Why don't they just accept that motorbikes are deathtraps and campaign against people riding them?

(258 Posts)
GoshAnneGorilla Fri 26-Apr-13 17:27:59

Instead of spending so much time and money going on at car drivers, wouldn't it be better to discourage people from using motorbikes in the first place?

TheFallenNinja Sun 28-Apr-13 08:16:27

I wanted to have a debate.

No, you didn't. You just wanted to pretend that you are clever by taking a tired, boring position on a topic that does more rounds than an Eagles comeback tour.

Don't you have another, more constructive outlet for this clearly misplaced genius?

Sparklingbrook Sun 28-Apr-13 08:59:35

Do you think it depends where you live as to what motorbike riding style you see? My driving is mainly country lanes with trips into smallish towns. Someone who drives round cities regularly will see a different style as with Motorways?

If the OP wanted a debate, they have had one, the thread has run since Friday evening.

msrisotto Sun 28-Apr-13 09:00:12

I'm not jealous that motorbikes can filter, it's when they do it in fast (I.e. not crawling) moving traffic that it posses me off because it is bloody dangerous! They filter into your safe distance between you and the car in front. I know cars often do this too but it doesn't make it right and motorbike riders are so much more vulnerable.

I have once seen a group of Harley riders driving at the speed limit. It was so unusual that my husband and I both mentioned it at the time and I remember it now. Other than that, my general opinion is that motorcyclists that I have come across speed. I think the reason that people think they come out of nowhere is a combination of their faster acceleration speed and the fact that they filter (read - cut in between cars where there isn't a safe space.)

Sparklingbrook Sun 28-Apr-13 09:06:39

I think the notion of being jealous of the filtering is bonkers TBH msrisotto. I don't tend to be jealous of other road users. grin

GoombayDanceBand Sun 28-Apr-13 10:39:52

I get a bit jealous when I'm in a traffic jam, and I see bikes going past. But it doesn't make me hate the people on them.

What makes me angry with people is when they act like twats and put their lives in danger at my expense iyswim.

I consider myself a careful driver but if someone tries to make me hurt them, it makes me very angry.

GoshAnneGorilla Sun 28-Apr-13 11:57:18

Fallen - how on earth is starting a thread in AIBU "pretending I'm clever"?

being on a bike is the most incredible experience - you feel so free. the power throbbing between your legs (snort), the execution of a perfect corner, the burst of speed so fast it takes your breath away, the pleasure of seeing a winding road stretching into the distance, the whine of the engine just before you change up, the camaraderie of nodding to other bikers who are enjoying exactly the same thing on a cool, sunny day. it's like nothing else exists except you, your bike and the road. nothing else comes close.

<ideal world.>

Sparklingbrook Sun 28-Apr-13 16:59:29

Yes claude but lots of things exist-that's the problem. grin

I see where you are coming from my Dad used to say the same. He used to go out and 6am in the morning on a Sunday though-fair weather/non rush hour biker. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now