the sharing rules.

ripsishere Fri 03-May-13 03:57:36

I went for tapas with my DD a couple of weeks ago. It cost a fortune and was minting. She had baby squid (they were minuscule) in batter. They were so teeny it could just have been batter TBH.
I had papas bravas (although they were advertised as patata).
My top tip is don't eat Spanish food in Penang. It doesn't travel.

ripsishere Fri 03-May-13 03:57:54

it was actually minging.

MusicalEndorphins Fri 03-May-13 05:05:04

Are Tapa's appetizers?

MusicalEndorphins Fri 03-May-13 05:11:02

Ok, I googled them. I never realized there were such cultural differences between Canada and the UK. I have learned many new things on mumsnet! grin It is not uncommon when out with friends or whom ever to order several appetizers to share for lunch or with drinks in the evening. The only time I see people not share was when it was ordered with a meal, as their appetizer.

TheRealFellatio Fri 03-May-13 05:55:22

I am a sharer and a tryer, but it's easy for me because I like most things. People who want their own and no-one else's are usually fussy types. But tapas portions are very small, it's not hard to have your own order and still have a variety as well, without sharing. Probably best if you want to make sure you get some of the thing you really like to just order three or four things for yourself each. maybe keep two and share two. That was everyone gets a decent selection of the things they actually want to try.

that is my logical and well thought out Tapas manifesto. grin

TheRealFellatio Fri 03-May-13 05:56:52

I don't like tapas for this reason. I could share with one other person, no problem, but once there are 3-4-more, forget it. Too many people ordering what they want and probably not what I want. It goes from me knowing I'll like at least 50% of the offerings to possibly only liking 25%.

I fret over these things. Oh yes, so do I. grin

Isiolo Fri 03-May-13 06:22:11

Hahahahahahaha! This has got to be a British thing?! Look at you mentalers completely ruining the whole lovely idea of tapas!

Why on earth go for tapas if you don't like sharing food? That's the whole
point

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now