Or was cabin crew? My child scolded herself.

(290 Posts)
maxbradbury Sun 07-Apr-13 19:42:51

Ok flying home from Easter holiday. We went with a large group of us so all four children sat in the row in front with us sitting behind them on the plane. Cabin crew come through serving hot drinks and I have my nose in a book so do not notice. All of a sudden my six year old starts to scream. She had split hot chocolate all over herself . Turns out a member of crew asked if she would like a hot drink and she asked for a hot chocolate which was given to her without a lid or my consent. A member of crew took us to the loos and dressed to burn. I asked if it is normal procedure to give a young child a hot drink without consent and a lid. She said it wasn't and they would normally get consent and even then water it down with milk and pop on a lid.

Husband wants to make a complaint but I sort of feel I was partly to blame as I was not sat with her. She still has marks on her legs five days on. So am I to blame for not sitting with her or should I make a complaint?

WipsGlitter Sun 07-Apr-13 19:56:01

It depends on the airline, I've been on flights where you get proper cups but also ones where it's a Starbucks type cup with a lid.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Sun 07-Apr-13 19:56:26

Im sorry your dd was burnt. However, i find that complaining about this sort of thing is an example of everything that is wrong with the world <over exageration>

thistlelicker Sun 07-Apr-13 19:56:34

I too thought adults had
To sit with children! What if an Emergancy and you couldn't be with them? Ie if u needed the life jackets?

Machli Sun 07-Apr-13 19:56:56

Yes they shouldn't have served her that but YOU should have been watching. I would blame myself in this situation.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 07-Apr-13 19:57:07

gawd, why complain? you're only going to get someone into rotten trouble, and to what end?

crashdoll Sun 07-Apr-13 19:57:17

YABU, you should have been supervising her. I can't stand the blame culture, where is the personal responsibility?

Blu Sun 07-Apr-13 19:57:56

It sounds as if she was scalded quite badly sad. Has she been seen by a doctor?

The thing I would want out of this is for cabin crew to know that they must not give hot drinks to small children except under supervision of a parent, whether the parents agree or whether the parents are drunk and shagging in the toilet.

I think it quite reasonable to have children directly I'm the row in front , and if that was against airline rules, they only had to ask you to re-arrange.

They never put lids on hot drinks on planes, do they?

KirstyJC Sun 07-Apr-13 19:58:16

'What's to gain by complaing' - how about a member of staff NOT giving a scalding hot drink to a small child again, causing burns which are still there 5 days later?

Christ, I must have slipped into an alternate reality here - you lot are all (mainly) bonkers!

It is in NO way the OPs fault that another adult gave her child something so dangerous without her knowledge!

OP - you MUST complain otherwise this person might do it again and with more serious consequences.

spottyparrot Sun 07-Apr-13 19:58:21

I would not complain. I think an adult should have been sitting with the 6yo and supervising her.

Bearbehind Sun 07-Apr-13 19:59:13

What is it with this blame culture nowadays? The steward probably shouldn't have given a young child a hot drink but child's parents definitely should have been supervising their children on the flight so no one is in the right- just chalk it up to experience.

thistlelicker Sun 07-Apr-13 19:59:22

Op hasn't returned yet! Many things unanswered to get clearer pic

VinegarDrinker Sun 07-Apr-13 19:59:35

I agree with Clutching

I think you neglected your child and as a consequence she got hurt. I would never dream of letting a 6 year old sit without either a young adult 14+ or an adult.

Seems you couldn't be arsed to look after her, wanted to read your book etc etc. I would be too embarrassed to complain.

KirstyJC Sun 07-Apr-13 20:00:28

And if someone gets in trouble over this, then that suggests that they shouldn't have done it, doesn't it? In which case they deserve to be in trouble.

GraceSpeaker Sun 07-Apr-13 20:00:36

More benefit to be gained from learning from the experience, I think. Don't see either how you didn't hear your daughter asking for the drink - you can't have been that far away. Cabin crew slightly irresponsible and clearly not following procedure (which was admitted), so complain if you like, but keep an eye on your children better. Did your husband not notice either, then? Must've been a very noisy cabin.

VBisme Sun 07-Apr-13 20:00:41

Sorry she's been hurt, you must feel terrible, not sure you can blame the flight attendant though.

maxbradbury Sun 07-Apr-13 20:01:09

All drinks were included in the flight. The other children were 10,9, 12 and 8.
When they were serving the meals before hand they asked me which meal they would like so I assumed they would ask again.
We all sat on the chairs that were allocated to us. Grandparents sat in the row in front of the children. There were alot of family surrounding. To be honest I dont even remember the drinks cart coming round. I don't know if I was in the loo at the time. It was a night flight but I do completely understand why people think I am unreasonable but surely the crew should of realised its not safe to give a hot drink to a six year old.

Ps it was a crew member who told me they had lids.

MixedBerries Sun 07-Apr-13 20:01:46

YABU. But I hope you daughter's OK. Air stewardesses are not trained childminders.

montage Sun 07-Apr-13 20:02:07

Is it possible she did not realise your daughter was so young, or that she assumed the oldest child in the row was old enough to be supervising/ objecting if necessary to the hot chocolate?

HotCrossPun Sun 07-Apr-13 20:03:15

Struggling to understand how you can be sitting directly behind your DC's and not notice them being served.

Did it blister? Unless she was actually injured I don't think there would be any point in you complaining.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Sun 07-Apr-13 20:03:32

I definitely think you shouldn't complain. It was up to you or your art ear to supervise. I don't think it is at all unreasonable to offer a 6 year old a drink.
How old were the other kids sitting with her?

birdofthenorth Sun 07-Apr-13 20:04:07

Poor judgement on the steward's part, and I'm sorry your DD was hurt. Possibly the steward was a poor judge of children's age and assumed a child sat with other kids asking for a hot chocolate was capable of holding it and thought she was doing a nice thing by meeting her wishes. I am sure she will be more cautious in future, as no doubt will you & your DD. Personally I wouldn't bother complaining, it will only cause you & the staff member stress and cannot reverse time. Hope you all has a nice holiday prior to this.

If there were all those adults then you should have taken turns to sit with the kids.

What did the doctor say when you took her to get checked?

DontSHOUTTTTTT Sun 07-Apr-13 20:04:46

Xposted. I think it would be very likely that the stewardess to think the 12 year old was supervising.

500internalerror Sun 07-Apr-13 20:05:10

I can see how it would've been fun for the kids to all sit together, I understand why you let them. But how was it that no adult heard what the conversation with the steward, from only a row behind? And on a safety note, I totally agree with the poster below re life jackets on an emergency. I know it's a small chance, but why take that chance? There is no way you could help all 4 children to locate & put on jackets, as only one adult would be able to stand at the end of the row.

I'm also slightly jealous, as we have to intersperse adults even in the cinema, to stop squabbles breaking out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now